Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing and keeping your car clean

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 08:37 PM
SCS06GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Washing and keeping your car clean

I've had my 06 GT for about two weeks now and today was the first day I've had to put some leather conditioner on the seats. GOOD LORD THEY WERE DRY!! Do they not put anything on them when they're made??
Old 09-14-2006, 08:40 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

just taking the nozzle off the hose and running the water off in sheets(with a previous good wax job) makes drying a sinch
Old 09-15-2006, 12:08 AM
topless05GT
1st Gear Member

There are a lot of good suggestions thus far. Owning a black car (an '05 GT vert) I needed to find a set of products that would allow me to have a reasonably short clean-up time. I found all the information I felt I needed at www.griotsgarage.com The products are easy to use, the site, and catalogs, explain how to use each of the products very well.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:24 AM
frdfrst
2nd Gear Member

wax,klasse,detailer,meguires quick detailer,every three months i strip the car using clay bar.drying,meguires yellow detailing towels,they don't strip the wax and do a real good job.seats,lexol leather cleaner & cond.rest of int.,meguires int. detail.glass,any foam cleaner is good,with the yellow towell.i have seprate towells for everything.wheels&tires,mothers back to black and water on the rims.again ever few months i use the clay bar.i used to detail cars years ago and these are the things i have found to work for me.[sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19977/CD429FF4AC724BB39E3B10192241D241.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-18-2006, 02:27 PM
drtuba
2nd Gear Member

CRUSH THE VOLS!!!
Ill be road tripping 600 miles north in my 'stang to watch the game

Sort of related - you will need to remove about a billion love-bugs from your car after that drive

Before the trip up to Knoxville I put a good thick coat of NXT wax on the car and it made the removal of the billions bugs I had at the end of the trip easier.

[IMG]local://upfiles/46064/FD5145DAD1CB411884DB22A03D64A781.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-18-2006, 04:23 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

WOOO Go Gators!
Old 09-18-2006, 05:05 PM
cool06

I started using the quick detailers (for between washings - not between waxing) about a year ago. I have not washed any of my cars all summer. The spray emulsifies the dirt and you simply wipe away. It also removes the contaminants and leaves a great finish. You can effectively "wash" your car in less than 5 minutes, and it looks great. I only wash it when there is mud or heavy dirt.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Booster
I ♥ Acer

McQuier's all the way.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:23 AM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

Before the trip up to Knoxville I put a good thick coat of NXT wax on the car and it made the removal of the billions bugs I had at the end of the trip easier.
Has anyone ever tried that new duplicolor temporary protective paint? It's for spraying on a "bra" or on your fenders, and it washes off with no residue. Comes in black and clear (and others?).

on topic: I have a Mr Clean Autodry and california water blade, but frankly find it easier to use a bucket and mitt with cheap soap, let the water sheet off the car (no nozzle) and pat up the handful of drops left over with a towel. I'll sit in the drivers seat and jump up and down, push on the bumpers, etc, to shake the last bit of water loose from the handles, grille, mirrors, and pat that up.

Then it's meguires NXT every month or so, and if I'm feeling froggy, the next day I'll cover it with a coat of pure carnuba wax - not a cleaner wax - for a bit of extra depth, although the nxt looks great by itself. I have some black magic I use on plastics/trim, and stoners invisible glass on the glass. I seem to have to wash my windows inside every time they go down they get streaked, which is a lot on a vert. I need moleskin.

A note on NXT, turtle wax ice, and other synthetics: just beacuse it isn't beading water doesn't mean it's not protecting, or gone. The polish itself doesn't bead water, they put additives in to bead water so that the old farts raised on carnuba will think it's doing something. Wipe your finger along the paint, if it's squeaky - then it's gone. If it's sliding smooth, it's still there. In fact, I've found that once that water beading stuff wears off, the surface is harder, and doesn't grab dust anymore. I've noticed this on my rims, just blasting them with a hose a month after applying nxt just rinses the brake dust right off.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

Im going to go to wally world and look for car wax.. you guys are making me feel bad lol..

btw, UF is my team.. even though I got to UCF.. last weekend was nice

Bl1nk, hate to bring it up again but I just gotta ask....have you clayed and waxed your car yet? Ya know you better get it done or we'll keep hounding you about it. I did mine this past weekend for the first time so I'm safe.