Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New sound system

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:12 PM
localgod11
2nd Gear Member

Default New sound system

I have an 06v6 that I bought without any shacker option (just base 4 speaker setup) I wanted to know if any of you guys have upgraded a sytem like this and what you did.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:52 PM
mrwhitegt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New sound system

so far all I've done to it is replace the head unit, I put in a Kenwood double din unit fits nice and has a good clean sound, also plays mp3's and all that and I can even hook up my I pod via a usb port.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:58 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

i took mine out because i ended up having problems with a stupid person breaking the screen but the eclipse double din gps/dvd is nice. orion speakers and subs are nicealongwith jbl or alpine amps
Old 08-25-2006, 12:15 AM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

You definitely want to start with a new head unit/receiver. And then replace the factory speakers with some decent components and for the thump go for some subs in the back.

I went with kicker components and a 12' kicker L5 solobaric. Only problem is I did not do any measuring so the kicker wont fit in the trunk so for now it's sitting on the back seats folded down. The bright side is I didn’t take up all my trunk space, and when I’m driving the seat is all the way back so no one could fit in the back seat anyways. The down side is my ears hurt.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:47 AM
Agleon
2nd Gear Member

anyone not have a problem with the shaker?
Old 08-25-2006, 01:02 AM
zjdoran7
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Agleon

Never had a CD skip or an MP3 not play, I love my shaker500.. absolutely the best stock system I have ever had. MY last car, I had a Pioneer 6200 h/u, memphis audio door speakers, tweeters, 2 12" Volvenhagen German Comp Subs and a MTX 300W amp, but that just got old, and I kinda figured out after a while that the only person that thinks a white guy bumping his music in front of the school is cool, is the guy in the car.

The shaker is a crisp clean system.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:49 AM
jay_t

ORIGINAL: zjdoran7

ORIGINAL: Agleon

Never had a CD skip or an MP3 not play, I love my shaker500.. absolutely the best stock system I have ever had. MY last car, I had a Pioneer 6200 h/u, memphis audio door speakers, tweeters, 2 12" Volvenhagen German Comp Subs and a MTX 300W amp, but that just got old, and I kinda figured out after a while that the only person that thinks a white guy bumping his music in front of the school is cool, is the guy in the car.

The shaker is a crisp clean system.
I definitely agree, the shaker 500 is the best stock audio system I've ever heard. I love cranking it up and rockin' out with the windows down to and from work (gotta do it while I can, before it gets cold). I'll think I'll leave it as it is for awhile, and put my money towards performance... The only thing it's missing IMO is the ability to hook up an ipod and control it through the stock headunit (yeah I know there are aftermarket units that allow this, but they don't seem too reliable from what I've read).. [&o]
Old 08-25-2006, 04:09 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

OK since you asked what I did here goes... ;P

(2)1500.1 Kicker ZX series amps
(3)12" Kicker CVR Subs in Trunk
(2)6x8" Kicker KS Series in Rear Deck
(2)6 1/2" Kicker SS Series Components in Doors
(2)8" Kicker CVR Subs in Doors
(1)350.4 Kicker ZX Series Amp
(1)Pioneer Avic-Z1
(1)Pioneer iPod Adapter
(1)Pioneer XM Traffic Adapter
(2)7" LCD Screens in Trunk

Pics will be up after Cervinis kit gets installed.

Not sure why the L5 will not fit in the trunk? Whats the air space it requires? But it fits behind the seat? Im sorry im a bit confused at that one.

I say if you are going to do it get it all done at once, if you only do the head unit or the speakers it will sound like @ss, its worth saving to get it all done right the first time, besides why have to take the car apart multiple times. Dose the V6 have 8" subs in the doors too?

Anyway the nice part is our cars come apart nicely.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I disagree about the head units. While I do think that a head unit can be a good upgrade, it is generally NOT the weak spot on these cars. I would only replace the head unit later, having already hit the weak spots:

The rear deck speakers are quite bad. That should be your #1 replacement.
The front speakers are OK if you have a shaker system, but I'd say that regardless that is upgrade #2. You can get some 5x8s that simply drop in. Do a search, you will find various models that people have used that are a very simple upgrade. The Infinity 6812 is one such speaker, but there are others too.

Simply changing these speakers is a very significant upgrade.

If you are interested in doing a more serious upgrade, then I strongly suggest Dynamatting (or equivalent) the body. While this doesn't have the "cool factor" of a new amp or subs, its benefits in sound quality improvement is far more significant. There is a reason that all the pros and serious amateurs do this as their #1 mod before they even consider something else.

Oh, and becasue someone asked, my Shaker 500 is working fine IMHO. There are certain brands of CD-Rs that it doesn't consistently read for MP3 discs, but most of the time it works fine. It is flawless on the radio and for playing CDs. I've never had any "crashes" or other errors that some people have described.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:41 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

Replacing your speakers while leavening the stock head unit is really pointless unless you’re going to add amps for the new speakers.

You will get better sound out of stock speakers with a new head unit, over new speakers (w/o an external amp) with the factory head unit.

And the rear speaker would really be the last thing to change. They are the speakers you hear the least.

Dynamating is a good thing, if you want show quality sound, but it adds so much weight it isn't worth it unless your gonna compete.

Cheapest thing to do for a system is add a new head unit then throw a sub and amp in the trunk. If you want more, upgrade front components and add an amp to push them.

It realy all depends on how serious you want to be. You could spend $500 bucks at Bestbuy and be completely happy, or you may blow 5 grand at your local custom shop and set off car alarms from a 5 blocks away.

If you are willing to do the installs yourself you can cut your cost in half.