Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PAINTED MIRRORS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 03:38 AM
brstrike
1st Gear Member

Default PAINTED MIRRORS?

Ok so I am getting a 07 gt in just a few days and I went to the ford lot in town.I noticed the mirrors don't come painted.What's the deal? lol Anyways does anybody have thiers painted? THANKS GOD BLESS
Old 09-04-2006, 04:39 AM
motoxdirtrider84
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: PAINTED MIRRORS?

they dont come with painted mirrors but you can always get them painted. I got mine painted because i hated the cheap plastic look and I think they look great. I would highly recommend it.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:27 AM
Jas06GT
1st Gear Member

Im looking at getting these.
http://wheelskin.com/dg-mc67306.html
Old 09-04-2006, 05:37 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

There are several options other that painting them.

Midwest has these, I got 'em and they have fit perfectly so far:
http://www.midwestautogear.com/index...mart&Itemid=47

Here are similar ones I found:
http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05Exterior1.htm

Here are paintable covers:
http://www.autoaccessory4u.com/05fomumimico.html

Steeda has mirror covers that go over the whole thing:
http://www.steeda.com/

I don't know why Ford doesn't offer painted mirrors for at least the GT Premium. Even Honda is smart enough to paint the mirrors body color for the top model EX's...
Old 09-04-2006, 01:05 PM
WildRed
2nd Gear Member

here the ones im gonna order, i like theses because they cover the part on the door also

http://mossmustang.com/Shop/ViewProd...eIndexID=48587
Old 09-04-2006, 01:16 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I might paint up a set. But given the complete mirrors are only like 70 bucks a piece jobbers from the dealer. I am thinking of just buying a set and prepping and spraying them rather than touch the originals.

But, in all fairness, it is easy for me to do that as I am always doing painting, etc.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

I might paint up a set. But given the complete mirrors are only like 70 bucks a piece jobbers from the dealer. I am thinking of just buying a set and prepping and spraying them rather than touch the originals.

But, in all fairness, it is easy for me to do that as I am always doing painting, etc.
In that case have you ever thought of letting Mustang owners buy parts, ship them to you so you can paint them for a fee, then shipping them forward to the buyer? I would love to find a local business that paints just accessory or add-on parts only, but no luck!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:31 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I don't understand getting another set. If you even want black grainy plastic again order them then or get a pair at the junk yard. It's 2.5 hours of sanding per mirror. You do your own base and clear work? (you'll be using adhesion promoter right?) You will love the look of your painted mirrors, don't think you need extras sitting in a box somewhere.
IMO
Old 09-04-2006, 11:55 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

don't think you need extras sitting in a box somewhere.
I would definatly want a spare set. Just makes life easier. I can paint them at my leisure, and put them on. And if I ever need to re-paint them, I dont have to tie up the car. I also have a habit of collecting spare parts. For the two restos we own, we literally have two parts cars (one each model) dissasembled in storage minus the actual bodies and some driveline parts, plus boxes of NOS parts for each.

I am still contemplating about painting them, I go back and forth. They are so big and flat I am a bit concerned about stone chips. I also dont want to draw attention to them. But I might spray a pair to see what they look like at some point. I havent found a set of covers I like so far.

As far as mail order parts, we dont have a formal spray booth so it takes me a 1/2 day to convert the garage into a spray booth, clean it down, install my fans and booth filters, get the equipment out etc. We have done quite a few whole concours cars, but since downsizing, painting is not something we exactly do every day but we are always painting something every few weeks or so. But mostly we are mail order, in between my engineering work.

But yes, I do all my own body and paint work, base, clear, whatever. And yes, on a part like that, adhesion promoter is needed after the smoothing of the plastic, before the primer is shot on.

You should be able to find a body shop to paint them for a reasonable price especially if you do some of the prep and sand down the grain before handing them to the shop.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:26 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

They definitely look better painte. I do not like those plastic glue on covers, they look just like what they are. Fro the monet, I would rather get them painted. It may cost a little more in the long run but it looks much better.

Quick Reply: PAINTED MIRRORS?