Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Black 'Stang--Freakin' water spots!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 09:12 PM
d_man777
1st Gear Member

Default Help! Black 'Stang--Freakin' water spots!

Okay, I new what I was getting into when I bought a black car, just not to this extent. Apparantly, our water is harder than I expected. I follow all the rules, but it doesn't seem to help. I never wash in the sun, I wash in sections, I dry with microfibers, wash with a mitt, blah, blah, blah. But nothing seems to matter and now I have the water spots from hell. I wash frequently, and it looks great from about three feet back, but up close and especially in the glare of the sun, the spots pop out. Not horrible, but they drive ME nuts. My wife thinks I'm an idiot, but I just can't deal with how it looks with all the time I put into it.

The worst came from the Mr. Crap car washing system. I think their soap did the worst damage of anything. A couple of months ago, I was going out in the evening and the only chance I had to wash the dirty car was in the middle of the afternoon. So, despite my better judgment, I let my wife talk me into using the Mr. Clean thing and letting it air dry. I washed it per their instructions, rinsed the crap out of it, and used the "deionized" water thoroughly to get the hard water off the car. I STILL HAVE STREAKS AND SPOTS FROM THEIR FREAKIN' SOAP!!

Okay, rant over. Anyone have suggestions? What do I do to 1) get rid of them, and 2) keep them from coming back.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:19 PM
pinoy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Help! Black 'Stang--Freakin' water spots!

Ahh the water spots from hell. I know what you mean. Sometimes i get water sprayed when i go to work by those sprinklers at the freeway. [:@] Well one way i take them out is after washing the car, wax it. Once i wax it the water spots go away. And boy does black look pretty after its waxed. I just waxed my baby today (I do it every weekend.) Takes me about three hours to wax the baby but its worth it. I use Meguires wax. Its a reddish tin can. Cost me $5 (hehe was on sale ) Well hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

You just have to give it a good coat (or two) of wax and really hand wax it well with good quality wax (meguirese etc) and they should come off. If they dont and are that bad, then you may need to buff it. If you dont want to do it yourself you can take it to a good carwash and have them do it. Nothing to be too worried about though, just dont let the waterspots etc sit there for too long.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:52 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: d_man777

Okay, I new what I was getting into when I bought a black car, just not to this extent. Apparantly, our water is harder than I expected. I follow all the rules, but it doesn't seem to help. I never wash in the sun, I wash in sections, I dry with microfibers, wash with a mitt, blah, blah, blah. But nothing seems to matter and now I have the water spots from hell. I wash frequently, and it looks great from about three feet back, but up close and especially in the glare of the sun, the spots pop out. Not horrible, but they drive ME nuts. My wife thinks I'm an idiot, but I just can't deal with how it looks with all the time I put into it.

The worst came from the Mr. Crap car washing system. I think their soap did the worst damage of anything. A couple of months ago, I was going out in the evening and the only chance I had to wash the dirty car was in the middle of the afternoon. So, despite my better judgment, I let my wife talk me into using the Mr. Clean thing and letting it air dry. I washed it per their instructions, rinsed the crap out of it, and used the "deionized" water thoroughly to get the hard water off the car. I STILL HAVE STREAKS AND SPOTS FROM THEIR FREAKIN' SOAP!!

Okay, rant over. Anyone have suggestions? What do I do to 1) get rid of them, and 2) keep them from coming back.

Thanks in advance!
One solution for water spots. Hand dry.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:26 PM
d_man777
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input so far. I ALWAYS hand dry, save for the one time mentioned. I also just glazed and waxed last weekend in the garage out of the sun. Then when I pulled it out, I saw that the spots and Mr. Clean streaks are still there (now firmly incased in a layer of wax I imagine). So do I need to clay them? I've never used clay, but I understand it's for removing surface particulates, where water spots are more of an etching?!?

Are there any techniques/products for removing these spots and streaks?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:41 PM
SpeedRacer9220
1st Gear Member

The thing that works for me is a 50/50 solution of water and white vinegar. I keep it in a squirt bottle and after I finish washing I use it on any remaining water spots that I come across.It works like a charm.The one thing it won't work on is if the water spots have been there for a long time, you know the ones I mean. I need to find something for those, my wifes car has those bad due to the water sprinklers from our yard. I have heard about a product that people use on their boats for getting off bad spots, but for the life of me I can't recall the name of it.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:42 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

Clay bar will probably do the trick. If not try a good paint cleaner like Meguiars step 1 followed by Step 2 polish. Water spot suck and drove me nuts for a long time. Once you get rid of em get a good coat of wax on her and QD after every wash to keep them under control.

Good Luck
Old 07-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

http://www.microfiber-products-online.com/mewaandto.html?OVRAW=meguiar's%20detail%20mist&OVK EY=meguiars%20detailing%20supply&OVMTC=advanced

Dude you have to get the meguair's detail mist, a good hand drying towel that can be squeezed out put back in the container for

further use later. Those leather rags don't cut the mustard anymore. Put yourself plenty of towels in your trunk with all your sprays

to have quick access to get those things detailed. Get the California duster too.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:23 PM
topless05GT
1st Gear Member

My remedy for water spots is Griot's Spray-on wax while drying, and following up using Griot's Speed Shine. The Spray-on wax does a good job of keeping spots from showing, but for the drops and drizzles that appear from the tail lights, mirrors, spoiler, etc., the Speed Shine takes care of them. Doing a daily "once-over" using Speed Shine is a good way to make it from one wash to the next.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:54 PM
HxCory
2nd Gear Member

I use this thing called a Finishing Towel or something, I bought at Wallmart for like 2 bucks and came w/ 6, after I get most of the water off w/ a cotton terry towel, I drive a little to get it dry, then I get the finishing towel and go over and it gets rid of the water spots, then I put on some Turtle Wax Ice wax, not the detail spray, and I only get water spots if it rains before the next time I wash.

Quick Reply: Help! Black 'Stang--Freakin' water spots!