Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a new mustang with manuel transmission!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Rrruss
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Bought a new mustang with manuel transmission!!

Starting off in traffic, especially uphill, is going to take some time to get used to, eventually it will be like riding a bicycle, it will come naturally.

It's just going to take some practice to get used to it. Just leave extra room in front of you so you can give it a little extra gas when you take off, that way if you lurch forward a little you won't hit the car in front of you, and there will be less of a chance of rolling backwards into the car behind you.

You will stall it a few times until you get the hang of it, but keep the faith, once you get the hang of it you will love it.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:39 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

Thanks!

Is starting off in 2nd easier...
Old 08-31-2006, 01:47 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

ORIGINAL: jay91489@msn.com

Thanks!

Don't even think about trying that. If you want to learn how to drive a stick, learn it correctly. First gear is there for a reason....and it's NOT to be skipped.

Don't you know anyone that can go out on the road with you to help teach you? I dunno, maybe it's just me but it seems bass ackwards to spend the money on a manual (with a A) transmission in a car like this if you don't even know how to drive one yet. You can damage the tranny over time and definitely wear out your clutch much sooner if you learn to do it wrong, and that just doesn't seem like a solid investment to me. Hell, I wanted a manual and couldn't even find one, and I KNOW how to drive one. You don't know how to drive one and you have one! Amazing.

Anyway, my suggestion to you is that you let that new Stang sit in the driveway until you learn how to drive a stick properly. To do that, go rent the cheapest car you can find with a manual tranny in it and learn on it. DO NOT risk damage to that brand new classic vehicle of yours that should be taken care of instead of abused. Get a rental, have a ball for a few days, THEN carefully adjust to your baby.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:21 AM
PCstang05
2nd Gear Member

I have an '05 gt auto (unfortunately). A few weeks ago, me and my buddy went up to the local Ford dealership with my mustang and we were lookin at the other mustangs. They have an '07 California Special which looks very nice. And they also have an orange '07 manual. We got the salesman to let me take it out to test it. Now I don't normally drive stick, I've driven one a couple times, but he took me out and we switched. He let me drive it, and I stalled it a couple times at first, cuz it's been a while, but then I got back into the swing of things. I gotta say, I REALLY wish our mustang was a manual, they are so much more fun than autos. The salesman also said that it's pretty much impossible to get a manual GT. That kinda sucks, cuz you would thing with this type of car, more people would want it to be a stick. Can't wait til I someday have a stick.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:28 AM
Big Red
2nd Gear Member

Im lucky our dealer here says they always make sure they have manuals in stock, though most are autos, I got a manual, I learned on a Focus, and I have to say you probably chose the most diffucult car to learn manual on. Heres my best tip for you, you know youre doing it right if the ride is smooth and not jerky, if you do it really well you can make it feel smoother than an auto. Just dont ride the clutch too too much out of first, but as long as you keep it under like 1500RPM before you get off the clutch completely youre fine.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:05 AM
Jas06GT
1st Gear Member

and I have to say you probably chose the most diffucult car to learn manual on.
Well he could be learning on a GT.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:25 AM
ipchay61
1st Gear Member

One thing that I was told when I got my first manual trans vehicle......."DON'T RIDE THE CLUTCH!!" Keep your foot off of the clutch pedal whenever you're moving unless you are in the process of shifting. Also, don't use the clutch to hold your position on an incline. You will wear it out. When I was teaching my daughter to drive a manual, anytime she had to take off uphill, I had her use the parking brake to keep from rolling back until she got the feel for the clutch.

-Chip in SC
Old 08-31-2006, 09:35 AM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

I don't drive in traffic thank god! Parallel parking isn't any more difficult for me.

First gear is the hardest for people to learn, just give it extra gas before you take your foot off the clutch until you can evenly release the clutch and give it gas at the same time. Just don't give it to much gas then let off the clutch quick or you'll spin the rear tires, also known as popping the clutch or getting/catching a wheel!

ORIGINAL: jay91489@msn.com

thanks
but i need some advice with first gear...
after that im usually fine
is parell parking hard with stick
and wat do u guys do i traffic
Old 08-31-2006, 11:25 AM
ArcticFrog
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PCstang05

The salesman also said that it's pretty much impossible to get a manual GT. That kinda sucks, cuz you would thing with this type of car, more people would want it to be a stick. Can't wait til I someday have a stick.
I did a dealer search about 3 days ago and there's 5 '06 GT's within 25 miles of me sitting on dealer lots that are all manuals (LOL at the illegal alien in the trans. comment!!) I live in NW Arkansas so if you're looking for them, come and get 'em while they last! There were 3 Torch Red, 1 Screamin' Yellow and 1 Windveil one.

A
Old 08-31-2006, 01:21 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

Thanks for helping!!
I couldnt find a stick in my 50 mile radius. Therefore we drove out of state to get one!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/47536/86CCB79475D1400C82845A2015A0859C.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Bought a new mustang with manuel transmission!!