Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

illegal sequentials??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 04:11 AM
Mike65

Default RE: illegal sequentials??

I have the CDC sequentials. It's not the turn signals I'm worried about, I'm worried that the brake light sequence might be illegal. Although I haven't been able to find anything that says they are.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:52 AM
KdF
1st Gear Member

This is the Texas Inspection criteria.....pretty much the same

20.26 Stop Lamp. Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall be equipped with two or more stop lamps, except that passenger cars and trucks manufactured or assembled prior to the model year 1960 shall be equipped with at least one stop lamp.

At least two stop lamps are required on all motor vehicles, trailers, semitrailers, and pole trailers, except that at least one stop lamp is required on all motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and all 1959 model year and earlier passenger cars and trucks.

A stop lamp must emit a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, and be visible from a distance of not less than 300 feet to the rear in normal sunlight. The stop lamp shall be actuated upon application of the service (foot) brake and which may, but need not, be incorporated with one or more other rear lamps.

Stop lamp lens must be of a type meeting Department of Public Safety standards.

1. Inspection Procedure. Check operation and condition visually.

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. Required lamp or lamps are not present.

b. Lamp is not securely mounted to the vehicle.

c. Lamp does not emit a red or amber light which is actuated on application of the service (foot) brake.

d. Lamp is not visible from a minimum distance of 300 feet to the rear of the vehicle to which it is attached.

e. Lamp lens is painted, missing, discolored, or does not fit properly.

f. Wiring is shoddy or electrical connections are poor.

g. Lamp projects a glaring or a dazzling light.

h. Lamp is not mounted on rear of vehicle.

i. Lens is cracked or broken to the extent that a portion of the lens is missing and/or separated, permitting light from the bulb to emit through the crack or break.

NOTE: Lamp lenses cannot be repaired with repair tape or repair kit.

So in closing....I would not worry about it one bit , unless they <or whomever gives you any grief about them> can show you in Black and White what exactly is Illegal about them.

Carry on...............
Old 07-16-2006, 02:19 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I'm worried that the brake light sequence might be illegal.
+1

That is a concern of mine as well. I might eliminate the brake sequencing.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:44 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Rather than listen to us blather on about DOT approval with no knowledge whatesoever of PA and local laws in your area it seems like you have 2 choices:

1. install them and then drive around until you find a police car... pull along side, rev the engine a bit and then when the light changes, floor it... when he pulls you over ask him if the lights are ok?

2. pick up the phone and call the local police office (not 911 - look them up in the phone book)...

They won't bite I promise...

We have a canine officer in the family - he does bite, but then he does not answer the phone at the front desk...
Old 07-17-2006, 12:18 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Fyi

http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/mustfaq.html#FAQ_2

Old 07-17-2006, 12:24 AM
tomwynne
1st Gear Member

My take on this is that they are legal. I have seen city vehicles such as fire engines with turn signals that have a square, square, then an arrow shaped light sequential.
However, the brake lights should not be sequential in my opinion. When you hit the brakes, all the lights should turn on at once, not sequence from the middle outward. I wired mine to be sequential then added the wiring to make the lights turn on at once when braking.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like it's a big - maybe. Your Judge Jredd just may not know either, making your day less desireable - right or wrong.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Gprice20
1st Gear Member

I live in PA and I have seen two mustangs with the sequential taillights and around where I live everyone with a motorcycle has them. I would say go for it. Unless you either really **** a cop off or you live in an area where the cops have nothing better to do, I really dont think you will have any problems.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

Some cars have a stock third brake light that flashes already. I've seen some cars and trucks recently that the third brake light in the rear window flashes when coming to a stop, or just anytime they apply the brakes. Apparently that isn't illegal, so I don't see why sequential tail lights would be. If anything they just get someone's attention MORE.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Remrats1234
3rd Gear Member

your friends need some haterade because they are being haters!

Quick Reply: illegal sequentials??