Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STS or bust

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 10:34 PM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

Default STS or bust

Alright well i'm new to this forum but not to the mustang scene. But i need some advice/opinions from other stangers...what do you think about going with an STS Turbo kit and is it a good or bad idea to finance it through STS. Just wondering this because i need some go-fast parts on my car and i don't want to start small but i know i could get good reliable power from the kit so i need some damn help!!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 10:55 PM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: STS or bust

i would be very cautious about getting that kit, their financing and everything is very convinient but have you ever noticed where the air intake is on that kit? it may be ok for a car thats not a daily driver, but if you ever drive through water you way want to consider something else. also, i know the kit works well but imho all of the piping is unneccesary and may prove to be very problematic when clearing speedbumps or large pot holes.

JMO
Ty
Old 09-07-2006, 11:18 PM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

yeah but i know they offer guards and housings for the filter so i think it would still be safe, but it's not my daily driver either but i still want the most reliability i can get out of it...well thanks for the reply
Old 09-07-2006, 11:27 PM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

have you considered a powehouse or hellion turbo?

from what i hear they the STS doesnt spin up as fast as a more traditional turbo setup. plus the hellion and powershouse kits come with eveything you need except the tune while the sts doews not include plugs, injectors, et cetera

like i said before, you may want to check out your options before putting down the cash

Ty
Old 09-08-2006, 03:45 AM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: limer06stang

Alright well i'm new to this forum but not to the mustang scene. But i need some advice/opinions from other stangers...what do you think about going with an STS Turbo kit and is it a good or bad idea to finance it through STS. Just wondering this because i need some go-fast parts on my car and i don't want to start small but i know i could get good reliable power from the kit so i need some damn help!!!!
You need some go fast parts?? Sounds like you've been spanked and are looking for payback. Instead of a turbo, why not elim inate the lag and go with a true supercharger like the one from Kenne Bell? There are many on the market, but if you're looking for true performance and not just some show BS, spend the money and do it right. You'll be much happier.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:25 AM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

with full boost at 2900rpms, how much lag do you think a PH turbo really suffers from. I doubt you launch at much lower in a blown car. Just a thought, but from all I've been able to research, the "lag" from turbos are more and more becoming a thing of the past.

As for the STS system..I researched heavily (two months of constant reading and internet research while stuck in lovely Iraq) on KB, Whipple (when it finally hit the street, haha), Hellion, PH, STS, Paxton and some others.

In the end, my decision came down to a tossup between a PH turbo system and a KB SC. In the end, I found deals where I could get either for a similar pricetag (with all of the necessary parts ala injectors, BAP, included tuner, etc.) and I decided for a number of reasons to go with the PH turbo. Getting mine installed first weekend in October by PMP in NC.

STS has some solid, well thought feedback on it on this site and on another who's name I shall not mention, lol. But in the end, the location of the filter just was too sketchy for me to wanna try out, especially since my car is a DD.

Factor in the MAF adapter, BAP and injectors and if I'm not mistaken the STS system isn't that far off of the comparable systems out there, so if budget is an issue, it's not a winner necessarily.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:53 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Plain and simple the STS has major lag which shouldn't be an issue with a V8 and a properly sized tubo, the reason for the lag... simple the location of the turbo. It has also been reported the single turbo kit doesn't hit full boost until 4k rpms and if you look at the torque curve for an STS equipped car it looks more like a centrifugal.

ORIGINAL: Scotte28516
You need some go fast parts?? Sounds like you've been spanked and are looking for payback. Instead of a turbo, why not elim inate the lag and go with a true supercharger like the one from Kenne Bell? There are many on the market, but if you're looking for true performance and not just some show BS, spend the money and do it right. You'll be much happier.
You sir make it very clear you have no experience with turbos in V8 applications, my car makes full boost just as quick as any positive displacement s/c and makes an extra 100 ft-lbs to the wheels at the same boost level.

ORIGINAL: mongrull006
plus the hellion and powershouse kits come with eveything you need except the tune
Actually the PowerHouse kit comes with EVERYTHING you need including the tune. I should know I have one. Well... not everything you need some serious suspension mods to get the car to hook
Old 09-08-2006, 12:31 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Hey shortbus, what boost are you running with the Powerhouse to get those numbers?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:32 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scotte28516
You sir make it very clear you have no experience with turbos in V8 applications, my car makes full boost just as quick as any positive displacement s/c and makes an extra 100 ft-lbs to the wheels at the same boost level.
I can see the flame war starting, but this is very very true.

+Disp Superchargers have no real advantage anymore, since (as stated above) the newer turbos make peak boost almost as quickly and do it without the high parasitic loss of superchargers.

(Let's not forget that a Turbocharger -is- a Supercharger.)

Add in the ease of switching boost levels, efficiency, pricing, and cool factor and Turbos generally beat out Superchargers.

By the way, the 3V -loves- them.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:40 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

The numbers in my sig were at 9 psi on an otherwise bone stock car including the mufflers. They were also with the car already heat soaked and on a hot and humid day.

Quick Reply: STS or bust