Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Products

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 11:16 PM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Carbon Fiber Products

Well here is the a couple of pics of the Siebon hoods. IMO theres is nothing wrong with Carbon fiber parts, though to use it as a weight savings method might not produce that good of results. Personally i wouldnt mind goin with the cowl hood and leaveing the cowl part CF but painting the sides Perf. White

Here they are:

[IMG]local://upfiles/36597/9310C1DBD81A4D6DA2C682F341DB43C0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36597/A45756B082DA4A12B0A13D44D3819E0B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36597/98CE32811F9E42A68A64A0C7A8D2729D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-11-2006, 12:23 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

The middle one looks like a CF version of the Cali Dream hood... my fav hood ... If only it was painted.. then you couldnt tell it was CF. Depending on price and fitting it might not be bad.

Again, nothing is bad about carbon fiber (as long as you paint it), its great at what it does, but I wouldnt buy a hood or anything else for that matter, solely because of saving weight like... SweetGT said.... simple fact is its not going to save you enough weight to worry about... PERIOD.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:25 AM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage
Actually I didnt take it, or even put it on here as my avatar for that matter, and whats creepy? That my hair isnt nicely trimmed up and corformed to everyone elses "standards"? Or the fact that I wasnt sober and didnt try to pose for the picture and be fake? O and dont label me "EMO" because first off you have no idea what kind of music I listen to, and secondly you have no idea that Im a wannabe. k thanks.

O, and I agree high modulus carbon fiber is stronger, its used for various aircrafts and the like and is very expensive, but the cheap stuff used for car parts is not.
What you guys think is really carbon fiber is basically a knock off cheap version of real carbon fiber and often isnt made solely of carbon fiber. Its often a light metal or plastic frame with a carbon fiber composite surrounding, or sometimes even carbon fiber reinforced plastic. Before you tell me to do my homework, realize whats on the market and what these "carbon fiber" products REALLY are.
Well, it just creeps me out. Kind of like one of those pictures/paintings where the eyes seem to follow you everywhere you go. Every time I see that picture, it just makes me cringe. I have no "standards" for hair, and I'm not going to go any further into this discussion, so just let it go...

And I'm more than aware of the difference between say aircraft grade carbon fiber and automotive grade carbon fiber. Having a father that's worked in the tool, die, and machining industry for over 35 years, and having worked in it myself for a few years myself, I'm pretty well on par with knowing what kind of materials are used in a lot of manufacturing. (I actually worked for a company that made parts for Ford, Gilette, and the Space Shuttle). So before you assume that you know more than me, I suggest you ask.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:32 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I never said that I knew more than you did, but dont sit here and lie to these people and make it seem like carbon fiber is the end all save all weight reducer of the world, because fact is, most "carbon fiber" products on the market arent totally carbon fiber and still have a metal or plastic frame and/or surrounding. So stating that they are superior is in fact a lie. SOLID high modulus carbon fiber is roughly 15 times stronger than steel, whereas the stuff on the market for car parts is probably around 1/3 to 1/2 as strong.

And sorry to offend you with my "creepy" drunk picture. Personally I think a grown man with a demented cartoon picture is a littler "creepier", but again thats JMO...
Old 08-11-2006, 12:45 AM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

I never said that I knew more than you did, but dont sit here and lie to these people and make it seem like carbon fiber is the end all save all weight reducer of the world, because fact is, most "carbon fiber" products on the market arent totally carbon fiber and still have a metal or plastic frame and/or surrounding. So stating that they are superior is in fact a lie. SOLID high modulus carbon fiber is roughly 15 times stronger than steel, whereas the stuff on the market for car parts is probably around 1/3 to 1/2 as strong.

And sorry to offend you with my "creepy" drunk picture. Personally I think a grown man with a demented cartoon picture is a littler "creepier", but again thats JMO...
Wow, you're getting a little too personal for my taste, so I'm not going to stoop as low as you. I never said anything like that about carbon fiber products. I never said they would save you great amounts of wait, or that they were top-notch quality, so I would really appreciate it if you stop putting words in my mouth.

I've only been on this for a few weeks, and I've seen you act like you know absolutely everything, and to be honest, it's starting to get more than a little annoying. I didn't put you down in any way. Yes, I said your PICTURE was creepy, but I didn't say you were. Yeah, my picture is a cartoon. As a matter of fact, it's foamy from www.illwillpress.com, and if you've never watched some of his cartoons, you're missing out (oh, and by the way, they are for adults only, so no kids on there [for those of you that have kids]). While some of them are just straight offensive, some of them actually have a valid point.

I never said I even liked c/f on Mustangs. As a matter of fact, I said that I didn't. So I'm done arguing with you about this, because obviously you're confusing my posts with other's. That, and I just don't see the point of arguing over the internet.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:04 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SlappyGT

Wow, you're getting a little too personal for my taste, so I'm not going to stoop as low as you. I never said anything like that about carbon fiber products. I never said they would save you great amounts of wait, or that they were top-notch quality, so I would really appreciate it if you stop putting words in my mouth.

