Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ELECTRONICS DISCUSSION... Audio, Visual, Lighting...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default ELECTRONICS DISCUSSION... Audio, Visual, Lighting...

I thought I would try out first as a sticky to provide a place for us to discuss our Electronic issues and modifications.

I know several of you have installed GPS, XM/Sirrus and Video into your cars.

Some of you have installed HID or tried other bulb options - sometimes with BAD Results. (The Cheapo Plastic headlight cases melt!)

Some of us are doing the chaser or sequencial tail lights.

Some of us want a trunk button.

Some of us like heated seats.

Some of us want to install Automatic Day/Night Mirrors.

Some of us want Bluetooth Phone integrated with the stereo.

Some of us want to hook up our IPods with our Shakers.

Lets get this conversation started!
Old 07-28-2006, 06:31 PM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ELECTRONICS DISCUSSION... Audio, Visual, Lighting...

I'm not sure if this is the right place either but no one answered in the A/V. Does anyone know why I get a "pop" sound when my aftermarkert HU turns on. Everything works and is connected right I'm just not sure what is causing this problem.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to seperate the subs in the trunk of my shaker1000 from the door speaker so they can be adjusted independently.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:19 PM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to seperate the subs in the trunk of my shaker1000 from the door speaker so they can be adjusted independently.
If I were you I would take that shaker crap out. It's HORRIBLE, in my opinion, I would personally invest in something else if you concerned with sound. But on your question, I'm not quite sure but I think you can unmount them from the trunk and there MIGHT, or atleast should be something there for you to adjust the sound from the back. I'll look into it for you and get you some more info on it though.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:09 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure if this is the right place either but no one answered in the A/V. Does anyone know why I get a "pop" sound when my aftermarkert HU turns on. Everything works and is connected right I'm just not sure what is causing this problem.
stock amps only take around 5 volts to turn on
most better aftermarket decks send out a full 12 volts
get a voltage regulator from radio shack for like $3 if it really bugs you, or just toss the stock amps and get a nice 4 channel
mine does it, its annoying but i can live with it
Old 07-28-2006, 10:10 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

My request:

How do i disable the daytime running lights?

TIA
Old 07-29-2006, 02:35 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doode

stock amps only take around 5 volts to turn on
most better aftermarket decks send out a full 12 volts
get a voltage regulator from radio shack for like $3 if it really bugs you, or just toss the stock amps and get a nice 4 channel
mine does it, its annoying but i can live with it
Hey man, thanks for that awesome info. I've asked every single person I could think of including that knows about car audio, and none of them could figure it out. That makes me so happy to hear what actually is causing the problem than just guesses. So, I hook up the voltage regulator to the remotes turn on lead ?

I plan to change everything out and put in all aftermarket. This is the only car that i've owned that I havent completely tricked out, as far as audio. All my money is going to performance mods lol...
Old 07-29-2006, 03:20 AM
bchoice

You need to wire a 5v voltage regulator in between the 12v amp "on" wire from your head unit and the 2 amp "on" wires on the wiring harness. 12v is too much for the shaker amps and adding the 5v regulator fixes it.

On the balance problem with the subs...well you are going to need a really good head unit or an xover/amp balancer. The main problem is the Shaker 1000, and I'm guessing the S500 as well, run the subs mono. There is a Hi and Low output from the Shaker 1000 that goes Hi to the front subs and Low to the rear subs. Everyone is getting the metra wiring harness which converts the High and Low inputs to the shaker sub amps to what appears to be left and right RCAs. You use the L/R sub RCAs out of the head unit and hook it up. You fire up your stereo and "pop" the amps turn on and boom boom boom. Appears to work great, but you cannot fade the front to rear and it sounds kinda funky. What you are hearing is L/R thru the main speakers and then L thru the front sub and R thru the rear or the other way around. Anyway, it kinda messes up your stereo in a twisted way. You can easily fix the "twisted phase" problem by using RCA Y connectors to mix the L/R to a combined signal then Y back out to the Red and White RCAs on the wiring harness. This effectively puts the subs back into mono. Now it's not twisted and sounds much better, but you still can't fade. This is where you need the dual amp fader with xover and lpf to really get it tuned.

I have messed around alot with the S1000 trying to get it to sound acceptable to me. I am finally happy with the performance of the front and rear subs and amps, however I did replace everything else. I have an Alpine head unit and a sound processor with 2 front, center, rear, and sub outputs. I used front 1 for the front speakers, front 2 lpf'd for the front subs (effectively making them mid-bass), rear for the rear speakers, and sub running mono to the S1000 sub amps. Now I can fade the subs front to back and adjust the xover points, slope, and eq. Add some Kappas and a punch PA8004 and you have a pretty rockin system.

Hope the info helps.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:44 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Oh man that info Is great. It's nice to finally find someone who knows what there talking about when it comes to the shaker 1000 sound system. Those are all the answers I am looking for. I have the metra wiring harness and the RCA's plugged into the sub L and R. Now when I buy the Y splitter where exactly do I plug that into. I'm still a little confused about that.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:04 AM
bchoice

Get a Y that has 2 female to 1 male and another Y that is 1 female to 2 males. Connect the single male to the single female (this is sounding like a sex education lesson) and then the metra red/white into the females and the males into your head unit L/R and you are good to go. The signal all meets in the middle for some mixed mono. Should make it sound better, or at least the twisted stereo will be gone.

Good Luck!

Old 07-29-2006, 04:16 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Ahhhhhhh....gotchya that's what I thought. I appreciate all the help..you have no idea how frustrated all this garbage made me. I am going to do a complete overhaul of my sound system but am putting it off as long as I can, as I am still paying for school...lol. My plan is to install my two 12' Rockford power punch HX2's along with their amps, and all new door speaker and a new 4 channel amp, with a kenwood DDX-8017. Hopefully, this will all be done during winter.

But, when I get my car out of the shop monday the first thing I'm doin is getting a resistor and those Y's.

Thanks again for all the help !!![sm=thanx.gif]

Quick Reply: ELECTRONICS DISCUSSION... Audio, Visual, Lighting...