Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear bra

Old 09-10-2006, 11:14 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Clear bra

ORIGINAL: classj

Actually, from what I have seen venturefilm is a far better product than the 3m. I have seen the 3m yellow on porsches over time. Also the venturefilm is smoother and has less orange peel.

I ordered a kit for the hood and fender tips. Cost 200 bucks. Full kit was 400 but I didnt want to do the bumper. I am going to install it sometime in the next few weeks.

BUT, I have done this type of work before and even I am a bit worried about the install but will still do it and take my time. I wouldent reccomend it to your average guy.

Locally, I was quoted 500 for the hood and 750 for the whole nose by a couple tint shops.

Really, the 3M yellowed? Could it have been something in the Porsche paint that caused it to yellow? And Ive never heard of venturefilm before, got a link for them? I know of one other company that does the (cant remember the name) and Im sure theres lots of other brands but weve used 3M before with no problems.. hopefully theyre not starting to slack in the quality department. Hell, even our stock emblems are held on with 3M adhesive.[8D] Arent they like the 1st or 2nd largest adhesive "producers", (or whatever you call it), in the world??

Let us know how your install goes
Old 09-10-2006, 11:24 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

It's called VentureShield and he's right, it comes with a limited lifetime warranty(3M's is only 5 years) only $50.00 more...sounds like a good investment.......thanks classj btw bl1nkage, thanks for the post in the "touchy" debacle and you can Google "clear bra" and all the links pop up for 3M, Venture and some others...good luck.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:26 PM
legend gt
1st Gear Member

Hi, the Venture film is the way to go. I install invisible bra kits.The 3M material has serious problems and is very orange-peely.I have installed all the products on the market and Venture is the best. Check this website:WWW.invisiblepatterns.com .If you are near central Ohio I could do your car.I have had the complete kit on my GT for over a year now,just great.The front bumper needs the most protection from road debris. The website will give you a dealer near you.If you have any other questions email me.Legend GT
Old 09-10-2006, 11:29 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Np, I had my fair share of arguments on here too.. I think everyone has...I just try to stay out of it now. Just seems like its alot funner to come on here and talk about your cars and not argue. [8D] There will always be the guys that come from the import forums and start stuff though.. theyre just fun to mess with.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:30 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: legend gt

Hi, the Venture film is the way to go. I install invisible bra kits.The 3M material has serious problems and is very orange-peely.I have installed all the products on the market and Venture is the best. Check this website:WWW.invisiblepatterns.com .If you are near central Ohio I could do your car.I have had the complete kit on my GT for over a year now,just great.The front bumper needs the most protection from road debris. The website will give you a dealer near you.If you have any other questions email me.Legend GT
Hey legend, could you post a few pics of your cars bra please.. if its not too much to ask?
Old 09-10-2006, 11:54 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

It's called VentureShield and he's right, it comes with a limited lifetime warranty(3M's is only 5 years) only $50.00 more...sounds like a good investment.......thanks classj btw bl1nkage, thanks for the post in the "touchy" debacle and you can Google "clear bra" and all the links pop up for 3M, Venture and some others...good luck.
Thats the stuff. I just went and compared the kit to the small roll of 3M I have in stock and the venturefilm looks much nicer.

And yes, on porsche 944's, there are factory stone guards on the sides that are 3m film precut from porsche. They yellow over time , get chalky, and need replacing every 5-7 years if you dont want yellow squares on the side of your car.

I figure that painting the hood and fenders is always a pita considering color match, etc. The bumper can be removed from the car and painted, besides, my bumper has a few shots in it already. I run a hood bra in the summer right now, but in the winter, it will go from almost impossible, to impossible, to keep it clean and dry and not damage the car.

I got my kit from www.lamin-x.com
Old 09-11-2006, 08:54 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

I have a clear bra on my mustang (Clearshield Xpel) and also on my caddy CTSV (3M). I installed the 3M kit on the caddy myself (I have auto body experience and installed some big transam decals back in the day).

I swear by it. I am not concerned about yellowing; the mustang is white, so time will tell. The caddy is silver.

Everyone that I know of (5-7 people) who paid for a DIY kit, with no experience, FAILED when trying to install it. It requires a lot of patience, a lot of light, a warm garage, and a lot of dust control.

For the mustang, I had a pro do the hood, bumper, and fenders (I didn't want to spend a whole day); I added the headlight/foglight kit and the wheel openings myself (3M though). It is a lot of money but the alternative is chips all over the place. When I compare my caddy (15K miles) to another caddy of similar miles with no clear bra, the difference is striking. It is also much easier to clean off bugs, etc.

I don't "disbeleive" y'all when you say the Venturefilm is better than 3m or vice versa. I can tell you that I cannot visually tell the difference between 3M or the xPel. I can also tell you that 3M has been making plastic films for as long as anybody, so I trust their product. I can also tell you that my self-installed 3M product had no lifted edges or bubbles after installation; the xPel that a pro had done for me needed to have a few portions squeegeed back down the day after installation (and it has stayed down since). I can't tell if that was installer error or a weaker adhesive. But I certainly have not noted any serious problems with 3m (the caddy has since been redone again with 3M after some minor auto body repair). LegendGT...I am not trying to argue but just posting my experiences.

While the film technology is old, their applications as clear bras are fairly new and anybody who opines authoritatively on their longevity is basing their opinion on a small sampling of data. The Venturefilm may be tyhe best, but I have not noted any significant visual differences in any of the applications that I have seen, and more time is needed to see how these kits hold up in different environments......
Old 09-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Booster
I ♥ Acer

Both my 06 vehicles came with it already applied. Ford charged me $450 for it and I couldn't do anything since it was already attached to the car. It also included a plastic windshield protector which covered the entire windshield. My other vehicle it was added at no charge. You can't notice it unless you're right up next to it.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:18 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

How about a thread having all the Mustang girls here showing pictures of themselves in their clear bra!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:54 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

LOL... works for me..[8D]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clear bra