Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with headunit

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 06:50 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: help with headunit

ORIGINAL: mlawdawg

Dayum. what all did you change--amps, subs, all?

haha, not a single thing about my system is stock, not even the wire from the head unit to all the speakers. JL audio component speakers all around, 3 JL amps, Pioneer navi head unit, JL subs. Took an entire day and re-ran all speaker wire, 2 guage amp kits as well.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:28 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06stangGT

ORIGINAL: mlawdawg

Dayum. what all did you change--amps, subs, all?

sweet nice car!!

haha, not a single thing about my system is stock, not even the wire from the head unit to all the speakers. JL audio component speakers all around, 3 JL amps, Pioneer navi head unit, JL subs. Took an entire day and re-ran all speaker wire, 2 guage amp kits as well.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:41 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

If you are going to use the factory amps and speakers, I did, you will need to put a 5v regulator on the amp trigger wire coming out of the new head unit. The amps trigger at 5 volts, but the aftermarket heads have a 12 volt trigger wire. Get it at radio shack. Here is the part you need.

If you don't use it, you will get a loud thump from the amps when you turn on the system.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:28 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

If you are going to use the factory amps and speakers, I did, you will need to put a 5v regulator on the amp trigger wire coming out of the new head unit. The amps trigger at 5 volts, but the aftermarket heads have a 12 volt trigger wire. Get it at radio shack. Here is the part you need.

If you don't use it, you will get a loud thump from the amps when you turn on the system.
Amen to that......this is definately a must. You also need to secure it to something metal to use as a heat sink so add plenty of extra wire.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:18 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Amen to that......this is definately a must. You also need to secure it to something metal to use as a heat sink so add plenty of extra wire.

+1
Old 09-12-2006, 05:30 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Just got done ordering a head unit for the other GT. It should be in by the end of the week. The wife loves the sound of mine so I ordered her the same setup as I have except for the XM tuner. She said her Shaker 500 sounds like crap next to mine. I know she wants hers upgraded after listening to mine but hasn't said anything. Her birthday is this weekend and our anniversary is next weekend so I am getting this for a combination present.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:16 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05BlueGT

Just got done ordering a head unit for the other GT. It should be in by the end of the week. The wife loves the sound of mine so I ordered her the same setup as I have except for the XM tuner. She said her Shaker 500 sounds like crap next to mine. I know she wants hers upgraded after listening to mine but hasn't said anything. Her birthday is this weekend and our anniversary is next weekend so I am getting this for a combination present.
lucky girl!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:42 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

When I bought my 5v regulator at Radio Shack they had a nice Finned Aluminum heat sink designed to be used with it for a couple of bucks hanging on the rack right next to it ... that is what I am using ...

Old 09-14-2006, 12:38 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dmhines

When I bought my 5v regulator at Radio Shack they had a nice Finned Aluminum heat sink designed to be used with it for a couple of bucks hanging on the rack right next to it ... that is what I am using ...

nice ride!