Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.55 GEARS nolonger stndrd???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:42 PM
blackv6
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 3.55 GEARS no longer stndrd???

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

ORIGINAL: blackv6

do all manuals get a limited slip?!?!? i have a v6 stick and was going to get a limited slip diff, but dont want to-if i dont gotta!
No, not in the case of the V6. All the GT's whether manual or auto get limited slip rearends. The V6 get a smaller rearend than the GT and it is not limited slip. In 06 the Pony Package came with limited slip I think, but for 07 it is not part of the Pony Package, but is rather a stand-alone option (order code 552).
what kind of diff came with the GT? T-lok? i heard they're only good for up to 250whp. is this true? i want to take my rear end apart once, mabye twice...

do i really need a diff for my v6? i just wanted to swap out the gears. and later when i get the blower get the detroit locker.

please help!
Old 08-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

what kind of diff came with the GT? T-lok? i heard they're only good for up to 250whp. is this true? i want to take my rear end apart once, mabye twice...

do i really need a diff for my v6? i just wanted to swap out the gears. and later when i get the blower get the detroit locker.

please help!
Yes, the GTs all come with t-lock. The GT rearend is very strong and has handled upwards of 500 RWHP with no mod's. The V6 rearend is strong too (although not as big as the GT rear). If you go dig around on the V6 forum, there are several people there running power adders and they've had no problems with the stock rearend running in the 300 RWHP range. It is advisable to add t-lock to it if you're going to do that though (for traction if nothing else). You get much higher than 300 RWHP and you'll want to swap the whole rear.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:02 PM
blackv6
1st Gear Member

please help!
Yes, the GTs all come with t-lock. The GT rearend is very strong and has handled upwards of 500 RWHP with no mod's. The V6 rearend is strong too (although not as big as the GT rear). If you go dig around on the V6 forum, there are several people there running power adders and they've had no problems with the stock rearend running in the 300 RWHP range. It is advisable to add t-lock to it if you're going to do that though (for traction if nothing else). You get much higher than 300 RWHP and you'll want to swap the whole rear.
500 rwhp on a tlok?!?!? thats crazy. i have heard of cars that slip discs when they hit 250rwhp. when i add the blower i will be around that. i want something reliable and dont want to have to change only one tire every year...not to mention a diff every couple of years.

is a t-lok a t-lok? by that i mean a tlok for the 7.5 is the same as a t-lok for a 8.8 inch. it may be different part numbers, but is it the same materals, manufactured the same, etc?
Old 08-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

i have heard of cars that slip discs when they hit 250rwhp.
Stock GTs are over that! Ford would be very busy with warranty repairs if they stuck a rearend under there that couldn't even handle the stock HP rating! [8D]

is a t-lok a t-lok? by that i mean a tlok for the 7.5 is the same as a t-lok for a 8.8 inch. it may be different part numbers, but is it the same materals, manufactured the same, etc?
No, it's a generic term same as "positrac" for GM. There are multiple manufacturers that make t-lock units for the V6 rear. You might want to search through the V6 forums for more info. I remember there is one that people like and another that they don't, but I don't remember names.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:15 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

please help!
500 rwhp on a tlok?!?!? thats crazy. i have heard of cars that slip discs when they hit 250rwhp. when i add the blower i will be around that. i want something reliable and dont want to have to change only one tire every year...not to mention a diff every couple of years.

7.5 is a smaller unit, ive talked to a few people with over 250rwhp and the clutches lasted about 2 drag passes, my vote is for a detroit true trac
Old 08-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Nadelle
3rd Gear Member

the 7.5 isnt to bad, the older 5.0 mustangs used it.

gm used a similar design to the 7.5 ford on all of their f-bodys, only 7.625.

even the lt-s and yes the ls-1 where backed by gms version.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:48 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Nadelle

the 7.5 isnt to bad, the older 5.0 mustangs used it.

gm used a similar design to the 7.5 ford on all of their f-bodys, only 7.625.

even the lt-s and yes the ls-1 where backed by gms version.

Ford used a 9" in the 5.0 until they changed to the 8.8" that we have now. The 7.5 was in the sixxers and the 4 bangers.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:04 PM
blackv6
1st Gear Member

Thhe guy is sending me brand new 7.5" 4.10 gears for $40 extra!!! $89! i guess im going with the 4.10's!

Do i need a differential? if not when should i consider getting one?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

So anybody know how the 3:31 gear works in the 2007? Is it slower in the quarter or 0-60mph? Just curious.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Nadelle
3rd Gear Member

Ford used a 9" in the 5.0 until they changed to the 8.8" that we have now. The 7.5 was in the sixxers and the 4 bangers.
im talking about the fox body stang. 79-85 used 7.5 sixers and v8s not sure about 4-bangers
http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/c/jcchaconjr/4v50faq.html

the ford 9-inch wasnt used since the early 70's and late sixties big block ford mustangs. dont have a link unfortunatly.

Quick Reply: 3.55 GEARS nolonger stndrd???