Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumpers needed...!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:41 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bumpers needed...!

The grill has 4 tabs that snap into 4 slots in the top of the bumper. If it falls down either the grill tabs or bumper slots (or mix of both) are broken. The grill tabs are more likely to break. Careful now... where is the damage? You haven't convinced me yet that you need a new bumper.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:54 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

The bumper falls down from the bottom of the grill and does not come flush with the bottoms of the lights and sticks outwards from where the bumper and the quarter panel connect on the sides of the car.. the scratches are on the very top front from the top edge to about 3 inches down, and one huge scratch about 18 inches long all along that ridge with a few other scratches underneath that , each about 1/2" by 8" long. I know, I probably dont need a new bumper, but it will at least have to be taken off and repainted and re-secured. They however are opting (so far) to just buy a new bumper.. Im not going to argue with them, and I figured that if theyre going to buy a new bumper, I would just get the money for that and pay the extra for a different one if I can find one I like.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:14 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Ok, yeah needs to be removed and examined (grill tabs too); I wasn't sure who was paying. If it was friends/family I was just suggesting that money not be unnecessarily spent. (The bumper is very flexible and resilient so a new one and the one you have may have little difference, except a few scrapes) If your tabs are broken on the grill, I may have one for you real cheap.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:16 AM
goffball5
2nd Gear Member

coincidence cause im lookin to get dual exhaust for my v6 and it would be awesome to know where to find possibly a already painted black rear bumper
Old 07-23-2006, 01:18 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

Ok, yeah needs to be removed and examined (grill tabs too); I wasn't sure who was paying. If it was friends/family I was just suggesting that money not be unnecessarily spent.
Yeah it is family, but they are offering...sooo yeah. I suggested I would get a friend of mine to look at it and toss me a quick estimate just for sanding and repainting but they said that they thought it might be better just to replace it because of the sag. So I didnt argue.. not sure which way I want to go as of yet because I havent found a bumper I like so far, then again Ive only seen 2. The Rousch one and the Saleen one.. and Im not liking either one.

coincidence cause im lookin to get dual exhaust for my v6 and it would be awesome to know where to find possibly a already painted black rear bumper
Check the post by Mlc a few up, he had a good link that has GT takeoff parts.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:20 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Not sure what you mean. ...he's got a front bumper issue (in silver). ????

oh ok, lookin for take-off parts.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:29 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Since all after market bumpers seem to suck ***... Im pretty sure Im just getting a stock one with an aggressive chin spoiler put on since its already gonna be in the shop for the bumper..
Old 07-25-2006, 11:26 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I did have a problem with the Agressive warping but it could have been from baking at the paint shop. Just a caution to you about that: Info from CDC:

Thanks for the email and bringing this to our attention. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you on this; I've been meeting with my Quality Manager as well as my prototype guys to review this issue. To be perfectly honest, no one has brought this to our attention until your email. We have this same chin on our blue Glassback, and have not had the same problem, and that car sits outside in the sun/rain almost every day in addition to being driven everywhere. We will continue to review the part as this is definitely a concern to us, but as mentioned, we have not received any other feedback on this part.

It appears to me that the Chin was bonded to your fascia and the seams filled, so that the Chin looks like it is part of the fascia. Is there any chance that the part was baked after painting? If the part was baked too hot, it is possible that warping could result. I believe the directions indicate the part is not to be baked any hotter than 150 degrees. Also, many times painters will paint/cure a part on folding racks. If the chin was baked on that rack, it is possible that the rack could cause such a condition.

A possible fix for this could be the addition of a flat piece of aluminum or steel, running the length of the opening, along the bottom/underside of the chin's opening. The metal could be bonded to the chin which should hold this area flat, and could be done without removing the fascia and chin, but only by removing the splash shield to access this area.

BTW, few things on installation: There are two screws that will show on the sides of the lower opening; CDC and folks who have it don't like to show in pics and I don't blame them. I used 3/8"lag from behind and ground off slightly below surface level and Evercoat polyester glazing fill/finish. Also you must adhesive the spolier especially along the back side at all joints. Body shop can use their molding adhesive but Liquid Nails IN HEAVY DUTY is great as it has longer working time. All get braced and let to sit overnight. Seam can be filled with seam sealer (body shop has) next day. If you look at mine it looks like one fascia piece; bumper and CS all as one. Any questions let me know; I do have fix for "warping, waviness" if you encounter that later as I did. A better solution than CDC had in write up. I would do the fix before hand so there is no chance of an issue. I lost the EMail I sent on this and would have to write it up again.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/7D715B3B28034B79B86E58A88AE486BB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-26-2006, 12:29 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

man that sucks, i hope you get it all worked out

she sounds nice though, hope you didnt get mad
Old 07-26-2006, 12:38 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I corrected the problem; it's the upper surface of the lower opening that gets wavy. Problem solved, ain't gonna worry about CDC. They seem like good people.

Quick Reply: Bumpers needed...!