Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

limited slip is an option?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 10:24 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Default limited slip is an option?

Hmmmm, for some reason I thought this was standard, but I just came across and 07 that listed it as a $100 option. Is this correct and can this be easily added by someone later if I buy one without it? It's just changing the gears in the rearend, right?

Old 07-07-2006, 10:31 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: limited slip is an option?

It was standard in 05 and 06 for the 5 speed manual. It was an option for the automatic. In 07 its not offered for the automatic at all and is an option for the manual.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:40 PM
nospeedlimit143

it's more than just a bolt-in mod and the "gears" in the rearend that everyone refers to are the ring gear and pinion gear which set the final drive ratio. the limited slip is the differential which distributes power to either side depending on tire slippage and also allows the tires to spin at different speeds when going around a corner. open diffs like in most cars put the power to the tire that slips most. limited slip diffs allow the power to go the the tire that has more traction. there are several different types which should really be used for the application you are persuing. another option are spools which are basically a solid piece that puts 100% to both tires which is bad for daily driving. i've had good experiances with torsen type diffs and recommend them for street driven cars. clutch pack type diffs are good for racing, but require more maintanence. either usually require special gear lube and more frequent service intervals.

as far as installation goes... pull the axles. drain the rearend. pull the diff cover off. zing out a few bolts and pull out the old diff. pop in the new one and set the gear lash and pinion turning torque, then reasseble.

as far as it being optional, i thought it was standard as well. anyone got any info on this?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:51 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: nospeedlimit143

it's more than just a bolt-in mod and the "gears" in the rearend that everyone refers to are the ring gear and pinion gear which set the final drive ratio. the limited slip is the differential which distributes power to either side depending on tire slippage and also allows the tires to spin at different speeds when going around a corner. open diffs like in most cars put the power to the tire that slips most. limited slip diffs allow the power to go the the tire that has more traction. there are several different types which should really be used for the application you are persuing. another option are spools which are basically a solid piece that puts 100% to both tires which is bad for daily driving. i've had good experiances with torsen type diffs and recommend them for street driven cars. clutch pack type diffs are good for racing, but require more maintanence. either usually require special gear lube and more frequent service intervals.

as far as installation goes... pull the axles. drain the rearend. pull the diff cover off. zing out a few bolts and pull out the old diff. pop in the new one and set the gear lash and pinion turning torque, then reasseble.

as far as it being optional, i thought it was standard as well. anyone got any info on this?
My application is to lay two black marks on the pavement. Thanks for the detailed post. So any 06 I buy will spin both tires if I'm stuck in the mudd.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:13 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

FYI Our 06 Convertible GT (auto) Has NEVER not left 2 black marks no matter if it's around a corner or in a straight line. lol so yea when your out muddin you spin both! 05SDI
Old 07-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

I mentioned this before, and was told here, that all GTs have limited slip rears. However, my 2006 Mustang Brochure does specifically show that Limited Slip is an OPTION for AUTOMATIC GTs. I'm going to change the rear end fluid and see. My Window Sticker did not have the Limited Slip OPTION listed, so I would have to assume it does NOT have a limited slip rear.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:08 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Alright there is a lot of incorrect information in this thread. All GT's come with limited slip differentials standard. 05-06 manual cars get 3.55:1 gears standard while automatics get 3.31 gears. For 07 all GT's will continue to come with a limited slip differential but now both manual and automatic equipped cars will come with 3.31 gears standard and 3.55 gears will be an option in manual cars only for $100. Automatics have never had the option for 3.55 gears in S197s.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

I hope this is true - which would mean my 06 automatic GT has a TracLoc!!

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

Alright there is a lot of incorrect information in this thread. All GT's come with limited slip differentials standard. 05-06 manual cars get 3.55:1 gears standard while automatics get 3.31 gears. For 07 all GT's will continue to come with a limited slip differential but now both manual and automatic equipped cars will come with 3.31 gears standard and 3.55 gears will be an option in manual cars only for $100. Automatics have never had the option for 3.55 gears in S197s.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:25 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Stooge
I hope this is true - which would mean my 06 automatic GT has a TracLoc!!

It is, I know for a fact Ford has not installed an open differential in any V8 equipped Mustang since at least '87. If you don't believe me, stand on your brakes and mat the throttle, I assure you there will be two pretty black tire marks.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

+1, this is the only post in this thread that is 100% correct

Quick Reply: limited slip is an option?