Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mud Flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 06:03 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Default Mud Flaps?

Having hand waxed my car (used ICE and it's nice) recently, I've noticed the only real places where dirt takes a bit of effort to remove is on the lower panels just behind the rear tires (not sure if they call 'em "rear quarter panels" anymore these days). I've also bought some property out in the country that will inevitably lead me down some gravel and dirt roads from time to time.

They make a mud flap that will specifically fit the 4.0L V6 and there are "one size fits all" going back from the 90's to present, but those look like they'd offer less protection (not as wide).

Just curious. Does anyone here even have mud flaps on your V6 or GT ('05 or '06)? Mainly curious about the ones made for these models but interested in any mud flap feedback.

How do they look in general? Is the protection and practicality of their use worth it?

I did a search here, but found very little info useful on this subject. Any thoughts apprciated!
Old 07-23-2006, 06:58 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mud Flaps?

ORIGINAL: celenztah

Having hand waxed my car (used ICE and it's nice) recently, I've noticed the only real places where dirt takes a bit of effort to remove is on the lower panels just behind the rear tires (not sure if they call 'em "rear quarter panels" anymore these days). I've also bought some property out in the country that will inevitably lead me down some gravel and dirt roads from time to time.

They make a mud flap that will specifically fit the 4.0L V6 and there are "one size fits all" going back from the 90's to present, but those look like they'd offer less protection (not as wide).

Just curious. Does anyone here even have mud flaps on your V6 or GT ('05 or '06)? Mainly curious about the ones made for these models but interested in any mud flap feedback.

How do they look in general? Is the protection and practicality of their use worth it?

I did a search here, but found very little info useful on this subject. Any thoughts apprciated!
I detest mudflaps. I have read about a clear plastic material you apply to areas prone to chipping damage like front ends and wheelwells. I don't have specific info about it but maybe someone else on the forum does. I'll see if I can find something on line. My 1999 Intrepid has some material like that by the lower wheelwells and rockerpanels. It came from the factory that way. It might depend on the color of your car but the Dodge is white and the material is not noticable at all.

I had thought about using ICE myself but read some negative comments that tuned me off. Could address your experiences more fully. Thanks.

I found this item which might work. http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html
Old 07-23-2006, 07:08 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

THX for the reply wingman. I am a bit leary of getting the mud flaps, but I do thing I will benefit from some form of protection in terms of the area behind my rear tires. One thing though, when I am on any back roads made of gravel or dirt, I will be going fairly slow as it is and may not generate any quick flying debris, just mud and dirt in general. I like a clean looking car and do not want to over do add-ons.

It'd be nice to see some pics of an '05 or '06 with mud flaps.... but I hafta admit I do suspect I might not care for the appearance in general. I'm not overly concerned, just very curious at this stage.

As for the ICE... I dunno, but my experience was great. The last time I hand waxed a car was with the old fashioned, creamy white wax that leaves residue inbetween door, hood and trunk cracks that you have to go back later and detail off. ICE was much easier to apply than that creamy wax, but I probably used about the same energy to remove it and buff it.... all by hand that is. I did not have to overly detail those "crackes and crevices" though. I didn't see anything there, but I wiped them just the same. ICE seems to go on much thinner initially and maybe that is why there is minimal residue between cracks and such. As for the "after results", I'm pleased. I see the same mirro-like shine that standard cream waxes offer. The need to wash my car as frequently as I once did has diminished a good deal. It's only been about a month and I'd like to put on another coat just for protection, not that I've lost any shine. I cannot say that it may or may not outlast other waxes in terms of longevity between re-wax needs.

Damn I sure can ramble on.... lol.

EDIT: P.S. Thanks for that link. I'll look into it.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:41 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

celenztah the ramblin man. Don't sweat it, thats what we are here for.

Thanks for the info on ICE. I have a 2007 Mustang GT coupe on order. It's BLACK and I'm worried about keeping it shining without a lot of work. I'm lazy but like a shiny car. I also read about a product called 5 Star. Costs a lot and they brag about it but I havn't heard from anyone who's used it.

The 3M film looks like a lot of work to apply and they don't seem to have our Mustangs covered. You would have to just buy a roll and custom cut it.

I don't think I would put it on my car. But if I did it would only be on the rockerpanels and behind the rear wheels.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:52 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

I got these from Ford (www.fordaccessories.com). I never had anyone actually notice them unless I pointed them out. The key is getting molded flaps. The flat flaps don't look very good. Anyway, they look a lot better than tar, mud, and stone chips.

My car had the holes for these flaps already drilled. I didn't even need to take off the wheel because I used a right angle screw driver to install the flaps. A very short screw driver may also work, but I don't know.

[IMG]local://upfiles/37741/FBD50E9779634387831415F27450AD85.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37741/B274A4E4599A401F9700BEDAE3473E19.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37741/E4A66EA63D074B3BAC2336D1ED2D7D72.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-23-2006, 10:24 PM
danno

ORIGINAL: celenztah

I have the molded flaps from fordaccessories.com. I drive my Mustang year 'round in Michigan, in snow and sometimes on gravel roads. They're hardly noticeable on my Satin Silver, and they keep that area clean and free of stone chips.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

Mudflaps suck.
Splashguards, like Wmtheflash has, are the way to go.
Hardly noticable at all.

Here they are on my Stang.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:20 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I need to get some too. Ever since my wider tieres, the dirt just flies!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:46 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for those photos of the flaps. Mud Flaps, Splashguards... not sure what the real difference is, but the one's I was looking at are made by ford and designed for the '05/'06 models (one specifically for the V6 and one for the GT). I "think" these would be the molded ones since they are made for the specific model.

I think the plastic or whatever treatments and such will be just a bit too much for me to want to deal with.

The photos pretty much tell me that the splashguards won't really look all that bad actually (IMHO). My stang is windveil blue with the black side stripes and I have already put on some black rain diverters (some folks call 'em "eyelashes"?) which serve me well as a smoker and I happen to like the way they look. The black mud flaps designed for my model might actually be hardly noticeable considering the little black touches that are already part of the car's look. They might not add a lot to the looks, but judging from the photos above, they don't really stand out as "OMG! That's awful!" lol.....

I am still up in the air on it, but I went out to my property today and even at slower speed on a gravel road, I could just hear the ricochets off the rear of my car..... hmmmmmm..... If I get 'em, I'll post back to this thread with a pic or two as well. It'll be a little bit though (hafta run the little accessories a bit slowly by the fiance... she's the "tight one" of the two of us... umm.. you know what I mean!). [8D]
Old 07-24-2006, 06:02 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

I have the molded splash guards. Almost unnoticable on my black stang, but my rear bumper is surely thanking me for them!

Quick Reply: Mud Flaps?