Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car got baked?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 08:58 PM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

Default My car got baked?!

This is for anyone who knows anything about painting.

the dealer removed the brake booster and obviously other components like the master cylinder in order to paint a small place near the fire wall that was damaged by brake fluid, painted and clear coated the area, then reinstalled the components between 10am and 5pm today. i know the mechanical part was a short and simple task but i just dont see how they painted and clear coated in one day along with the other things. i know someone who has had some work done there and he said that they put your whole car in a big over kinda deal so that the paint and clear coat will dry quickly.

to anyone who has experience in body work/paint is thisa normal??

thanks a lot in advance.

Ty
Old 08-21-2006, 09:21 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: My car got baked?!

What? Are you kidding? If they did anything it was using a heatgun just on the firewall. I seriously doubt they put your car in an oven.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:25 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTlust

What? Are you kidding? If they did anything it was using a heatgun just on the firewall. I seriously doubt they put your car in an oven.
It's not an oven... it's done with heat lights... an no, i doubt that they bothered for a small part on the firewall...
Old 08-21-2006, 09:35 PM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

but if they didnt bother becaue its is such a small place then would it be possible for them to have painted and clear coated it in one day along with unistalling and reinstalling the brake booster?

the reason i am so concerned is that i know the parts manager and he over heard the service manager telling someone to spray paint it and he almsot sh*t a brick and told him there is no way he was gunna do that.

Ty

Old 08-21-2006, 09:37 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mongrull006

but if they didnt bother becaue its is such a small place then would it be possible for them to have painted and clear coated it in one day along with unistalling and reinstalling the brake booster?

the reason i am so concerned is that i know the parts manager and he over heard the service manager telling someone to spray paint it and he almsot sh*t a brick and told him there is no way he was gunna do that.

Ty

Well paint drys pretty quick, but i dunno... [:-]
Old 08-21-2006, 10:13 PM
CurtX
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: randy78045

It's not an oven... it's done with heat lights... an no, i doubt that they bothered for a small part on the firewall...
Ovens are used in some circumstances though. Usually for a whole new paint job. Factories use ovens. I know, because I used to paint Hondas in the Honda factory in Ohio. The conveyer runs through a long series of actual ovens. Baking the fresh paint makes it more durable finish.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:14 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Is there anything you can easily remove that would have paint under it. If the car is black you should get 200 or 150 dry sand paper; other colors 220 black but use it dry. Just rub the edge of the sand paper over a small area that will be concealed anyway. If you get color on the sand paper right away then there is no clear coat; with CC you'll see a greyish residue only. You can sand through the CC if there is any; hit color; and continue to sand to see if you hit primer. If there is no primer the base color will not adhere to bare metal even if all brake fluid residue has been removed (which is always a risk here) No CC, no primer; it needs to be redone the right way.

This is a simple test; You can even use rubbing compound on a soft cloth in an inconspicuous spot and if you see the color of your car on the cloth, then there is definitely no CC. Try these tests right away; get your answer and if there's a problem you tell them another shop will verify the work if necessary. They can't fool you man!

It would be ok to do base and clear in a small protected area like that and send the car out the same day, w/o baking.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:34 PM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

so priming the area is a must i take it, i am not overly concerned if they CCed it or not because it is only like 5 square inches underneath the brake booster in an area you almost cant touch. they had my car a week and didnt touch it until today.

thanks for the advice, i am going to just ask them outright what they did and then check to see if they are lying to me or not.

Ty
Old 08-22-2006, 10:14 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

If there is no primer the paint will flake off in less than a year. Ask them the what they specifically did after they cleaned the area? ...see what they say.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:22 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Modern Urethane paint uses hardeners and catalysts ... it is dry and can be buffed within hours ....

Quick Reply: My car got baked?!