Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This article helps alot...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 02:51 AM
zjdoran7
1st Gear Member

Default This article helps alot...

I was kind of in the dark about underdrive pulleys and such, so I went searching and found this article:

about UDP's

It seems legit and all adds up. I think this might help some of you others that don't know much about UDP's.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:17 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: This article helps alot...

Doesn't suprise me in the least. The article makes some very good points. Particularly in regards the the balancer. They weigh what they do for a VERY good reason and I would never mess with something that had so much R & D put into to. Sean Hyland Motorsports is of a similar opinion in regards to the balancers on Ford 4.6 engines. Basically don't mess with it. Yeah I know may people are using this stuff but how many of them have actually made a dyno run before and after with no other chages including weather? Not many. As far as I'm concerned it's not worth taking a chance on a broken crank. The other pullys you could experiment with underdriving them but the gain is so small it's not worth the effort.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:31 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Good article.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Just do the math like it says: crack pulley's fix about 25% of the loss. the gt has 300Flywheel HP stock. If your a manual u lose about 15% of your hp to accessories and other stuff leaving u with 265rearwheelhp. That's 35hp lost. So putting on the 25% crank pulley would regain 1/4 of the hp lost or 8.5rwhp, and more if your an auto. The UDP also allows you to rev up quicker from less accesory drag. So the UDP is probably worth a couple tenths in the quarter. For $300-$400 that's not that bad after you've done all ur basic mods(CAI/Tune,Exhaust,Gears) and don't have the money for a cam/heads/intake yet!!!
So it's not a bad mod after all! Don't believe all article's completely, Mustangs are HP machines, not German refined, suspension built, BMW's or little low poweredricers!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

crack pulley's fix about 25% of the loss.
Lol.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:41 AM
MantaDreams
3rd Gear Member

If and when I purchase these, it would be from a reputable firm who are known for their product, and have been in the business for some time. If Steeda had been doing this for so long and cranks were falling off or blowing up right and left, well, they would have been out of business a while back or at least discontinued this product line long ago. I would believe that reputable businesses providing this product are aware of the harmonic balancing these "pulleys" need to provide.

And, oh, yes, I wouldn't buy UDPs for a Saturn either. Trying tro squeeze every hp out of that car? gimme a break.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:18 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Important to note that Steeda meets SFI standards and is officially named by Ford that its UDPs WILL NOT void your factory warranty - that imo is a big deal. (of course thats with pro installation)
Old 07-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Rock36
2nd Gear Member

You know looking back on the two years I've owned and modded my Mustang, someone has said atone point or another about how this or that N/A mod doesn't work or is a waste of time.

With the exception of a higher octanetune, I've read that exhaust upgrades inlcuding longtubes don't net that much power, I've read charge motion deletesare useless, I've even read that the CAI itself doesn't do anything,and now this article indicates UDPs aren't worth it.

Yet somehow my car is now putting down 308 rwhp on a dyno designed for AWD and my with my 4.10s. At the track I am running over a second faster than when I was a bone stock. Obviously something is working, and there are plenty who would agree.

There are lots of nay sayers out there, but I know from personal experience my car is much faster than it was before andI have all the basic N/A mods. So much for the factory optimally designing everything.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Nice, u can't change all hater or cheapscapes that don't want to lay out money for mods! Nice car, and what are the deletes? do they dyno anything? how much do they cost? are they street legal?
Thanx ahead of time!
Old 07-20-2007, 01:22 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

Just do the math like it says: crack pulley's fix about 25% of the loss. the gt has 300Flywheel HP stock. If your a manual u lose about 15% of your hp to accessories and other stuff leaving u with 265rearwheelhp. That's 35hp lost. So putting on the 25% crank pulley would regain 1/4 of the hp lost or 8.5rwhp, and more if your an auto. The UDP also allows you to rev up quicker from less accesory drag. So the UDP is probably worth a couple tenths in the quarter. For $300-$400 that's not that bad after you've done all ur basic mods(CAI/Tune,Exhaust,Gears) and don't have the money for a cam/heads/intake yet!!!
So it's not a bad mod after all! Don't believe all article's completely, Mustangs are HP machines, not German refined, suspension built, BMW's or little low poweredricers!
Youmay be correct about this If the entire 15% loss was with belt driven accessories alone. But in reality the loss is also includingdriving everything from the flywheel back in the power train. theUD pully mayor may not reduce the loss of the BELT DRIVEN ACCESSORIES, but it isdoing nothing for the losses incurred by the rest of the car.

Quick Reply: This article helps alot...