Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter threaded center post loose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Urielo

Default Oil filter threaded center post loose?

Hello,

Today while changing my oil (2005 GT), I unscrewed the oil filter and noticed that the part where the oil filter screws to the engine (post with threads on the engine block that screws to the center opening of the filter) was easily unscrewed from the engine block. I just screwed it back as tight as I could using my fingers and then put the new oil filter on with no further problems or leaks, as tight as indicated in the oil filter housing (3/4 to 1 turn after the gasket makes contact).

I never noticed this in other cars. Is this normal? Should the threaded post by tightened to a specific torque?. This was the second oil change for my 'stang, previous filter was not overly tight, previous and replacement filter were OEM.

Thanks in advance,

U
Old 08-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Oil filter threaded center post loose?

It can happen. The folks on the assembly line tightened the original filter too tight. I'd remove the "stub" and use some Loc-tite on the threads and re-install the part "wrench tight" (probably the stub is steel but the housing is aluminum).
Old 08-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Urielo

Default RE: Oil filter threaded center post loose?

The filter from the factory did come way too tight. The stub seems to be steel with an hexagonal opening in the middle to use an allen wrench or something similar, from what I´ve read that is the filter outlet.

I've never noticed it lose in other cars, but then again you never touch those parts when changing the oil because they are scorching hot.