Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW FIREBIRD

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 03:28 AM
spooky
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: NEW FIREBIRD

hope they fix the Firebird/Trans Am so it doesn't smile like the camaro in front. bring back the T-Tops!
Old 09-11-2006, 03:31 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

GM has officially stated that they will not do a firebird.

I just dont see how it is possible. Here they are whining about the GTO (austrailian jelly bean) sales. And they want to now sell 100K camaros a year, plus a good number of GTO's, and firebirds???

Never happen. GM is planning a camaro, and a GTO. That has been the official word from GM and what was stated at the GTOAA meet by GM reps this summer.

Now, if they are willing to sell only a handfull of each it can be done. But they whould all be radically different looking.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:17 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

I imagine they don't want to "cannibalize" one another, it makes sense, now, but what about when the market dries up b/c the GTO is too expensive....the Camaro will be a price leader(like the Mustang) in it's segment. Pontiac will be left out in the cold(I guess it's payback for all those Trans Ams they sold in the 70s-while the Z/28 took a momentary dirt nap) again and we'll see Oldsmobile/Plymouth and for you oldies Studebaker all over. That would be a shame...I know there's a lot of naysayers talking about too many retro-themed cars returning.....but if the public wants it.....the customers always right, yes? I'm not a GM fan, but I do respect their ability to make some kick *** muscle cars(engine in front, diff in the back) and only the Corvette and various Caddies fit that mold(all costing over 50K). So where's the little guy? I've always been a Ford man(keep your jokes to yourself-lol) and we need more than one opponent(JapCrap doesn't count). Maybe help the Pontiac guys out with a little signature rally here? IMO
Old 09-11-2006, 04:22 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Id like to see someone design a genuine, rear engine, rear wheel drive car with a muscle car look and sound and style of driving. Once all these other companies start getting back into the retro thing, Ford needs to break the mold again and switch it up a bit.. make either a new model, or revive an old one and switch the engine to out back.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:44 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

That would be very cool, but too expensive, that would be 911 Porsche territory. It doesn't hurt to wish for really cool stuff though, does it?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:02 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

it never hurts to wish for really cool stuff

...what hurts is when you realize that your wishes will never come true
Old 09-11-2006, 05:07 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

That's a good looking car, no doubt. More futuristic, than retro, and to me it looks happy or smiling sorta, not really aggressive. I'll hang on to my 'Stang, until FORD comes out with the next generation. JMO
Old 09-11-2006, 05:10 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

i just hope ford doesnt do something stupid with the next generation
Old 09-11-2006, 05:14 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

Not sure what they could do to top the S197 overall, but, some refinements would do.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:15 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

ORIGINAL: jfrush

ORIGINAL: GGIII

That photochop is hideous compared to the "Bandit" styled one that is floating around.

I like it. But I do agree that the bandit one looks better.

"Can't you see boy? I'm in high speed pursuit of a black Trans Am!" I love Jackie Gleason.....the Bandit car is pretty sweet.
I agree, the Bandit is the only way to go. One "mean" looking car.

GM needs to get that stupid "smile" off the front of the Camero and make it look more like the "RS" model only "meaner" looking.

Quick Reply: NEW FIREBIRD