Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing and keeping your car clean

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:55 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL
Default RE: Washing and keeping your car clean

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

yeh but you could get some dirty air sucked into the thing and you just get crap blown on your car . O then you wax it, you got some grit, your buffing and look a bunch of scratches, ehhh, Use a compressor to get the water out of cracks and such, works great
My shop-vac has served me well for that purpose as well.

As for waxing, I guess I've been as bad as bl1nk too, as I haven't waxed yet either. Bought the car in May, but I do plan to do it this weekend. And just like bl1nk, I have been waiting to be able to claybar first. FINALLY found a Mother's clay bar kit, so I'm all ready to go....and I'm leaning toward try NXT as my first wax. I've heard it works great on black cars, so we'll see. As for soap, I've been using Mequiars Gold Class, and to dry, I'm using a Meguiars towel of some sort that just sops up water like mad, and then I immediately follow each stroke of drying with a stroke of a microfiber. Tires -- also Meguiars -- I believe it's Tireshine or something. Great stuff.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:57 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drtuba
I actually marched Tuba in the UF band for 6 years (I took my time). Were you ever in the UF band?
Am I under oath?
Yes - not for long though - my music minor got in the way of my EE degree, but I managed to keep up with Symphonic/Wind Ensemble for 4 years (Tuba, Sax and a little trombone).
Old 09-14-2006, 01:02 AM
drtuba
2nd Gear Member

funny... I also have an EE degree....

guess its a small world
Old 09-14-2006, 01:07 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Im going to go to wally world and look for car wax.. you guys are making me feel bad lol..

btw, UF is my team.. even though I got to UCF.. last weekend was nice
Old 09-14-2006, 01:20 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

1) Poor Boy's Natty wax(Natty Blue for your car since it's Alloy-Natty Blue is for darker colored cars)
2)Lexol Leather cream- seats, Lexol Vinyltex for remainder of interior.
3)Mother's Power Ball for wheels w/Mother's mag polish & Mother's wheel cleaner
4)Any auto soap will do, take your pick, I buy the 1/2 gallon of Meguiars.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the blower - but I have a big, backpack blower that dries the car - everywhere - in no time. If you keep it waxed and beading, the water just "Run's Away" from the air. And as for the dirt sucked-up, I haven't seen a problem in all my years of having black cars. I have more of a problem with dirt in towels and such used to dry the car.

ORIGINAL: rerun

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

yeh but you could get some dirty air sucked into the thing and you just get crap blown on your car . O then you wax it, you got some grit, your buffing and look a bunch of scratches, ehhh, Use a compressor to get the water out of cracks and such, works great
Never had a dirt problem myself, but whatever works folks.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:28 PM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

i have found the best products to be MOTHERS. they are all amazing.
the reflections waxes and cleaners are great for black cars. after you use the topcoat, it actually feels like there is a layer of candy on the car.
the best technique i have used for drying is the "pat-down" method. just lay a towel on the car and just pat it down. then i use a instant detailer to get it streak/spot free.
one of the biggest problems in car care is mixing brands. the best thing to do is find a brand you like, and stick with the entire product line. that will give you the best finnishing product that you can possibly get, no matter what brand you use.
anyone that wants to check out a great car-care site can look here.
www.waxforum.com
Old 09-14-2006, 06:47 PM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

3M Wax is the best, Far superior than any of the others I used
Old 09-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Silky_Johnston
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackSpirit

Have you used meguiars nxt by any chance???
Old 09-14-2006, 07:45 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackSpirit

3M does make some good products but saying there the best is ridiculous, there are products on the market that are much easier to use and remove that are as good or superior.

Just so all you guys understand this most scratches and swirls come from when you wash the car. You would be best served by using a few high quality Sheepskin Mitts. I use three on my car one for the upper portion one for th doors and lower p-anel areas and then one for the rocker area where most of the dirt goes. I also use two 5 gallon bucket when i wash one with the soap and one with clean water to rinse the mitt each time prior o putting it back into the soap and then on the car.

As for drying i use the california water balde with Waffle Weave Microfibers towels and compressed air from my air compressor. I would suggest you spend some money on some high qaulity MF towles both teh drying kind and the detailing spray kind. Do not skimp on detail supplies. Spend the money just like you would for that CAI and Tuner

Also someone already mentioned it but you must use a car soap ONLY DO NOT use any dish soap as it removes all the wax and pulls oils out of the paint drying it out which is usually the car you see on the road that is faded to hell and blotchy.

There is a lot to keeping a car looking it's best and I am not going to write it all but for those that are willing to learn here are a few links to help you out.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

http://ocdetails.com/index.html

http://www.melncal.com/detailing/

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/guides.html

Richard

Quick Reply: Washing and keeping your car clean