Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this sound right regarding an 05

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 07:06 PM
stiej

Default Does this sound right regarding an 05

I bought my 05 brand new last March. It only has 5k miles on it as we have 2 small kids and it is primarily a "weekend" date night car right now. We have been having problems with it draining power and dying. If it sits for longer than 2 weeks, it wont crank any more. It has messed up to the point that the windows will automatically roll down and not roll back up. We have had it in the shop 3 times and one time while it was there we came to pick it up twice and it wouldnt crank. Ford could not give us an explanation. The battery was good and they can't find any problems. However, the local dealership service dept even says something is wrong with it, but since they can't tell Ford corporate what it is exactly, they won't rule it a lemon. I have seen many other cars sit for much longer than 2wks without being driven and crank fine. Is this just my car is messed up or has anyone else heard of this. Is there anything else I can do to get Ford to help me? We just got back from our 4th vacation and it has been less than 2wks that the car had been driven and it barely cranked. When you turned the key it was struggling. I don't feel comfortable having a "new" car that is having this type of problem and while the dealership is sympathetic, they say their hands are tied. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:26 PM
ohfiveride
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Does this sound right regarding an 05

mine will crank with no problem..i also have a 90 gt 5.0 that i have let sit for months that wil crank with no problem....i would find a GOOD mechanic like a friend or somebody who knows you and wont give up the battle until he finds it....thats **** sounds shady...im sure youve already checked the alternator to make sure its charing up fully the way it should..and youve replaced the battery.....i guess for now when you park it for more than a couple of day to unhook the battery....cant drain if theres no connection...
Old 07-10-2006, 08:42 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

05-09-18 Discharged Battery

a lot of people have had the same complant. the tsb doesn't really do anything its just dealship charging tips.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Silver Ponys
2nd Gear Member

Do you have a shaker 1000 in it. I had mine in the dealer for the same problems you have they told me it had a drain but couldnt find it. Now i shut the radio off when i park it and have had no more problems i let it set four weeks with no problems.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:27 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

"Does this sound right regarding an 05 "

no. although as others have mentioned, it does sound
like a minor battery and/or charging issue.....don't throw
the baby away with the bath water......work the battery issue
then enjoy the stang
Old 07-11-2006, 12:04 AM
rhein
1st Gear Member

Get a test light. It will look like a screwdriver with a point on it, and a wire coming out the other end with a gator clip on it.

With the car off, and the key off.

Disconnect the negative wire(IIRC) and use the probe light to jump from the negative post on the battery and the battery connection you just took off.

If the light lights up, you have a drain somewhere in the systyem (something's on that shouldn't be). You might need to disconnect the underhood light (if there is one, I haven't noticed)... The brighter the light the bigger the drain.