Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My brake fluid is leaking out of the reservoir, what is the problem and how do they fix it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:59 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My brake fluid is leaking out of the reservoir, what is the problem and how do they fix it.

Mine has leaked since the day I brought it home.......have to clean it every time I detail.....

And no, it was not overfilled....

Old 09-01-2006, 11:21 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My brake fluid is leaking out of the reservoir, what is the problem and how do they fix it.

I recall hearing someone mention they had seen a fix on The Mustang Source that some guy put a rubber washer under the inside of the cap and it solved the problme. The washer was purcahsed at Home Depot or soemthing like that. I have not been able to locate that thread over there but i have heard about it.

Richard
Old 09-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

I fixed mine by siphoning out some fluid. I siphon out fluid so the brake fluid is approx. ¼†below the full mark on the reservoir. I haven’t had any leak issues since. I would note if you do this to make a permanent mark on your reservoir so you know if you need to add anymore fluid.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:57 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I went to my dealer and they replace the cap twice, but it still leaked. I fixed it myself by removing the cap, removing the rubber seal, placing the rubber seal on a plastic lid (like on a deli or margerine container) and then trimming a round piece the same size as the rubber seal.

Insert the plastice piece you just made insde the cap and then replace the rubber seal. Now put the cap back and that should be the end of the leak. My dealer said they would pain the frame rails where the brake fluis stripped the paint away. I need to make an appointment and bring it back.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:23 AM
1BADD05
3rd Gear Member

HAVE NOT SEEN A 05 OR 06 THAT DOESNT LEAK!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:24 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

so why wont ford fix it? i knew it was leakin on mine too especially when i park it on incline but i didnt kno it would damage the paint, ughhhh another issue, between that and the water i get in my door sills when i open them, it'll be a rusk bucket because of ford, even if i take care of her. even my headers are rust looking
Old 07-24-2007, 12:02 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

Mine does the exact same ****. Also ill get a code that says check brake fluid or some ****.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:32 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

1+ I was just at a car show this past weekend and this very problem was brought to my attention. I was told that the seal on the cap is the weak point and to use the teflon tape as ProfessorWizard just explained!
ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

The Brake fluid cap leaks on MOST of the S197 Stangs. some wors then others.

The fix.... wrap a wrap of teflon tape around the threads. (The same stuff you use on water pipes!).

Ford is aware there is a problem, but had decided not to do a TSB on it. IF it leaks and eats the paint underneath, most dealers will repaint if you complain.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:31 AM
06SilverStang
1st Gear Member

I had my car now for 1 year, I lowered the fluid level, created a better gasket for the cap and added the teflon tape but I still get small amounts of brake fluid on the reservoir. My next step is have the reservoir replaced. I notice the fluid around the seam where the two halves meet.

Glenn
Old 10-22-2007, 09:03 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

guys, its not only the cap, the major issue is the seam which drips to paint under it and makes it peel, mines going in next friday for repair

Quick Reply: My brake fluid is leaking out of the reservoir, what is the problem and how do they fix it.