Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best size wheel for the 2006 Gt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 01:31 AM
baldycmw
1st Gear Member

Default RE: What is the best size wheel for the 2006 Gt?

Thanks for the help. By the way your car looks really nice. I am a looks guy also, not into the speed thing. Are your wheels staggered, and also what sizes did you go with?
Old 08-09-2006, 01:36 AM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

Im also with everyone on the 20's because our wheel wells are so big its needs that fill
Old 08-09-2006, 01:52 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

ORIGINAL: 555*

My gas mileage went down .2 mpg. Sure I sacrificed some gas mileage. I could throw on an intake and have better gas mileage than I did with stockers on. Whatever, its up to the OP with which route he goes with. Im going more for the look thing than performance but I'll stick to my 20s and you can stick to your 18s and WAY SO MUCH BETTER mpg lol.
Just my opinion FWIW, but I think 20" tires look flat out ghetto -- just one short step away from having those rims that keep spinning after you stop! "The Mustang" is a classic American automobile, and the styling of the 05-07 body ranks it right up there with the classiest models Ford has ever produced. As such, I believe Mustang owners have an inherent obligation to respect its heritage and should do so by maintaining as classy a look as possible (personalize, yes....but keep it classy). Personally I don't think 20" wheels add anything but "bling" to the car....and bling does not equal class and certainly does not ADD to the car's heritage!

Again, just my opinion....valued at less than $0.02 to some folks.

Nick
Old 08-09-2006, 01:58 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Me and my 18's are going to stay OUT of this argument!
Old 08-09-2006, 02:03 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Just my opinion FWIW, but I think 20" tires look flat out ghetto -- just one short step away from having those rims that keep spinning after you stop! "The Mustang" is a classic American automobile, and the styling of the 05-07 body ranks it right up there with the classiest models Ford has ever produced. As such, I believe Mustang owners have an inherent obligation to respect its heritage and should do so by maintaining as classy a look as possible (personalize, yes....but keep it classy). Personally I don't think 20" wheels add anything but "bling" to the car....and bling does not equal class and certainly does not ADD to the car's heritage!

Again, just my opinion....valued at less than $0.02 to some folks.

Nick
I know that was just your $0.02 but I feel like playing so here ya go...

I'm going to go rent a set of 20" Giovanna Spinner's and take a million pics just to **** everyone off lol....J/K... But, back in the day they didn't have 20's, back them they didn't have CAI's and hand held programmers, but everyone's putting that on their cars aren't they ?? ....Just a thought.... Flashing your computer doesn't really fill your obligation to respect it's heritage, seeing as how they didn't have those either...

"Here's $0.10 my $0.02 was free"
Old 08-09-2006, 02:05 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

ORIGINAL: 555*

The ride isn't much different than stock. As far as tires being expensive, stuff costs money haha. I run a 35 series tire, there is plenty of sidewall for a pot hole. Maybe not a manhole but I've hit plenty of potholes and no problems at all. As far as traction goes, there is more of a contact patch to the road with "flatter" tires.
I agree with that 100%

I was really worried about going with 20's because i heard all the nay sayers say the same things they are saying here. Well i am with 555 the ride to me actually got better, the overall ride improved as well as how the car drove.

Teh thing you need to figure out is how your car is going to be used. Do you plan on racing it every weekend and doing both 1/4 mile and road racing or is it meant to be a nice daily driver that you want to look good. If your going to race and race hard then stay away from the n20 and stick with some 17 or 18" wheels and tires.
If you want a good looking car that your not going to race but simply drive then go with the 20's.

I do not plan on racing our car and went with 20's and do not regret it one bit. How could i, look at how badass the car looks. If you are going to go with 20's i highly suggest you lower the car as it begs to be lowered once the 20's are on. I am not into this whole big wheel craze but i must say the Mustang was made for 20's.

