Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STS or bust

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 12:44 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: STS or bust

That is absolutely badass. Manual? Auto?

I'm getting a job specifically to pay for a turbo, so I guess I'm going Powerhouse haha

Or Hellion...

Still can't decide.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:51 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

The numbers in my sig were at 9 psi on an otherwise bone stock car including the mufflers. They were also with the car already heat soaked and on a hot and humid day.
Thats awesome, how exactly do you change boost levels on a turbo, same as a SC, changing pulleys? And would you say that a turbo "stacks" hp more than a sc would?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:54 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Manual trans

No pulleys on a turbo it's exhaust driven not belt driven like a s/c. Boost can be changed with the wastegate spring, a manual boost controller (basically a device that limits how much boost the wastegate sees) by turning a **** or an electronic boost controller with a couple button presses.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:23 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Ooo I see, so then its alot simpler to amp up boost on a turbo than it is on a sc... is it safe to run at different boosts, say at the track and on the street? Would it be too much of a pain to have to change them whenever you go to the track or would you need a retune or what?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:41 PM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

Listen to bus above. I've got too much low end on my KB. I have to leave the line at 1500 RPM just to keep going straight. The turbo lag is a ghost. That lag thing with turbos is a 1970's issue (consider a properly designed application). Even with an efficient screw blower, we are losing about 50HP turning the thing. That is where bus is making the extra HP.
I do like my power adder, but given the opportunity I would give more thought to the Powerhouse leaf blower.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:01 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage
Ooo I see, so then its alot simpler to amp up boost on a turbo than it is on a sc... is it safe to run at different boosts, say at the track and on the street? Would it be too much of a pain to have to change them whenever you go to the track or would you need a retune or what?
Assuming a good tune with good gas then yes you can run slightly different boost levels (2-3psi possibly more) without a retune. Although I would always check the varying boost levels on a dyno to make sure everything looks good.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:21 AM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

1QSB, how long have you had your turbo, also how long has PH had theirs and are they still running the stock bottom end?

i really like this kit, i am just not sure how long i would trust those numbers on a stock bottom end.

btw, what is your AF ratio and how much timing are you running?

Ty
Old 09-09-2006, 12:26 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

I have had my turbo for 6 months and 6k miles. PowerHouse has made well over 100 passes on their shop car at or above my power level. The advantage to a turbo is even though the numbers are higher the motor isn't working any harder than a s/c at the same boost level because the s/c is robbing ~50hp from the car.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:32 AM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

yea, i understand you are getting bigger numbers because the engine isnt spining the S/C but i am am still kind of leary about putting down power like that on an otherwise stock engine

Ty
Old 09-09-2006, 12:48 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Look at it this way, would you be worried about a stock engine with a s/c at 400rwhp? It basically the same thing. In the end though it all comes down to the tune, how hard you turn the motor and the fuel that you feed it.

Quick Reply: STS or bust