Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My brake fluid is leaking out of the reservoir, what is the problem and how do they fix it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:05 AM
06SilverStang
1st Gear Member

Default My brake fluid is leaking out of the reservoir, what is the problem and how do they fix it.

My 06 Mustang GT 5 speed has leaking brake fluid on top of the reservoir and side by the seams. Dealer said that was from over filling the brake fliuid past the line. Yes, I guess to much fluid could cause some to come out when pressing the clutch/brakes but could this be the other problems with the reseroir and/or cap that I have read about here? Can you please help me with what is the problem and what are the fixes. Thank you.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My brake fluid is leaking out of the reservoir, what is the problem and how do they fix it.

The fluid level is allittle high. Suck about 1/4" out and it won't leak past the vented cap around turns as it gets sloshed around. Don't fill it to the MAX line.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:05 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My brake fluid is leaking out of the reservoir, what is the problem and how do they fix it.

I had this exact issue, but after wiping it clean, re-seating the cap and driving a couple thousand more miles, the amount leaked was far less. I wiped that clean again, re-seated the cap and so far, after about a thousand miles.... no more leak.

The very first time I noticed this, when I removed the cap I saw that the fluid level was just way too high... almost to the brim! Now, after several thousand miles of use, it has gone down apparently enough to not leak anymore. In my case anyway, I am of the opinion that it was simply overfilled in the first place and that was the cause.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:38 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Everone should check if their brake reservoir cap is leaking. Whatever the cause, that brake fluid can drip down and damage the paint inside your engine compartment. Once those spots start lifting, they'll rust. [:'(]
Old 09-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

The Brake fluid cap leaks on MOST of the S197 Stangs. some wors then others.

The fix.... wrap a wrap of teflon tape around the threads. (The same stuff you use on water pipes!).

Ford is aware there is a problem, but had decided not to do a TSB on it. IF it leaks and eats the paint underneath, most dealers will repaint if you complain.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:09 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

I think I'll get some teflon tape for the threads even though my leaking seems to have stopped. I hadn't considered the inevitable splashing about on curves and such.

Was this issue ever narrowed down to the leak source as being the threads or the ventilated cap? In other words, has teflon tape proven to eliminate or at least greatly reduce this leak?
Old 09-01-2006, 02:01 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Mine did that. The dealer said there was a TSB on it and replaced the cap. That was a year ago and I have no more leak. My 2007 Ranger is doing the same thing. Seems to be a common problem.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:51 PM
ProStang
1st Gear Member

To be honest, ALL three of my Mustangs due the same thing.

02 GT Vert, 97 GT and 01 Cobra all leak. SO I don't think it a 05 & up thing...........

I can take picture if you like..........in 1 week.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:59 PM
stangmann
2nd Gear Member

i have a 2003 f-250 and it leaks i had a 2003 ranger and it did it as well. what the hell it is such a simple part cant ford just get it right god dam[:@] it is pretty sad the day when i get the stang i will already be fixing a problem but i will def use teflon tape, thanx prof wizard
Old 09-01-2006, 08:19 PM
silverbullet06

Guys,
I tried the teflon tape a couple of months ago, but I noticed it leaking again after only a couple of weeks. When I took the cap off, I noticed that the brake fluid had eaten right through the tape! It was a huge mess trying to peel the remainder away without bits of it falling into the resevoir!

Quick Reply: My brake fluid is leaking out of the reservoir, what is the problem and how do they fix it.