Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GAS SPILL

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:22 PM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

Default GAS SPILL

I was filling up today and the pump did not shut of and gas spilled all over the place, good thing I was there to shut it of right away ... is that something I should see the dealer about or was it just a bad gas pump????
Old 08-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Jeremy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: GAS SPILL

I got the same problem. I just figure out how many gallons I need and slow down when I get to it. I had a bad time when it shot about a gallon of gas on my shorts one day at the pumps. I wasn't happy.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:51 PM
CDW63
2nd Gear Member

I also have the same problem, and I have tried multiple pumps with the same results. I try to follow what Jeremy already posted and slow the pump down when it is close to filling up.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:36 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

i had a gas spill a couple minutes ago. whoooooo boy, sounded like a diesel sputtering and cleared out the room.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:51 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

my first two fillups burped gasoline all over the place...pull the nozzle back about an inch, set on first click and wait...dont really take that long to fill.

I love the car, but still find it hard to believe fords working on what- near a half a million? of them with the same stupid tiny fill tube/inadequate vent system...sooner or later someones gonna get hurt...they may not spew often, but most will sooner or later at certain pumps...eventually sooner or later someones gonna get burned. The second time mine did it car was only a week old and stunk like gas from where it got on my pantleg...fill it slow and dont stand right next to the car.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:41 AM
jims07GT

Had it happen to my 05 GT vert one time = car was about six months old. Also had the fill-up problem several times - pump kept shutting down. Don't know if the two problems were related or not but the dealer replaced the tank because of the TSB for the pump shutting off.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:44 AM
Jeremy
4th Gear Member

What's going to happen is some idiot is going to be smoking and suddenly gas all over the place and then boom.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:12 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Actually, it's not that easy to light gasoline just from having a cigarette going. You'd need to touch the flame to the gas, and it'd probably just go out. The danger is the fumes catching on fire by a spark.

Oh, and to add to the thread- While I've had the fuel tank problem and have resigned myself to have to squeeze the handle the whole time, I've never had a problem with overflow... yet!
Fingers are crossed!
Old 08-03-2006, 06:16 AM
V6MustangKnight
2nd Gear Member

when i got my 05 it would constantly shut off. i would get to like 7 dollars and have to keep pumping it manually till it hit like 20 bucks worth so i would at least have half a tank. it doesnt do that anymore, its all good now havent had that overfilling problem, just the shut off.....
Old 08-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Jeremy
4th Gear Member

Orion_240 Date 8/3/2006 1:12:05 AM
Actually, it's not that easy to light gasoline just from having a cigarette going. You'd need to touch the flame to the gas, and it'd probably just go out. The danger is the fumes catching on fire by a spark.

Oh, and to add to the thread- While I've had the fuel tank problem and have resigned myself to have to squeeze the handle the whole time, I've never had a problem with overflow... yet!
Fingers are crossed!
Hmm...would you like to test that theory?[8D]

Quick Reply: GAS SPILL