Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick sound coming from engine, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Barbarino
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Tick sound coming from engine, need help

To kick on and off is fine, but the click is so loud I can hear it with my radio on and blasting thru the gears...
Old 12-13-2006, 08:02 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Yeah i wouldn't worry to much about it. Mine does it when the a/c is on and my ranger before that did it too, and my sisters focus does, as does my dad's mountaineer, and my moms focus. I think it is pretty normal. If not my whole family has f'd up cars.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Barbarino
I ♥ Acer

I live in Florida I have the Ac on 11 months of the year, it's annoying. I did find this but it doesn't help:

read here

ps, my family has had
69 mustang
91 5.0
89 5.0
90 Saleen
95 Saleen
94 5.0
90 lx 5.0
2006 gt
saleen explorer xp8

only my 2006 has this problem!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:11 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

yea i heard that the day after i got my car

very annoying when windows are down!!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Barbarino
I ♥ Acer

So the dealership is calling Ford's engineer guru to come take a look at it in mid Jan, at least the dealership agrees it's loud but they said it's not their call, so I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt but I told the Srv depart head to tell this guru I ain't ****ing around, lets see what they say, but it's just goes to show you GM will survive, Ford isn't and it's sad to say that. I found the avg time per click, 14 seconds...
Old 12-16-2006, 12:24 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

This issue has been hashed out numerous times on many different mustang forums. I've never heard of anyone getting it fixed. I've had it from day one - described it in another thread as a loud pellet gun. It's "normal" in the sense that the A/C compressor works fine, its'just a loud POS. Good luck getting it fixed, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:20 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

The AC clutch might have gotten a bit wet and glazed. May be slipping a bit and making a chirping noise that sounds like a click.

And if the HVAC unit is on vent, I would not be surprised at all if the clutch cycles. It is to keep the humidiy inside the car down I am sure.

But I guess it doesent hurt to check it.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Barbarino
I ♥ Acer

They wasted their time evacing the system and filling it back up to spec, I didn't bother to tell them it was a waste of their time or maybe they get paid for it, I dunno how things work at stealerships, any who, I'm just going to bother Ford for a very long time until they fix it. I once set my fax service up to fax Merk my resume everyday for a year, it took about 11 months and I finally got an interview, I'll do the same with Ford.

At least google should pick this thread up so others can complain about idiots who designed this car. I simply don't understand how you build a car with this problem and no one corrects it for 3 years now!

I hope they are dumb enough to call me, I'm recording that call if the Ford reps call me.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:05 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Try this, I found it worked for me.
spray Belt ease on the A/C Cluch. there are centrifical weights on the cluch that "chatter"
there is another click that sounds like a Lifter Tick. it ticks for about 15 sec. then goes away
that it the lash adjusters, I had mine replaced when the Cam Phaser gear locked up.
But this ticking is normal and is not a problem with the engine.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:30 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

I don't understad why you are irritated about a cycling a/c compressor. Orifice tube systems work like this and short of you putting a TXV system in place I don't see how it will be resolved. Perhaps I don't understand your issue completely. If the compressor is cycling when it should not be on - there is an input to the PCM that is ape. The computer activates your compressor clutch relay and it does so if the temp control unit is activated as such. If the cycling is normal but the noise is just excessive, likely the best thing to do is compare it to other units. It can be deemed characteristic if another like unit is the same. That does not mean that nothing will be done about it in the future, rather there is nothing that can be done about it now given the fact that another unit with the same compressor has it - meaning that the replacement compressor will likely act the same. All I am saying is that if the compressor supplier made a noisy unit - it is not necessarily Ford's fault. In addition, the noise will not be resolved until that supplier is dropped or the part is redesigned/replaced. Why would Ford waste their time replacing a part with a known bad one? I spent some time in an 06 and never noticed it. I can't help but think that there is something unique with your vehicle considering that this noise did not alarm you until you drove in high water. I hope your dealer/rep is empathetic and understanding in addition to helpful in resolution.

Quick Reply: Tick sound coming from engine, need help