Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Mods to Increase Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 03:22 PM
mhahnjr
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Best Mods to Increase Gas Mileage

I thought about getting the throttle spacer. I know it will help. The one you place behind the gas pedal. This makes sure you con't use too much gas!
Old 07-17-2006, 03:26 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: McChicken

ORIGINAL: blowngt

You honestly can't have more HP and better mileage even in the same sentence. The best mod for better mileage on the stang is to trade it in.
I agree, it kind of sucks. The only options that would actually work involve taking the "*****" out of the car, and I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it. If it came down to it, I'd probably trade it in for something more efficient instead. But that isn't going to happen.
Since you took my comment in stride I will help you out...lol CrazyAl gave you the best advice. Have the car conservative tuned, specifically tweak down the VCT and add some lower gears. Granted the lower gears won't give you another 20 mpg, but keeping the car in low rpm in highway driving will make the best impact without downgrading your power. You will give up the seat of your pants take-offs with the gears, but you will keep your top end and run at lower rpms in cruising speeds.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:32 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Virgule

Engine mods designed to increase HP certainly can potentially affect gas mileage if it results in more fuel flow. Some HP mods I would think only increase engine efficiency, which is what I'm interested in. Things like exhaust mods, as well as lite weight drivetrain components. What about body mods that lower drag?

I think maybe a really good slick wax job is good for at least another 200 miles per gallon!

You've definatley got the right idea. However, the problem is that modern engines are already very efficient from the factory. All the major auto makers are working very, very, hard to get their mileage and smog numbers as good as possible. There was a lot of room to improve efficiency on old motors, but with modern computerized design and testing, there isn't as much room to work.

As we discussed earlier, an air intake and headers can improve efficiency. But, it's not a certainty. First off, it's not a huge amount. Second, it's easy to get a bit heavy on the pedal, in which case you won't see any benefit from the change. (That's why I said earlier that you have to have good pedal discipline)

You also have to consider the cost of the mods. For example, if you buy a longtube header kit ($1000+) and then you have a shop install it, you could easily be spending $1500-2000. That will pay for a LOT of fuel, especially when you figure that you'll only be getting a 5% or so improvement in mileage, if that. It would take years to recoup the cost, if at all.

Weight savings, including drivetrain components, will help in situations where you have to accelerate a lot (stop-and-go city driving). They won't do squat for highway mileage. Don't forget to factor in the cost of the mod as well.

Honestly, I think that most gas-mileage mods aren't going to pay off unless you can get them really cheap and you're willing to recoup the benefit over the long term.

I would stick with the inexpensive (or free) basics: Keep your oil changed regularly. Keep the car clean, don't carry any extraneous cargo, and make sure you check your tire pressure frequently. Make sure your air filter is cleaned/replaced frequently.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

I gained 10% on my fuel economy (20 vs 22 mpg) after I installed my CAI and 93 performance tune. Of course, the switch to premium fuel used up a majority of the savings, but I do have significantly better performance and throttle response now.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:43 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Your best bet is to swap out your current v8 and convert your stang into a hybrid.

[sm=joke.gif]

IMO there is nothing that is going to significantly get you better gas mileage.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:39 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Also Tire pressure is key..the harder the tire (pressure wise) less rolling resistance..

Keep Tire pressure at the Max Amount according to your tire...
Old 07-17-2006, 07:41 PM
*~*~Mustang Kari~*~*

ORIGINAL: McChicken

You honestly can't have more HP and better mileage even in the same sentence. The best mod for better mileage on the stang is to trade it in.
I agree, it kind of sucks. The only options that would actually work involve taking the "*****" out of the car, and I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it. If it came down to it, I'd probably trade it in for something more efficient instead. But that isn't going to happen.
Since you took my comment in stride I will help you out...lol CrazyAl gave you the best advice. Have the car conservative tuned, specifically tweak down the VCT and add some lower gears. Granted the lower gears won't give you another 20 mpg, but keeping the car in low rpm in highway driving will make the best impact without downgrading your power. You will give up the seat of your pants take-offs with the gears, but you will keep your top end and run at lower rpms in cruising speeds.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:25 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

A hunk of used 2x4 placed strategically under the gas pedal will increase mileage.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

GEARS.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:02 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: allfyre

Helium balloons tied to the right foot.

A BIG block of wood under the go pedal!

I got 24mpg with mine stock (automatic with 3.31 gears) doing 80 on I-20 from Dallas to GA. Not too bad.

Mike

Quick Reply: Best Mods to Increase Gas Mileage