Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wish me luck! Installing stripes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 03:13 PM
linernotejunky
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wish me luck!

with the curvature of the stripes, transfer tape is a no go.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:22 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Wish me luck!

No transfer tape, they are all seperate on their own piece of backing paper. Well actually they are all on the same or two pieces of backing paper and I had to cut the backing paper apart. This is why I say you need 2 people to install them because they could easily fold over onto themselves when peeling them off by yourself. The vinyl from baltimore streetmods is 3M and seemed very tough. I didn't have a single problem running the bare squeegy over them, you spray soapy water on top of the vinyl and squeegy out any bubbles. The squeegying part was very easy so far and even tucking the roof stripes under the front weather stripping wasn't hard. I used the squeegy to lift the little rubber seal and a small rubber mixing spatula (the kind for scraping mixing bowls, not the ones used to flip pancakes) to push the stripe down under the seal. I used 1 1/2 inch masking tape down the center as a guide to keep the stripes the same distance apart.

ORIGINAL: dmhines

So the Lemans stripes don't come with the tranfer tape on the topside of the stripes? The transfer tape provides several purposes ... protect the vinyl during install, lets the scraper slide easier during install and keep the spacing between the stripes perfectly aligned ...

One negative about the transfer tape is that you don't really know how good a job you did laying it down until you remove it ....
Old 08-18-2006, 08:58 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Wish me luck! Installing stripes.

Some pics of the back completed.

For those doing this yourself, be sure to peel the rear license plate pieces from the side (widest edge), trying to peel these long ways even with two people is not fun. Also before you squeegy the bottom of the rear license plate pieces, i would recommend wrapping a soft cloth or blue paper towel(shop towels) around your pinky finger and run it along this edge.

Do this several times to get the excess water out and allow the stripe to get in the seam, i had a hell of a time trying to get the edges to lay down once it had dried. The hardest part on the rear was the spoiler pieces believe it or not. I still have a few small creases underneath the spoiler that just wouldn't lay down for me. Also the spoiler pieces have a left and a right side as well, so be sure you have it on the right side before you start to squeegy.

Hopefully this info will help someone. I'm saving the front bumper for Sunday and the hood stripes for Tuesday.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:04 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

It's look really good man.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:05 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

By the way, for anyone worried about the rear license plate pieces. I was worried about these two because in the instructions it says to allow it to dry and then work out the creases just above the license plate. Well I can tell you they laid down just like the instructions said they would and very easily I might add. The hood should be a breeze after doing the back.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:22 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTlust

By the way, for anyone worried about the rear license plate pieces. I was worried about these two because in the instructions it says to allow it to dry and then work out the creases just above the license plate. Well I can tell you they laid down just like the instructions said they would and very easily I might add. The hood should be a breeze after doing the back.

Dang lookin really sweet dude.. really like the white on blue combo.. ya gonna get them painted on one day? And btw you live really close to me.. where are you at in volusia?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:44 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

I don't live in Volusia county. I bought the car from Mullinax ford in New Smyrna beach, I actually live in Putnam county 30 miles east of Gainesville. Mullinax is the only dealer i could find the color I wanted with a manual transmission, they were very nice to deal with by the way.

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

ORIGINAL: GTlust

Dang lookin really sweet dude.. really like the white on blue combo.. ya gonna get them painted on one day? And btw you live really close to me.. where are you at in volusia?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:01 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Great job ... that color combo looks good ..
Old 08-18-2006, 10:25 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Ooo, I see, well thats cool, I live in Orange
Old 08-19-2006, 12:17 AM
cyberjock4hire
1st Gear Member

Looks as if you are doing a great job. I installed a set of black on my 2005 screaming yellow GT. Fortunately for me I discovered the "do not get the backing wet" while doing one of the pieces that goes around the rear spoiler. I have a vert, so I was able to cut up one of the roof pieces as a substitute. Their kit is pretty easy to install. You may see some air bubbles or even some minor crinkles, give some time in the sun before freaking out. Mine have leveled out over time.
After about 7 months on the car, I scratched a slice out of one of the stripes on the bumper. Got a replacement, the old one came off real easy, and new one went on easy as well. They have a great kit, the cost is low and if you take your time, read through their web site and instructions, you will have a great looking finished product.

Quick Reply: Wish me luck! Installing stripes.