Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plenum Cover Mod for TBS

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:19 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Default Plenum Cover Mod for TBS

I finally got fed up with the reduced performance after removing my throttle body spacer to use the Ford Plenum cover.

I decided to cut the front of the plenum cover to make room for the tbs. Here are instructions for the mod:

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/plenumCvr.htm

and a picture of the final mod.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Cowtown
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Plenum Cover Mod for TBS

Looks good. Did the spacer really make that much of a difference in performance?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:25 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

It moves the torque curve down to the lower RPM range thus giving you more torque when you first step on the gas. It defineitely is noticeable. Without, I kept stalling out right after I removed it. I also got about 1-2 mi/gal less without the spacer.

Some argue that it doesn't give you any additional HP or torque, but what it does do is make it available sooner.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

Any chance you can get some dyno's to back this up?

Not saying it doesn't happen, or you're lying. Most people on here have experience and personal testimonials from how it feels, not from a dyno sheet telling them. But simply the fact that a dyno could help end the arguement that people have of if a TBS does have benefits or if it's a $100 paperweight.

Though you do have a V8, still leaves us V6 owners kind of in the world of arguement-never-ending weekends []
Old 09-07-2006, 01:28 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I have not had the car dynoed yet but jdback19 claims he saw a 10 HP increase in his dyno results. Another guy over at TMS said he had his car dyno and saw the torque curve move down to a lower RPM range giving him an extra 10 ft-lbs of torque at peak rpm.

All I know is that as soon as you install it, you notice the difference immediately after stepping on the gas for the first time. For under $100, I haven't seen any other mod that is as simple to install and provides as much performance.

Of course, if you have thousands of dollars to spend and are considering an SC, long tube headers, etc. then this is just a toy.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:33 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Meph

Any chance you can get some dyno's to back this up?

Not saying it doesn't happen, or you're lying. Most people on here have experience and personal testimonials from how it feels, not from a dyno sheet telling them. But simply the fact that a dyno could help end the arguement that people have of if a TBS does have benefits or if it's a $100 paperweight.

Though you do have a V8, still leaves us V6 owners kind of in the world of arguement-never-ending weekends []
Alot of people have said that its not the fact that it doesnt make power, just that it causes alot of problems with throwing codes and surging etc, just like the new throttle bodies available. I guess "the power isnt worth the trouble". Have you had any problems odiaz?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

Ouch, didn't read about the throttle bodies themselves having the surge issues.

I'll have to do a search on that and read up on 'em.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:46 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I believe MusicCityGT had a big problem with his and ended up taking it off and going back to stock because it was so bad...
Old 09-07-2006, 11:18 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

No, there are no problems at all throwing codes or anything like that. I've been using it for over a year and have not had a single problem. The thottle body spacer does not require a tune and will work with a stock air filter or a CAI.

The air volume delivered to the engine does not change, just the speed of the air that is delivered to the plenum. This is due to the Bernouli principle. The opening of the throttle body spacer is slightly smaller then the plenum opening and throttle body. As a result the speed of the air that passes through the throttle body is increased since the same volume of air has to be delivered. The JET TBS has spiral grooves cut on the inside walls of the spacer. This creates a "tornado" effect that does not do anything for performance, but eliminates the whitsling sound that some of the other throttle body spacers exibit.

The following url explains the bernouli principle

http://home.earthlink.net/~mmc1919/venturi.html

Overall, this was a very inexpensive, simple to install and worthwhile investment. I am very pleased and would not think of removing it again unless it were to add a SC or turbo, and that won't be any time in the foreseeable future unles I hit the lotttery.