Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on ordering a new Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:28 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

Default Advice on ordering a new Mustang

I have been thinking about buying a new Mustang ever since the Texas State Fair last year. I sat in a new black '06 with the Pony Package and white stripes. It fit like a glove. I let the fire burn for a while until I made the decision to sell my '57 Chevy.

I have been sitting on this car for the last 10 years. To make a long story short, I was to the point of assembly when the project took a turn for the worst. The new paint turned out to be mixed incorrectly and did not fully cure. That was enough to kill the motivation-plus all the money and time lost. The paint manufacturer would only refund me for the materials-not the labor. I didn't have the $$$ to sue NAPA, so I settled. Well, after getting married, a daughter, and a move to Portland Oregon. and then to Wylie Texas-I am ready for a change. I decided to sell my '57, build my '31 Plymouth coupe, and buy a Mustang to drive daily. I am also selling my '97 Chevy Z71 daily driver.

Call this a mid-life crisis or something-I am only 34, but I need the change. I have always liked Mustang's, but growing up in a Chevy family-the F word was not spoken...

Last weekend I test drove a Deluxe V6 5-speed and a Premium GT 5-speed. The GT was nice, but after building and racing Chevy's (sorry guy's) the GT did not seem worth the price difference. Granted it pulled hard getting on the freeway, but in traffic the V6 seemed to have more usable torque and was a little more user/daily driver friendly.

I know I have just upset all the GT owner's-sorry... If I had the extra $$$ I would go for the GT though...

I have almost completely decided on a '07 Vista Blue Premium Coupe with a 5-speed, light gray cloth interior, Pony Package, white strip, and interior upgrade.

I would like to know from Pony and non-Pony owners if the Pony Package is really worth it???

I have also looked at some of the postings on stripes-have any of you had problems with the dealer installed hood, roof, and trunk decals??? I will try to work with the dealer to see if they will include them in the deal...

Thank you for a good forum-I have learned alot from this site this past week.

Brian

Old 09-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Advice on ordering a new Mustang

the GT did not seem worth the price difference. Granted it pulled hard getting on the freeway, but in traffic the V6 seemed to have more usable torque and was a little more user/daily driver friendly.
Why should we be upset? You pretty much just gave yourself away with that tidbit of brilliance.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:41 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

My first advice .... order an Orange one ...

I had my choice between either a Pony V6 or a Premium V6 ... I chose the Premium ... I don't like the Pony grill and didn't want the Fender emblems. I bought a set of GT take-off sway bars and GT wheels which the Pony package would have had .... but I did miss out on the Anti-Lock brakes ... which are no big deal to me ... So I saved $1200 on the pony package but spent $600 on the wheels and bars .. so overall saved $600. I spent the $600 saved on GT skirts, hood stripes, side louvers and a black rear spoiler to replace the factory yellow one ....

And I don't miss not having a GT one bit ....

Old 09-11-2006, 11:57 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

I saw an orange one on the lot-it was not my first choice. I think I would either choose Black or Green as a second choice.

I like the colors on your's-the side stripes really set it off. I have thought about not ordering the pony package and spraying (non-NAPA) stripes myself to make it a little unique.

The price for the package is now $750-this is why I am thinking about ordering it. I have seen the wheels alone going for close to that on Ebay. I could remove the white Mustang stripe, paint my own, and be ahead.... Maybe.

Thanks for the advice....
Old 09-12-2006, 12:05 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Yeah ... The Pony is cheaper in 2007 because they no longer include the anti-lock brakes & traction control as part of the package. It now costs $795 forthe Anti-lock brakes so the cost of the 2006 Pony package is now almost $1600 for 2007 .... I also notice there is no mention of the 2007 Pony Package including the GT suspension with the sway-bars .... wonder if they made the Pony Package purely cosmetic for 2007?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:27 AM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

From what I have seen at the Ford website, the package includesony grille, side stripes, rear spoiler, GT 17" wheels, fender badges, and special floor mats. I guess the big plus for me are the wheels and the spoiler.

Its's a shame they took away the performance parts...
Old 09-12-2006, 12:37 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Keep in mind ALL v6 premiums come with the Spoiler and the tape side stripes .... The pony package is really just getting you the wheels, emblems & grill w/lights ....

My car was a Premium and came with a spoiler (now in my attic since I installed Black take-off) and the side stripes which I had the dealer remove during prep before delivery.

This is my V6 Premium immediately after driving it home from the dealer .... Cost me $19,800 with the X-Plan and $1,000 cash back ...

Old 09-12-2006, 01:34 AM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

I would get the spoiler delete option. Then get the Cervini Ducktail spoiler kit! That is my only regret.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:25 AM
vponymike6
2nd Gear Member

Hello, I see you have made a good choice (lol see my signature)...i love my car and it only has about 6,000 miles on it...I would be glad to sell it to you, you could save some cash and save the ford aggravation..please let me know if you are interested...I live in warren Michigan which i know is a hell of a cruise..but still it would be worth getting it off of me if your interested..as for the pony package let me tell you its definately worth every penny! the 17's are beautiful, i love the foglights in the grille and it is equipped with anti lock breaks which gives you a break on insurance and could save an accident...It would be great if we could hook something up. The reason I am selling it is because I am looking to upgrade to a GT...I love my car but thanks to these guys here on MF I have turned into a total car junkie and have plans of eventually supercharging a mustang gt..(i know i have pulled a 180) The only thing really different about the 06 and 07 is the hoodscoop on the 07 (which imo doesnt look all that great) and if you wanted that its an easy upgrade.
feel free to email me for more pictures of the car, she is in lot condition..
Michael

mike_passanante@hotmail.com
Old 09-12-2006, 09:28 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

Are your LeMans Style stripes painted or decals ? and What are their dimensions ?

Quick Reply: Advice on ordering a new Mustang