Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with headunit

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 07:56 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

Default help with headunit

i want to install my subs...now does the shacker 500 have sub outputs or anything
and how do i remove the headunit and dashboard
Old 09-09-2006, 07:58 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Default RE: help with headunit

You too? My headunit isnt workin very well right now.... but whats that got to do with a shacker? [sm=alcoholic.gif]
Old 09-10-2006, 01:17 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

Ill sell u mine!!
Old 09-10-2006, 01:32 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

No, the shaker does not have any AUX inputs, your going to have to buy a wiring harness adapter from crutcfield. Now man, I'm just going to be straight up, lose the shaker, it sucks, and you will NOT be able to adjust your subs seperate from your regular bass, you can use a bass control ***, but everything is still going to sound like crap. Buy an after market headunit, it's so worth it if you want good sound !!!

To remove the shaker is pretty easy. Pull the two side trim pieces around the Head Unit towards you.

Than you unscrew the middle dash kit there are 6 hex bolts use a ratchet set, you need to disconnect the harness' for the TCS buttons, the cig lighter, and the info/ reset buttons.

Next remove the A/C wire harness, now be careful you dont start banging this thing because you will damage those controls. the left A/C harness is easy to get off, the one on the right is where you have to be careful. There are sensitive parts in there that will break if you get pist at this thing. It is held in by a clip that comes down over top the harness. Use a little screwdriver to push the side of the retaining clip in, which will release the clamp and slide it all the way up until the harness comes out.

Now you have that panel out of the way and you will find four more screws holding your stereo in, take those off and pull out, but be careful as usual they don't leave much extra wire, but you may find some tucked in so see if you got lucky before yanking.

I hope this helps, I know it's not the best write up, but it's better than nothing lol......
Old 09-10-2006, 09:24 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

No, the shaker does not have any AUX inputs, your going to have to buy a wiring harness adapter from crutcfield. Now man, I'm just going to be straight up, lose the shaker, it sucks, and you will NOT be able to adjust your subs seperate from your regular bass, you can use a bass control ***, but everything is still going to sound like crap. Buy an after market headunit, it's so worth it if you want good sound !!!

To remove the shaker is pretty easy. Pull the two side trim pieces around the Head Unit towards you.

Than you unscrew the middle dash kit there are 6 hex bolts use a ratchet set, you need to disconnect the harness' for the TCS buttons, the cig lighter, and the info/ reset buttons.

Next remove the A/C wire harness, now be careful you dont start banging this thing because you will damage those controls. the left A/C harness is easy to get off, the one on the right is where you have to be careful. There are sensitive parts in there that will break if you get pist at this thing. It is held in by a clip that comes down over top the harness. Use a little screwdriver to push the side of the retaining clip in, which will release the clamp and slide it all the way up until the harness comes out.

Now you have that panel out of the way and you will find four more screws holding your stereo in, take those off and pull out, but be careful as usual they don't leave much extra wire, but you may find some tucked in so see if you got lucky before yanking.

I hope this helps, I know it's not the best write up, but it's better than nothing lol......
thanks man
that really helps!
Old 09-10-2006, 10:05 AM
mlawdawg
1st Gear Member

What is required with a new head unti to hook up existing amps, subs speakers, and will this cure the problems?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:52 AM
IA_Chiefs_fan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

I might also add that they are 7MM bolts. Before you do any of these steps though you really need to ...
gently pry up and remove the two pieces of trim around the shifter
set your parking brake
open the console and remove the two phillips screws at the back
pry up big long piece of trim starting by pulling on the spots you just removed the two screws from
follow backinblack06's good advise!
definitely get a new head unit
Old 09-10-2006, 03:16 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlawdawg

What is required with a new head unti to hook up existing amps, subs speakers, and will this cure the problems?
Aux outputs would help out alot... take alook at my cardomain page 2
Old 09-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Agleon
2nd Gear Member

Ford should offer a Delete option for radio, just like the delete spoiler option.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:38 PM
mlawdawg
1st Gear Member

Dayum. what all did you change--amps, subs, all?

Quick Reply: help with headunit