Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Scoop flew off, funny story

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:54 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default Side Scoop flew off, funny story

I was merging on to the highway the other day and as I merged into the left lane (while accelerating) my Cervinis Side Scoop on the drivers side decided to fly off! Luckily there was no paint damage done to my car from the 3M ripping off at such a rapid pace, but I just removed the other one and threw away $300 from that flying off. I was going to take them off anyway because the concept of them just ramming all that air into a pouch of plastic just wasn't my game. It was bound to happen and recommend anyone to stay away from side scoops unless they do the screw in ones from Ford which come on the 07's now.

-Jeff
Old 08-16-2006, 01:02 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Side Scoop flew off, funny story

How big are the Cervini scoops? My 3d scoops are solid as a rock ... they aren't going anywhere .. they are also rather slim and I don't catch much if any air .....
Old 08-16-2006, 01:31 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

I was merging on to the highway the other day and as I merged into the left lane (while accelerating) my Cervinis Side Scoop on the drivers side decided to fly off! Luckily there was no paint damage done to my car from the 3M ripping off at such a rapid pace, but I just removed the other one and threw away $300 from that flying off. I was going to take them off anyway because the concept of them just ramming all that air into a pouch of plastic just wasn't my game. It was bound to happen and recommend anyone to stay away from side scoops unless they do the screw in ones from Ford which come on the 07's now.

-Jeff
This is exactly why Im going to get mine opened up... I just dont think letting them catch air is going to work out too well, Id rather have the air flow THROUGH them. Sucks about your car though.. maybe louvres would be better?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:51 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

How hard is it to open them up. Basically Don't you just cut away the sheet metal and cut the wheel well lining?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:03 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

How hard is it to open them up. Basically Don't you just cut away the sheet metal and cut the wheel well lining?
Havent really discussed it in too much detail but my body shop guy said it wasnt too hard. Sounds like about what they would do though.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:09 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Seems like an easy DIY project if you have some fabricating knowledge. I really want side scoops too, but I as you want them to be functional as well.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:09 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

I'd like a set of rear 'sportslats', but the only ones Ive seen tape on...should one of them blow off for any reason, I wouldnt want to even think about what could happen... the installer would have the bulk of the liability(usually the car owner) let alone to have a accident/injury on the conscience...just seems wrong for that much 'wing area' to be 'stuck' on a car. to me the front hinge NEEDS to be hardware...that tape is pretty strong, but, its just foam rubber and adhesive...the mirror in my wifes van fell out in the driveway just sitting there one day- guess how Ford had attached them? no thanks.

So I'm still waiting for a decent set of bolt on slats...
Old 08-16-2006, 02:16 AM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

one of the reasons i went with the Roush Hood Scoop was because it bolted on.

i don't trust tape!
Old 08-16-2006, 02:19 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOLDSHORT

i don't trust tape!
Id rather just have a new hood! [8D] Too bad there arent any solid hoods with scoops fabricated in already.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:03 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

ORIGINAL: SOLDSHORT

i don't trust tape!
Id rather just have a new hood! [8D] Too bad there arent any solid hoods with scoops fabricated in already.

Give it time, I'm sure there will be and when there is you can bet I'll be gettin one. Actually they do have cowl hoods already but those are ugly IMO.

Quick Reply: Side Scoop flew off, funny story