Richard

Richard, your car is very sharp, so first, please accept my compliments. That said, please understand that I don't wish to offend you when I echo my earlier comment and add that your car also borders as a good example of a car that is one step away from being ghetto. I mean, that's a BEAUTIFUL car as you have it styled right now, but lowering it that low and adding those big wheels just alters it in a way that I don't think it deserves. I don't AT ALL think the Mustang "was made for 20's" and certainly don't think it "begs to be lowered".....EVER. The car was designed to be a muscle car, not a pimp-mobile....and lowering it and adding 20's draws it closer to that than muscle. All due respect to you and your choices, and again, no offense intended. I certainly believe we all have the right to personalize our cars as we see fit; I'm just saying I don't think the Mustang, of all vehicles, deserves to be blinged out, ghettoed, and lowered to the point of making it ready for a low-rider competition or appear in a Cheech and Chong movie.

Anyone remember the 80s and 90s craze of lowering pickup trucks to the point of almost being on the ground? Did you hate it as much as me because it made no sense at all to have a utility vehicle or FOUR WHEEL DRIVE that couldn't even drive over a curb? I feel the same way about the Mustang. Let it rumble, let it race, let it run free -- and keep it classic!

Nick

Old 08-09-2006, 02:19 AM
B2

18's look like a nice compromise. Am I the only one that thinks the car looks nice with the larger wheel wells and not lowered. I will say that lowered looks good too but I don't mind the standard height.

B2
Old 08-09-2006, 02:21 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

I'm going to go rent a set of 20" Giovanna Spinner's and take a million pics just to **** everyone off lol....J/K... But, back in the day they didn't have 20's, back them they didn't have CAI's and hand held programmers, but everyone's putting that on their cars aren't they ?? ....Just a thought.... Flashing your computer doesn't really fill your obligation to respect it's heritage, seeing as how they didn't have those either...

[/quote]

Yes there are alot of people using CAIs and tunes, but they're adding to the muscle of the car, not the appearance. I want to add louvers and stripes to my car to improve its appearance -- the louvers to reminisce on the old 60's 'Stangs and the stripes to enhance its speed "appeal"-- and then also add some performance touches to pick up some more power. PLEASE don't misunderstand what I intend to say by using the term "classic" in my previous posts. We're in 2006 and I'm just saying this body style can ALSO go down as an all-time classic American car much like the 60s fastbacks, the Boss 302, etc....as well as 66 GTOs, 72 Chevelles, 67 Galaxies, etc. To that end, I think it's appearance should be savored and protected so it has a chance to grow some respect like those older models did. If many of us bling 'em out, they may very well go down as just another wanna-be that never was.

I really don't intend for my comments to spark controversy, so I hope they don't...but I'll shut up now just in case.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:27 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Silencer06

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

Yes there are alot of people using CAIs and tunes, but they're adding to the muscle of the car, not the appearance. I want to add louvers and stripes to my car to improve its appearance -- the louvers to reminisce on the old 60's 'Stangs and the stripes to enhance its speed "appeal"-- and then also add some performance touches to pick up some more power. PLEASE don't misunderstand what I intend to say by using the term "classic" in my previous posts. We're in 2006 and I'm just saying this body style can ALSO go down as an all-time classic American car much like the 60s fastbacks, the Boss 302, etc....as well as 66 GTOs, 72 Chevelles, 67 Galaxies, etc. To that end, I think it's appearance should be savored and protected so it has a chance to grow some respect like those older models did. If many of us bling 'em out, they may very well go down as just another wanna-be that never was.

I really don't intend for my comments to spark controversy, so I hope they don't...but I'll shut up now just in case.
...You say all this yet in your sig one of your planned mods are.. "18" chrome wheels w/spinners"
Old 08-09-2006, 02:29 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

...You say all this yet in your sig one of your planned mods are.. "18" chrome wheels w/spinners"
[/quote]

18" chrome wheels are not big or bling....and spinners go back to the 60s. I'm not talking SPINNERS like those spinning rims, I'm talking about those Mustang unique 3-spoke center caps that DO NOT SPIN.

Quick Reply: What is the best size wheel for the 2006 Gt?