Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stage 1,2,3,4,5

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 03:26 PM
VnCist00
2nd Gear Member

Default stage 1,2,3,4,5

wuts the difference between all the stages of superchargers? i never really understood it. Sorry if someone already posted this, but my search doesnt work,thanks.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:31 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: stage 1,2,3,4,5

I would imagine that the stages are how much boost they can pump.
-P.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:41 PM
astroGT
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah, the good old Stage 5 with its 100 psi...
Old 08-01-2006, 03:43 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

When some one says Stage x it always sounds like some ricer crap to me. Typically the higher the stage the more power it is supposed to make, but it would help to know what you are specifically refering to.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:39 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

A Stage 3 means your car has been upgraded with a third more horsepower than OEM.If your car had 300HP from the factory and it was modified to be about 400 HP.then it's a Stage 3.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:27 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: xzo6

A Stage 3 means your car has been upgraded with a third more horsepower than OEM.If your car had 300HP from the factory and it was modified to be about 400 HP.then it's a Stage 3.
Okay so what about the rest of them? These are the only logical explanations based on the information you gave us.

Stage 1 = 1/1 which is 100% so double the hp?
Stage 2 = 1/2 or 50% more?
Stage 3 = 1/3 or 33% more based on what you are saying
Stage 4 = 1/4 or 25% more?
Stage 5 = 1/5 or 20% more?

This makes absolutely no sense. I still think stages mean very little. A Stage 1 Roush has a body kit a Stage 2 adds the suspension and maybe a few hp by way of UDPs so stages don't necessarily have anything to do with HP.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:06 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The "stage numbers" are all marketing terminology for mods (especially sets/packages of mods) from years ago, and even then mainly in the "euro tuner" circles (Porsche, Lotus, Lancia, etc).

Back then, a "stage 1" car had a certain set of mods done to it. If you then took the "stage 1 car" and added some further set of mods, then you had a "stage 2" and so on up the line. For example, a stage 1 car might have new shocks and bigger carbs. A stage two would have those mods, plus a new sway bar and exhaust. Stage 3 would take that, add a camshaft, new intake, and bigger brakes.....etc.

The higher the "stage" number, the faster/better the car was (theoretically).

The numbers do not correspond to anything concrete in real life, such as boost pressure or ETs or lap times or anything like that. It's just marketing. So a "Stage 2" supercharger is theoretically "better" than a "stage 1".
Old 08-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Rolland
1st Gear Member

IMO, this is where the "Stage X Turbo" came in.

In video games like Need for Speed and such part of the game is about upgrading your components. They had to simplify the "stages" to make the game more interesting and straightforward, so when you went to buy your turbo kits, you were able to buy them in Stages, based on how much $$$ you wanted to spend.

Unfortunatly, this doesn't translate to the "real world" very well. I expect that if you go into your local garage and say you want a Stage 4 turbo installed they will think you are nuts.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:12 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

Stage 1 means that the body kit only has been installed.I am referring to the Roush hierarchy...Not double the horsepower.Stage 4 would be more horsepower than stage 3.So what you have understood is essentially backward.Sorry that is my fault.Stage 4 is not meant for street use(racing).Up to Stage 3 is streetlegal.I am not going to state what Stage 2 is because I am not 100 percent sure.To hazard a guess Stage 2 on a OEM 300horse power car would be approx. 350 horsepower.(achieved through bolt on Mods).I also believe it has modifications to the suspension(but I can't be specific).Stage 3 would also include some handling improvements.Stage 4 would have heavier modifications.
When you are looking to by car parts in general(for example,a clutch),you will come across many manufacturers who use this system.A Stage 3 clutch would be a match for a car putting out 350 to 400horsepower.A weaker clutch would be unsuitable ,it would wear quicker and may not grab suitably.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:21 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: xzo6

Stage 1 means that the body kit only has been installed.I am referring to the Roush hierarchy...Not double the horsepower.Stage 4 would be more horsepower than stage 3.So what you have understood is essentially backward.Sorry that is my fault.Stage 4 is not meant for street use(racing).Up to Stage 3 is streetlegal.I am not going to state what Stage 2 is because I am not 100 percent sure.To hazard a guess Stage 2 on a OEM 300horse power car would be approx. 350 horsepower.(achieved through bolt on Mods).I also believe it has modifications to the suspension(but I can't be specific).Stage 3 would also include some handling improvements.Stage 4 would have heavier modifications.
When you are looking to by car parts in general(for example,a clutch),you will come across many manufacturers who use this system.A Stage 3 clutch would be a match for a car putting out 350 to 400horsepower.A weaker clutch would be unsuitable ,it would wear quicker and may not grab suitably.
Your theory on Stages is not what is meant by Roush, but yes they tend to follow that stupid naming scheme. Also a stage 3 clutch from someone like SPEC will handle a great deal more hp than 350-400.

Quick Reply: stage 1,2,3,4,5