Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repost: Anyone tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 07:37 PM
gambi06

Default Repost: Anyone tried this?

I am going to post a question I posted in another forum site to see what kind of answers I get from people over here. The other place I posted it, I got a lot of kids telling me to get nitrous. Not at all what my question was about!
Just wanting to see if the poeple on THIS forum are more open to discussion on "road less traveled" ideas! Here goes:

HI everyone....I'm new to this forum, as I've just purchased a new '06 GT.

I won't call myself a convert, I've been a musclecar-era Chevy guy since before a lot of you were born, probably....but I will say, My GT is a whole lot of fun to drive!!

Has anyone ever tried plumbing their AC into their intake?
Seems like it could be a good way to get a boost during the hot summer months...(although you'd suffer in that nice black interior!)

I'd be curious to know if anyone's tried this.... I KNOW IT"S NOT GOING TO GIVE YOU A CRAPLOAD MORE POWER--I don't need to be told that nitrous or a supercharger is the way to go for big gains.....so would yanking the whole mess out and putting a 572 inch big block chevy in it's place, if the intent was to go as fast as possible and spend the most amount of money!!! My goal is to find FREE horsepower gains- you know...like the hot rodders do it?

Also, Why are tuners only good for use on one car?

Thanks!

gambi06

'06 Redfire GT
bone stock (for now!)
Old 09-13-2006, 08:10 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Repost: Anyone tried this?

This trick does not work. It's simple thermodynamics.

The problem is that the A/C compressor requires energy to run. The HP gained by cooling the intake charge is less than the HP you use up by running the A/C. This is true becasue the A/C is not 100% efficient. (NOTHING in the real world is 100% efficient)

Now then, you could, for example, use the A/C compressor to charge up a pressurized tank of liquid coolant. Then, stop the compressor and discharge your stored, pressurized, refigerant to cool either the intake or an intercooler if you have a forced-induction system. That would provide some extra HP--BUT it could not be a constant thing. It would be like Nitrous, you only have "so much juice" available to use. Once the tank is empty, that's it, party's over. Of course, this little trick would be COSTING you HP when you were in the process of pressurizing your coolant tank.

As for the tuners, they only work on one car because the people that designed them made them that way on purpose. The tuner reads the VIN of the car it's connected to and stores it in memory. It won't allow tunes to be loaded on other cars until you reset the original car back to OEM spec. They do this so they can sell more tuners. AFter all, if this wasn't the case, one guy would buy a tuner and then share it with his buddies.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:21 PM
gambi06

Default RE: Repost: Anyone tried this?

Nicely explained...Thanks AL!

One thought: Doesn't the compressor automatically disengage during WOT?

I was thinking this mod would probably be way too much work for the effort involved, but might be useful on days when it's 100+ outside, and there's no such thing as "Cold Air" for your CAI!