Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Problem Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 09:13 PM
ebcdic

Default Paint Problem Advice

Hey guys, picked up my 06 Fire Red GT about 3 weeks ago and am loving it....

Last weekend it was nice and sunny out and decided to give it a wash. While washing I noticed about a inch and half by an inch
square on my hood with a small dimple in the middle. Looked to me like a buffer mark.

I took it to Ford and they were able to get the square out but the tiny dimple, which can only be seen from certain angles, remained.
They were super cool and told me they would do whatever I wanted, including painting my entire hood. Note I would never have noticed the mark if not for the buffer mark.

My question is should I get the hood painted? My fear is it is not going to hold up like a factory finish. Also anyone else out there have these marks on their factory finish. Almost like a spec of dirt landed on it while they were painting it...

Old 08-09-2006, 09:22 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Paint Problem Advice

You mean a ding? I found a ding the other day in my week old car ... They are having a paintless dent removal guy taking it out for free since we are assuming it came that way from the lot ...
Old 08-09-2006, 09:28 PM
ebcdic

ORIGINAL: dmhines

You mean a ding? I found a ding the other day in my week old car ... They are having a paintless dent removal guy taking it out for free since we are assuming it came that way from the lot ...
No not a ding. It is like a tiny pin recess in the actual paint. Like a spec of dirt...They called it a fish eye.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:13 PM
marguerite66
4th Gear Member

Yes, I noticed 1 or 2 on my driver door but you can't really notice them. I figure worst case scenario, I may have to fix it with touch up paint if the spec ever comes off. My opinion is if it isn't noticeable to you (who would notice more than anyone), I would just leave it alone. Of course, I don't know what yours looks like so I don't know how bad it is. I just know the hood winds up getting rock chips here and there eventually. I know how you feel though, when you've just got a brand new car, the slightest thing just seems awful.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:34 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Yep a fish eye is the correct term and re painting the hood is really the only way to get rid of it unless wet sanding with some 2000 grit can get at it without taking to much clearcoat off. The problem with a repaint on the hood is you may get even more fish eyes. Fish eyes are usually caused by contaminates on the surface when it gets painted. I actually have a couple fish eyes in my car and one on the hood in fact. I also have a rock or something stuck in the paint in the door jamb area. To me it is not worth the hassle of letting them try and repair. Very few if any factory paint jobs are flawless.

Richard
Old 08-10-2006, 12:01 AM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

My experiance with paint work is if you think you can live with it do so. There were times when I had wished I took the same advice I'm giving you.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:56 AM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

I had debry on the side of the drivers door...chuncks of crap in the paint...I had them color sand it out and buff it, looks perfect.

If you can take a pic of the spot I could offer more advice, I use to work at a paint shop but I am kind of confused by the word dimple...when i think dimple I think it is sinking in...but you say it looks like debry?

Pic would be good.

I wouldn't get the hood painted by the way....but then again now is the best time b/c they won't have to blend it with the rest of the car since it is new...
Old 08-12-2006, 02:10 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

If the spec is only in the clear coat then it can be possibly be sanded (2000g) and rotary buffed (by a pro); if this will work they'll buff the entire hood. The only reason for repaint would be if the base color coat is affected in which case you may need to have the whole hood redone. I woudn't do it for something only you will notice; you may very likely have issues with a new color/clear job, like "match" for one.