Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pricing Question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 03:26 AM
khan

Default Pricing Question...

Ok....so I've built the Mustang I want...and the MSRP is $22,515. I know there's a $3,000 rebate for 06 models, so I'm expecting an initial offer of about $19,515 from the dealer. My question is...in your experience, how much have the dealers been willing to negotiate on this? I'm hoping to walk away with a price of no more than $18,000, knowing that they're getting the 07's in stock. Am I asking too little? Should I actually go for lower? I've bought used cars in the past, and haggled for price on those...but a new car is a different thing. I would very much appreciate any help you could offer. It's a huge chunk of change for me, and I want to be sure I am as prepared as possible.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2006, 05:49 AM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Pricing Question...

Forget about the rebate when you negotiate the car and hears why. The rebate is from ford and not from the dealer but they will try and say its a bottom line discount and will try to get you to buy it at msrp minus the 3k discount, Go there and take a look and a test drive of a 06 on the lot you want and then dont commit to anything instead say something like " I may be buying soon and need a little time to decide on what I want" now go home and get on the net with all the options of the car you want on the lot and get the invoice, now take the invoice price minus 6% then minus the 3k. Now this is around what the car should be sold for bottom line, I would start negotiating at this price and hold as firm as you can and if you cant get a good price (something close to the bottom line you researched) leave the dealership and tell him you still have another apointment with another dealership. One of two things will happen either they will say goodbye or they will move more cash off to save a sale. If you leave you can always come back and try for a littl;e more off and when you are happy buy or if they keep you there and move more off then you are happy and buy it on the spot.
I was a saleman for Ford in Milwaukee for 6 years so this is speaking from a salesman standpoint on how to manipulate a bottom line and I hope this helps you some, Let me know if you buy and if this helps
Old 07-27-2006, 06:36 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Also, when you start negotiating, salesmen love to show you their "invoice price" and tell you that there is no way they can sell the car lower than that because they wouldn't make any money. That is total BS. My window sticker was almost 29K, their supposed invoice was over 27K, and I ended up with the car for 25.5K. Also, they will try to get you to buy worthless crap in the finance office, don't let the finance officer talk fast. Make him slow down and explain everything he is telling you until he puts it in terms you can understand. One last tip, I went on the last day of the month. If you're lucky, they will be trying to meet a monthly sales incentive and it will help you to negotiate.

Milwaukee, how do you think I did on the haggle? I was curious to know from an ex-dealership employee, and you're the first one I've talked to.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:52 AM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

goto edmonds.com after you get the options, find out the dealer invoice and offer the dealer that price or very close to that price, but dont include the rebate on that price. The dealer is still making money by holdbacks and right now they just want to get the 06's off the lot so if you stick firm they should buckle under preasure.

Also, make sure to go in with your own financing if you are not paying cash, places like capitol one will give you pretty much the lowest if you do not have a credit union. Dealers usually cant beat someone like them and remember dealers will always try to get you a higher interest rate because there finance person works off commision from the loan companies. Usually a finance person will get 5 to 10% of the interest made on a loan off a person, so the higher interest rate, then the more the finance person makes.

Stay away from there gap insurance from the dealer, you can do better from your own insurance company, extended warrenty, well that is up to how well you are with fixing cars and how long you expect to keep it. As to the maintance plan, if you plan to get all your maintance done at the dealer including oil changes and all the checkups then it is worth it, but if you are a on hands guy or plan to use other places then it is not.

Also be carefull, they tried to sell me a upgrade package on my alarm saying that the active would not kill the ignition unless i purchased the upgrade package, which is bs. Stuff like lo jack might be worth it, so you could check that out if you want it but there are better companies out there offering the same type service cheaper.

Stay away from all the extra waxing options and fabric care, no matter how much they mamke it sound good, truth be told you can do it yourself for alot cheaper.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Dior85
1st Gear Member

since when is there a 3,000 rebate??
Old 07-27-2006, 10:29 PM
persistantthug
2nd Gear Member

^

I second that.

I haven't heard of any $3,000 rebate on a Mustang GT.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:05 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

They are having that rebate on the v6, atleast according to their commercial. It says on the bottom of the screen that the Mustang GT does not apply.

Maybe he's talking about getting a 6?
Old 07-28-2006, 12:07 AM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

considering he said he built one online and it said 22,000 i would defintly have to say he wants a V6.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:45 AM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

Also, when you start negotiating, salesmen love to show you their "invoice price" and tell you that there is no way they can sell the car lower than that because they wouldn't make any money. That is total BS. My window sticker was almost 29K, their supposed invoice was over 27K, and I ended up with the car for 25.5K. Also, they will try to get you to buy worthless crap in the finance office, don't let the finance officer talk fast. Make him slow down and explain everything he is telling you until he puts it in terms you can understand. One last tip, I went on the last day of the month. If you're lucky, they will be trying to meet a monthly sales incentive and it will help you to negotiate.

Milwaukee, how do you think I did on the haggle? I was curious to know from an ex-dealership employee, and you're the first one I've talked to.
If you are happy with the sale then you did fine. As far as your sale went thats a good deal, I keep in touch with the dealership I used to work for (Owners son is a good friend) and they arent giving much discounts on any GT's and if its on the lot they wont go any more then 1k off since they know it will sell for close to msrp. on the 06's they have they are selling those with total discounts of up to 4500 just to move em, they are a big truck and family car dealership so they have like an acre of cars at a storage lot and he told me they over bought 6 cyclinder mustangs when the gas crisis began so they have way to many left.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:53 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Thanks man. I'm extremely happy with the deal I got. I love my car every day. It's just good to hear from someone in the business that I may have done well.

Quick Reply: Pricing Question...