Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zaino.... STREAKS! AAAAARGH!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 01:37 AM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Zaino.... STREAKS! AAAAARGH!!!!

Definitely need the hardener. I think your problem was in not removing the first wax before you added the second. If I am not mistaken, if you do not use the hardener, there is a maximum amount of polish you can use in a 24 hour period too. I use Zaino on my vehicle. Yes, its a real pain in the butt the first time around - but after that, it's super easy to maintain, and looks shiny even when the car is dirty. I put my first round on back in may, and here we are in september, and my car looks perfect when I was with the z7, and put the optical mist stuff on after. I am pretty sure you shouldn't have put two coats on without removing one first. Might have been the problem. Give it a shot by doing it the right way, trust me, you will love the results. Get the hardener, it cuts down on your elbow grease. I had NO problems at all getting the coats of wax off, it was a piece of cake, and put three layers of wax on the first night. The wax just came right off when I wiped it with a towel, no scrubbing at all. I swear my car was so smooth I got better gas mileage <j/k>
Old 09-05-2006, 01:45 AM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

I'll give the hardener a shot, but it even says in the instructions that the Z1 does not have to dry before applying the Z2. I guess it just wasn't dry even thought it sat in the dry Denver 80 degree suny for almost 2 hours.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:35 AM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

Add ZFZ Accelerator to Z2 and skip Z1.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:38 AM
C6 VETTE
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

ORIGINAL: BigNasty06

ORIGINAL: code3GT

ORIGINAL: Newbreedgt05

Try a microfiber towel....works magic! I had this same problem and this solved it.
+1. I loves my microfiber cloths.
I will definitely use one if I have to use the ice. I don't think Zaino recomends using microfibers on their products. " I believe their home page says "the jury is still out".

I'm starting to think Zaino is not worth all of the steps, and time.

Is it too much to ask to wash, dry, apply one product and then remove it?
I stopped using Zaino quit awhile back. Wasn't worth the $$ or time to me. Right now I use Meguiars NXT and even tried the new Turtle Wax Ice. I really like Meguiars.
+1 I never attempted to use Zaino , Perma Plate, or any other paint sealant on my Vette. I use Meguiars Gold Class Clear Coat Wax and my car looks beautiful. The only drawback for me anyways is when you are using a traditional wax instead of a Zaino or other brand sealant you need to wax more often (I wax once a month or after two car washes)

Old 09-05-2006, 02:49 AM
C6 VETTE
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigNasty06

ORIGINAL: RICVA05

Sounds like you need to claybar the car use the hardener with the Z-2 or Z-5 to establish a good base. Then use Z-2 for your second coat. You are not using towels that have color to them are you.
Nope, Cannon white towels. Gonna head out here in a few to wash with Z7, then go over is w/Z6 again. ::sigh:: Black...

C6- what did you end up doing? Detail shop or just lived with it? these are just streaks from the Zaino. Were ther permanent on your Camry?
No they were not.

Sorry to get back to you so late BigNasty06, I have found Meguiars Cleaner Wax or a Meguiars Clear Coat scrub/swirl remover to be adequate. Dont make it a habit of using these products often because even though they say its clear coat safe I personally believe each time these products are used they must remove a thin layer of the clear coat. Rule of thumb if you are removing streaks or swirls or paint oxidation there will have to be some kind of abrasives involed to remove these pesky paint imperfections.

If you have removed the streaks reapply the Zaino in the SHADE. You have a Dark colored car so your paint will heat up faster and waxing or washing a car for that matter in direct sunlight is a NO-NO.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:55 AM
Saunders1986

you sure can, zaino is good polish if you take the time it requires, i just dont like waiting around, so i use eagle 1 nanotech wax (not the spray) or some turtle wax ICE. shines just as good as zaino, without the cost or the time. i hate gold class, never ever liked it. scraches darker colors, or so ive been told. my car is black with green pearl and eagle one nano tech is pretty much the best ive tried. and ive tryed many. it fills scraches with ease.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:49 AM
steve07GT

Meguiars Professional #6 Cleaner Wax, this is the best one step wax I have used. Easy on, easy off, great shine. This is what I have used when I don't have the time to clay, polish, and then wax. I always seem to come back to this product. Works great on dark colors and does not streak if used on a cool surface. Apply with a dry foam applicator, let dry to haze, then wipe off with good quality microfiber towel. I have tried many other products but always come back to Meguiars.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Scott P
2nd Gear Member

Zaino is an excellent product that gives a very nice look and unmatched protection and durability. It is a bit finicky though, but still not hard to use. The key is thin coats. Most people apply way too much of any wax or sealant thinking that a thicker coat will protect better and look better. That idea is about as outdated and ignorant as the 3,000 mile oil change interval. Zaino works just fine with Z-1. Just as the bottle says, apply a thin coat of Z-1. When I say thin, I mean thin enough that you can barely see it on the car. Apply your Z-2 directly on top of the hazed over Z-1 also very thinly. Allow this combo to dry for at least an hour depending on temperature and humidity. Wipe a small area with your finger. If the Z-1/Z-2 comes off without streaking, then buff the car. Otherwise let it dry a little longer. I prefer quality microfiber towels over cotton. Even Sal likes microfiber better, but since the quality is all over the board out there, he can't recommend it to people who don't know what to look for in a towel. Saying "Cannon or Fieldcrest" is easier for people to understand.

Try to apply it in the shade though. Meguiar's consumer line and Turtle Wax don't come close to Zaino in terms of look, protection or durability. But for people who are more concerned about ease of use rather than looks or durability, then the over the counter products work well enough.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:03 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

Again, thank you guys for all of the advice. I'll try the accelertator w/Z2 the next time, if that doesn't work, I'll use the Ice that I had already bought.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:32 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

ORIGINAL: Scott P

Zaino is an excellent product that gives a very nice look and unmatched protection and durability. It is a bit finicky though, but still not hard to use. The key is thin coats. Most people apply way too much of any wax or sealant thinking that a thicker coat will protect better and look better. That idea is about as outdated and ignorant as the 3,000 mile oil change interval. Zaino works just fine with Z-1. Just as the bottle says, apply a thin coat of Z-1. When I say thin, I mean thin enough that you can barely see it on the car. Apply your Z-2 directly on top of the hazed over Z-1 also very thinly. Allow this combo to dry for at least an hour depending on temperature and humidity. Wipe a small area with your finger. If the Z-1/Z-2 comes off without streaking, then buff the car. Otherwise let it dry a little longer. I prefer quality microfiber towels over cotton. Even Sal likes microfiber better, but since the quality is all over the board out there, he can't recommend it to people who don't know what to look for in a towel. Saying "Cannon or Fieldcrest" is easier for people to understand.

Try to apply it in the shade though. Meguiar's consumer line and Turtle Wax don't come close to Zaino in terms of look, protection or durability. But for people who are more concerned about ease of use rather than looks or durability, then the over the counter products work well enough.

Yes, thin coats!!!! When applying it should almost look as though are are not putting enough on. After you have finished with the first coat, the rest goes easy!!!

Quick Reply: Zaino.... STREAKS! AAAAARGH!!!!