Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel leak almost causes disaster !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 01:11 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Default Fuel leak almost causes disaster !!!

So I just got my car back from the dealer monday night. It was there since the previous thursday night, for the fuel pump TSB and a short somewhere in the A/C wiring.

I'm out and about today running errands and the first thing I do is fuel up. Everything goes good, I park at one store, come out 20 mins later, and WHOA...smells like fuel real bad, i knew this wasnt normal. Came out of another store and man, it was even worse. So I come home, a little frustrated and concerned about this smell. I pull her in the garage and take a look see underneath and what do I find, GASOLINE dripping pretty fast out of somewhere I can't see or reach my hand. Gas is all over the suspension and sway bars and dripping of of everything. So I call my dealer and tell them the problem, He says wow thats bad drive it up here tomorow morning. I tell him he's kidding right, he says no, just bring it in. I told him theres no way in hell im driving a car thats leaking fuel all over the place on the highway for 25 to get to the dealer. So I called Ford Roadside to tow it. They tell me because there is a gas leak I have to call the fire dept so they can come "clear" my car and give it the okay for a tow on the flatbead. They come out sirens blaring and the whole nine yards. They take one look at my car and say, "no way" If something were to spark or fuel leak to somewhere else it would be a major problem. The FD wanted to know when the last time I've driven it. I said I got home about 20 mins ago. He just looks at me and says, "Someone was looking out for you up there." He said with it being 100+degrees and the gas leaking that much, If one drop would have hit the exhaust it wouldnt take much for a KABOOOM. At that point I really realized the severity of the problem. I called the ford dealer and told him they wouldnt clear my car for a tow. So like a dealer he has no answer, 5 mins later he calls back and says he has a tow company who will tow it up there regardless....

Anyways the car is there now and they will work on it in the morning. I will be there watching every single damn thing they do, but I am not satisfied with them just fixing it and me just being on my way. That was my life they were F-ing with, and that is completely unacceptable on my terms, I could have be seriously injured If god forbid something happend. I'm to the point where I don't even want this car anymore, It's been in the shop 7 times in the 4 1/2 months that I've owned it.

So basically my question is what would you guys do ??
Old 08-03-2006, 01:17 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel leak almost causes disaster !!!

SUE FOR NEGLIGENCE OF ANOTHA.

probably just a bunch of angry letters.

jeez. thats like worse than a pinto.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Wow, I'm amazed you drove it two more times even after smelling fuel. You're truly are lucky. A warning to anyone out there, if you ever notice a strong fuel smell around your car or anyone else's car that you may be driving in, have a look under the car and under the hood for leaks before going anywhere. Fuel can easily be ignited by contacting any number of parts under the hood, but especially the exhaust manifolds.

==That was my life they were F-ing with==

So are you saying that the dealership did something to your car? Did they do some work on it recently? A fuel leak is certainly something that needs to be fixed, but there's no reason to freak out about it now (after all, nothing happened). Certainly you want them to describe exactly what the problem was and what they did to fix it, but these things do happen and unless they were recently working on your fuel system I see no reason to go on a witch hunt.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:28 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Tres Wright - They were just working on my fuel system. My car was in the shop from last thursday to this monday, they were replacing my fuel pump for the TSB that's out. Many people told me they didnt have to drop the tank. But they insisted they had to, so they did. But yes, It was just there for 4 days while they were working on the fuel system.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:35 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I am in no way making light of the situation, but I can tell you exactly what is wrong, and you could have fixed it yourself in 10 minutes or less.
When they replaced the fuel pump the technician did not get the lock ring on properly that goes over the top of the fuel pump basket where it drops down in to the tank.

Pull your rear seat, pull the plastic access cover off on the drivers side. You will see a slotted flat looking ring. You have to make sure that all of the tabs lock in to the slots. Easy to misalign, easy to not notice because the entire ring is not exposed. Also very easy to fix. And in your case, 10 minutes would have saved you an afternoon of grief. Not saying that the dealership shouldn't have done it properly in the first place, and not saying they are not responsible for making it right. Just saying, it would been a lot easier to fix than to go through what you did to get it fixed.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:42 AM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

7 times? Were the other 6 also TSB's? I for one am not wasting my time having the fuel pump replaced because somebody on some message board has a hesitation after cruising for long periods.

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

Tres Wright - They were just working on my fuel system. My car was in the shop from last thursday to this monday, they were replacing my fuel pump for the TSB that's out. Many people told me they didnt have to drop the tank. But they insisted they had to, so they did. But yes, It was just there for 4 days while they were working on the fuel system.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:48 AM
KenInWY

Reminds me of a time when I findly put a Fire extingisher behind the seat of my old 85 Chevy
company delivery pickup. I'd been driving out to mine sites for years and should have had
the extingisher in the vehicle, as the mines required such.

After requesting the extingisher for years my boss findly
provide me with one and the first trip out on a delivery with the new extingisher the engine
stalled 30 miles from the shop out on the interstate. I pop the hood and fuel was spraying
all over the engine. The fuel line just infront of the carborator had cracked open..

And I thought to myself, "good thing there isn't a spark or the engine will be on fire."
Suddenly low and behold the Engine suddenly was on fire.

Well I a few small squirts with the newly installed Fire extingisher, saved
the pickup..I did a McGyver fix to the fuel line and was back on my way..

I'm glad your OK and your Mustang didn't get burnt..
Oh.. I have a extingisher in the trunk of my stang.. I don't travel without one any more.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:06 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Well the other 6 all weren't for TSB's and I didnt have my fuel pump replaced just cause some guy on here said to. I actually had the problems and yes it was something that was dangerous when it happened.

I'm not trying to make a bigger deal out of this than it's worth, but it's really disheartening when this car is always in the shop and something is always not working properly or is recalled. I duno, just needed somewhere to vent I guess, but this was dangerous and could have been fatal......I just think my dealer needs to take this seriously and brush it off like nothing happend.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:08 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

see if someone from the fire department might call the service mgr with concerns- poor fix coulda put a lot of folks at risk, firefighters included. I bet theyd call and rattle their cage enough it wouldnt happen again.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:16 AM
micx7
1st Gear Member

Wow that is scary, good to hear you were unharmed. I can only imagine the frustration you must be going through and to be honest, I love my car, but I love my life much more. It's apparent your car has had a lot of defects and I know in your position with a car like that I would be heavily considering getting rid of it. Who knows what kind of trouble it will give you when the warranty is up. Just my 2 cents but once again good to hear no one was harmed.

Quick Reply: Fuel leak almost causes disaster !!!