Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mustang, Gas Tank Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 12:00 PM
T.M.808
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 2006 Mustang, Gas Tank Problem

Looks like i'll be adding this to my 05 warranty list...damn,owned the car 4 weeks,and 3 warranty problems already.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Daniel06GT
3rd Gear Member

What are the other 2 problems?
Old 07-16-2006, 07:01 AM
T.M.808
1st Gear Member

minor stuff,the TSB for the front end popping,and sqeeking driver side mirror.Other than that it's a solid car.
The dealers over hear are real **** about mods,i still need to make an appoinment for the mirror *** embly,and trunk,oh,and the slow fuel fill,i lowered my car 2 1/2 inches,they will note this on my file and cause me hassels later on.I want to put 20's and supercharge etc.Can't do that until the warranty bugs are worked out..
Old 07-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Put the car up on ramps in the rear. Look at the design (shape) of the gas tank along with the size of the fill pipe. You'll immediately see why there are problems with filling the tanks with some pumps. The pumps with vapor recovery nozzles seem to be the worse. I doubt there's going to be a "good" fix that helps everyone with problems.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: T.M.808

minor stuff,the TSB for the front end popping,and sqeeking driver side mirror.Other than that it's a solid car.
The dealers over hear are real **** about mods,i still need to make an appoinment for the mirror *** embly,and trunk,oh,and the slow fuel fill,i lowered my car 2 1/2 inches,they will note this on my file and cause me hassels later on.I want to put 20's and supercharge etc.Can't do that until the warranty bugs are worked out..

please tell me this is some kind of conspiracy theory. They put mods on a "file". Is this file dealership specific or is it available to all dealers. I'm putting on a supercharger, and figured I could take it in to the dealership I bought the car from for maintenance appointments, and if I ever need warranty work I'll take the SC off and take it to another dealer for fixing. Is this not going to work then?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

No it's not a conspiracy theory, if your dealer does work and notices a mod a scratch or anything along those lines they will note it in your file, if you even notice they do a walk around of your car before they even touch it so you don't come back after you get work done and say hey that quater panel was not scratched when I dropped it off even if it was,
and yes once it is in the computer all dealers will have that info. Welcome to the information age!!!

And I will tell you what I do the same dang thing when I pick it up because after you leave weather or not they messed something up or not good luck proving that they did it, they will just say must have happened after you left....
Old 01-05-2007, 06:47 PM
matthewm

I have had the same problem discribed here. Whenattempting to fill the tank it clicks off just over half a tank as though it's full. I have a 06 GT Conv. I just took it to the dealer yesterday. They said they had to order two parts to install. They said the the sensor in the tank was telling the system it was full when it was only at half a tank. The gauge is working fine. They did not say they would have to take the tank off, but they did
say it would take about two hours to fix. I will find out more about the fix in a couple of days and let everyone know. I never tried rotating the gas nozzle or anything, but it would not let me pump more than half a tank into it.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Britinastang
2nd Gear Member

Same problem on my 06 V6. Like someone has already said here its the newer vapor release nozzles with the fancy plastic ends that cause the problem. Just have to invert the nozzle thats all. The older gas station pumpsare fine. Not ideal for a new/newish car but not a major headache either
Old 01-05-2007, 08:29 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

This issue has been posted before!

Like he said, you take it to the dealer and they replace the gas tank. Gas tank gives the car the impression that it's full when it's not which is why it stops pumping. I took it in to have it done just because I had the time to do it. Even after replacement, it gives me the filling up problem once in a blue moon. It's not that big of a deal though...you just turnthe pump tothe 3:00 position or what works best for me is completely upside down.

ORIGINAL: Stone

As was said before this was a known problem and ford did put out a T.S.B on it and the fix was to swap out the gas tank so if you encounter the problem you can take it to your dealer and let them fix it for you or find a pump that works and stick with it some people also turn the nosle to 3 o'clock or upside down and have luck doing it that way.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:05 PM
frzn pony
1st Gear Member

My 2005 GT had the same problem..dealer replaced the tank. Problem fixed first visit.

Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang, Gas Tank Problem