Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I say to the judge?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 05:46 AM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What should I say to the judge?

Hey ive been in this kind of situation before... lucky for me, the cop didnt show up for court... so the judge dismissed the case, and didnt charge me for anything, nor have a abusive scar on my driving abstract... Just go to court, tell em the truth, if you needed to get home, give em an embarrsing story.. like you pissed yourself and you didnt wanna tell the cop.... so you was rushing home to clean urself... the cop probably didnt even see ur pants, so how would he know if your lying? beats paying $200... thats 1/2 a car payment for me...
Old 07-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

$200 gets the point off your record? Man, I wish we had that around here.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:43 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

I'm betting you won't get to say anything. But the Judge will yell "Yatzee"right after he slaps you with a $200 fine. I fail to see how the, "I'm the kind of person who can't get his sh#t together when it comes to routine responsibilities, so that's what caused me to speed ...your honor" ,defense is expected to work.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:59 PM
kcary
2nd Gear Member

If you are gonna ask about the radar calibration, you do not say anything until the court date. Here's the rundown why:

1) If you ask cop initially, it will **** him off and he will write you the ticket regardless.
2) If you ask cop initially, he will garauntee that he brings the papers to court.
3) If you wait till the court date, there is a chance the cop will forget the papers (that is unless someone else on the docket did not follow rules 1 and 2, then all chances = 0%)
4) If you wait till the court date, whatss the worst that happens, cop shows judge the papers and you pay your ticket? Wouldn't that happen if you didn't say anything.

Friend of mine last month used rule number 3 and he and every other person for speeding from that cop got off as he was the very first person on the dockett.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Moonbaby1973
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for taking my $200
Old 07-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

the key to getting out of a ticket is to fight via trial by declaration, and pick one general argument and stick by it in extreme detail. above and beyond the actual points you make in your defense, this will demonstrate several things:

a) you are intelligent enough to realize what the cop's point of view is, and why you feel yours is better
b) you are motivated enough and have enough personal conviction to demonstrate the possibility that your point of view *might* be more valid than the officer's
c) you were intently paying attention at the time of the event, remembering numerous more details than the officer, and demonstrating that even under the circumstances you were likely being a better driver than 90% of the people out there
and/or
d) you realize that you have wronged, and in detail relate what you have learned and how it will improve your driving in the future, which will make the judge 10x more likely to at least lessen charges

won my last/only ticket this way. it was for "80+" in a 65. i was going between 70 and 110 the whole drive, but at the time my foot was sore so i had it in cruise control between 75-78 mph. it was a 6 lane highway, 8:30am on a sunday, and with perfect weather conditions. i was not radared, lasered, or paced, just "visually estimated". i wrote a 5 page defense citing every vehicle code that could possibly be linked, and providing proof of perfect weather, time of day, visibility, road conditions, and low traffic. NONE of these provided any evidence that i was indeed not going 80+, but it demonstrated i knew wtf was going on, and that since i wasnt radared, that the cop did NOT know as much as i of the situation. I also explained how i got a beater daily driver so that i could avoid the unnecessary circumstances in future events in the stang.

i got my 124$ back, and have a clean record, EVEN THOUGH i could simply have taken traffic school. my friend won similarly a year ago. he was in a rental car, and whipped the back end out coming from the side street onto the main road, shooting up to just over speed limit and then going normal. the cop wrote him up for reckless driving and mentioned "going up to 60mph in 4seconds". he got a letter from a high-ranking officer with toyota motor company to write a signed letter stating that the car in question was only capable of reaching 60 in over 9 seconds. that along with a bunch of other proof convinced the judge that he was a smart kid and knew his shlt, and said that even tho it was likely that he was doing *something* wrong, that the testimony of the officer was too flakey to convict him.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:57 PM
BAMFstang
3rd Gear Member

I wholeheartedly reccommend doing the following.

Slam your fist on the table and scream, " I'm out of order? Your out of order!! "

He will be impressed and throw the ticket out.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:02 PM
zjdoran7
1st Gear Member

First of all, screw you guys calling me irresponsible. Don't sit here and tell me you HAVE NEVER DRIVEN 12 MPH over the speed limit, the reason I asked him for the read out is CUZ I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN A TICKET.. you guys telling me what to do HAVE GOTTEN TICKETS thats why you know what to say. It's like the kettle calling the pot black.

Second of all, I have already PAID FOR THE TICKET AND THE DEFENSIVE DRIVING... unlike some of you, $200 is hard to come around for me... I work 2 jobs just to get from bill to bill with no room for $200 extra.

Third, the fact of the matter is YES i was speeding, its my fault, but I was seriously busy the last couple of months and all you punks telling me how bad I am or whatever can just eat it.

Fourth, thank you people that actually have help for me: sleeper05, olym4gery, and the others.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Sean3667
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zjdoran7

Second of all, I have already PAID FOR THE TICKET AND THE DEFENSIVE DRIVING... unlike some of you, $200 is hard to come around for me... I work 2 jobs just to get from bill to bill with no room for $200 extra.
Well then, I guess you learned your $200 lesson the hard way, and will make sure you get it done before the deadline next time. If you didn't have the extra money, you have nobody to blame but yourself for missing the deadline. The judge won't care why you missed the deadline. In their eyes, you had your chance, and you blew it.

Rambling on about being busy only points to you still not accepting the fact that it's your own fault for not getting it done in time. That's your problem, not the judge's ... and they're not going to show much mercy if they get the impression you're trying to make excuses.

The only hope you really have, is to stand in front of the judge, admit that you missed the deadline, but did complete the course as required. Tell he or she that you're not making excuses, that you accept full responsibility for not getting it done in time, but are hoping for some leniency, even though none is owed to you. If they ask why you deserve any leniency, tell them that you realize you don't deserve it for missing the deadline, but money is tight because you're a student and really need it for school expenses.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear ... but it's the truth.