Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All 450+ HP Mustangs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: All 450+ HP Mustangs!

If you are just looking for good ole horsepower numbers go with a turbo its easier on the moter then a supercharger is. Now if you are looking at an easy power adder to drive at the track then get a supercharger. I have had both superchargers and turbo chargers on various cars in the past and I like superchargers better. I can drive a supercharged car better and no lag so all things being equal 9 out of 10 times if I was paired up with a turbo car of equal power Id win the race. If turbos were a bit cheaper I may actually buy one for my new stang but power to price ratio (of what I can buy em for), I can still get more from a supercharger then I can from a turbo.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:34 AM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

lol - some of you like bus have made some great points in the never-ending debate of turbo vs. s/c. BUT, that's not what this guy is asking.

Let me put it plain and simple. YES, there are several cars out there making almost 600 rwhp on the stock longblock but ALL of those mentioned vehicles are pro shop cars.

The MAIN thing that matters in your question is the rods, crank, and pistons. Specifically the rods and the stock drive train. Over 500 rwhp on the stock longblock is a matter of when...period. Anyone who knows anything about these cars will tell you that. Now, 'when' can be a long time if you know what you are doing. I had 556 rwhp for over a year with no problems on the stock longblock. Now bear in mind, my street driving was always on 91 octane with 0 added timing and a 'conservative' tune of 446 rwhp. I only ran the 550 rwhp tune at the track on VP110 and never ran it hot and took tempature, fuel, spark, and rpms VERY seriously. I always ran with an icebox and had A LOT of mods.

The fact is that even though I did this, I knew all along that it could go on any pass. Had I not been building a race motor anyway, I would NOT have pushed that much power no way, no how. Even though I took all the precautions I could think of the fact is I was very lucky as well.

Bottom line, if you are looking to be in this power range+ - then you need to research rebuilding your motor IMHO.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:51 PM
jonnyjon84
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ruffnuts

If you are just looking for good ole horsepower numbers go with a turbo its easier on the moter then a supercharger is. Now if you are looking at an easy power adder to drive at the track then get a supercharger. I have had both superchargers and turbo chargers on various cars in the past and I like superchargers better. I can drive a supercharged car better and no lag so all things being equal 9 out of 10 times if I was paired up with a turbo car of equal power Id win the race. If turbos were a bit cheaper I may actually buy one for my new stang but power to price ratio (of what I can buy em for), I can still get more from a supercharger then I can from a turbo.
not if that turboed car was an auto with equivalent RWHP... if u both had equal bhp, then its up for discussion (though i'd still favor the turbo)

also, way too many people misuse the term "turbo lag." smaller turbos effectively eliminate turbo lag (the response lag when already at minimum RPM to spool). the appropriate term, "boost response" is the wait period from launch to spool (usually under 3000 RPM esp with small turbos). to eliminate boost response in auto, just spool the engine right before u launch (can't do it with manuals).

not saying that u misused the term, Ruff, just some may interpret it incorrectly.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:23 AM
madmustang
I ♥ Acer

I didn't post this but one of the guys who really runs Fords did. At I think he said 375rwhp it went. The guys then rebuilt his car and used 4 valve pistons in a 3 valve engine. I read he had to bail out of it on fire.

His screen name is skycam1
His lastest thread. Take a look at some of his cars. He's a NO BS GUY

https://mustangforums.com/m_1826939/tm.htm

His pic

Joe
Old 08-26-2006, 01:44 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shaguarama

My goal is to get 500 hp at the wheels without modifying the engine internals. So is there anyone out there running this kind of power reliably? If so, do you drive your car nicely or rev it out? Any help from people who have real life experience would help. Thanks!
i dont really think you understand how much power even 450rwhp really is. be happy with that number, because it will cost twice as much to get 500rwhp (as safely)
Old 08-26-2006, 08:14 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I have seen with my eyes an 05' with 600 at the rear wheels. Contact R&E Racing in Lancaster, Ca.

note - it is sitting with the motor in pieces on the bench.

FoMoCo says these motors are only stable up to 485 bhp - after that it's a time bomb
Old 08-26-2006, 03:35 PM
kss3valve
1st Gear Member

FYI... 75 passes on a stock motor with 500rwhp 500ftlbs. The car leaves at 6k and I shift at 7,900.

Yes it is only a matter of time until the motor gives it up..... I agree. However a tuner that knows what he is doing along with a driver that can listen to the car, That is the key above and beyond anything else in terms of saving a motor and making it last for years hopefully. I am not in the business of making big power numbers on my car, that does not impress me. That is the whole reason I have not built a motor for it yet. I am only interested in winning races, period.

Just my thoughts
Old 08-26-2006, 10:00 PM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

KSS,
Stick or auto?
Slicks? What kind of 60' times are you turning?
Thanks!
Old 08-26-2006, 10:07 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Dave, The KSS car is a full blown race car, lexan, no interior etc and I am pretty sure they are running a C4 trans.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:21 AM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

Thanks bus,
I had never heard of that sort of stuff on a street car.
BTW, I'm racing at Mooresville next sat. (2 Sept) in the "poor guys" event. I probably will get spanked for lack of traction, but so be it. My starting technique it leaving at fast idle (1500), but I can still get a 1.95 60' time. I sure hope santa puts tires in my stocking...I've been pretty good this year!

Quick Reply: All 450+ HP Mustangs!