I've only been on this for a few weeks, and I've seen you act like you know absolutely everything, and to be honest, it's starting to get more than a little annoying. I didn't put you down in any way. Yes, I said your PICTURE was creepy, but I didn't say you were. Yeah, my picture is a cartoon. As a matter of fact, it's foamy from www.illwillpress.com, and if you've never watched some of his cartoons, you're missing out (oh, and by the way, they are for adults only, so no kids on there [for those of you that have kids]). While some of them are just straight offensive, some of them actually have a valid point.

I never said I even liked c/f on Mustangs. As a matter of fact, I said that I didn't. So I'm done arguing with you about this, because obviously you're confusing my posts with other's. That, and I just don't see the point of arguing over the internet.
LOL.. ok, you can talk sh*t about my picture but as soon as I say something about yours you cant take it. Alright thats cool, and its nice that you watch little cartoons on the internet, everyone has their own thing and thats a good thing, otherwise we would all be the same. But honestly dont sit here and call my picture emo and wannabe and creepy and not expect something back, thats just the way it is. And just so you know, I am none of those things, so dont pretend to know me OR my pictures. Next on the list, I realize you said you thought CF didnt look good on Mustangs, but you also stated that it was
ORIGINAL:SlappyGT
far stronger than aluminum
and that is taken out of context therefore its not true.

As far as me knowing it all, LOL far from it! I dont pretend to know everything about anything. In fact, if you would read 99% of my posts, Im usually asking a question. So dont make me out to seem like Im some know-it-all because I am nowhere near it. Im not someone that knows or even thinks he knows 100% about our cars or engines or anything else, but there are things that I DO know about, and things that I HAVE done lots of research on. And when someone else says something false to people I wont sit by and let others distort information or give one sided info. My whole reason for being here is to learn more and do more research on my car and to help a few people on subjects that I do know about. Despite a few of you who think Im here to argue and ramble on about mindless bullsh*t, someone always seem to catch me on the couple posts that Im not being productive on and blow it way the f*uck out of proportion.

Simple fact is, alot of people on here LOVE to give their opinions but then HATE it when someone disagrees with them. Sorry folks, thats not the way it works. Dunno where the f*ck you come from, but Im from America, and my fore-fathers fought to give me the ability to say whatever the hell I want and I am grateful every day for that. I am also signing up for the military in a few years and will hopefully be able to serve my country to protect mine and everyone else's freedom to say whatever the hell they want, despite whether I agree with them or not. I would never attempt to silence anyones opinion because I believe they have a RIGHT to have it. I also have a RIGHT to have my own and personally if you dont like how I feel then I really dont give a damn, as Im sure you dont give a damn about how I feel.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:15 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to say 2 things:

1) Even "low-grade" automotive class carbon fiber would be stronger per square inch than the same thickness of aluminum. Yes, that is try. That is not falsified, therefore I am not lying to anyone. If you look at the difference between the thickness of aluminum on a wing, and the thickness of c/f on the same type of wing, you'll notice that the aluminum will be at least 2 - 3 times thicker than the c/f. So given the materials in the same thickness, c/f will always be stronger.

2) You are a child bl1nkage, and you're really starting to **** me off. I didn't take offense to you talking about my avatar, quite the contrary. And I didn't say you were Emo, or creepy, or anything else. I said the PICTURE was. So calm yourself down, don't get your panties in wad. This is a public forum, people can post what they like. I'm done with this entire "conversation." Have a great day!
Old 08-11-2006, 01:09 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SlappyGT

2) You are a child bl1nkage, and you're really starting to **** me off. I didn't take offense to you talking about my avatar, quite the contrary. And I didn't say you were Emo, or creepy, or anything else. I said the PICTURE was. So calm yourself down, don't get your panties in wad. This is a public forum, people can post what they like. I'm done with this entire "conversation." Have a great day!
Me being a child is an opinion, same as if I were to say youre a geezer. And you obviously dont remember or cant read what you wrote perviously, but no matter, youre a lost cause. Not to mention at least HALF of my last post was about people being able to say whatever the hell they want. But O well, you seem too stubborn, so I give up, have your precious carbon fiber wing, and have fun when you pay 3 grand for it and when it snaps off at 180. K thanks, I will
Old 08-11-2006, 03:02 PM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

Ill be getting the CF hood and not painting it, I dont understand if you hate that we want CF parts on our car why did you even come into this thread?
Old 08-11-2006, 03:21 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ANBAUTO

Ill be getting the CF hood and not painting it, I dont understand if you hate that we want CF parts on our car why did you even come into this thread?
Ah, well put...

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Products