Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Mustangs - GT or V6? Convertible or Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

Default 2007 Mustangs - GT or V6? Convertible or Coupe?

Hi all, just found this forum after posting elsewhere, nice to find a mustang specific forum. Anyway, I've decided on buying an 07 Mustang. This will be my first sports car. I have no plans to race, I just want a powerful car. So that said, I'm trying to decide on which model to get, and can use some advice.

I test drove the 2006 6 cylinder and GT models. As far as power goes, I think the 6 cylinder was perfectly strong enough for me, and the GT might be overkill. However I've heard that the 6 cylinder models were not as "reliable" as the 8. I'm not fooling myself into thinking I'm buying a mustang for reliability, but that doesn't change the fact that I'd prefer to buy a quality car, and if the GT is better, I'll spend the extra cash. Can I get some opinions on that? Can any mustang (2005+) owners vouch for them or knock them?

Next I'm trying to decide between a coupe or a convertible. The main reasons I wouldn't want a convertible are road noise and break-in problems. I'll be driving with the top up often enough. A salesman (who claimed to be honest, ha!) said that the convertibles are loud and that it just gets worse as the car gets older. Any convertible owners out there to verify this for me? I heard the 2005+ convertibles are well insulated. Obviously I haven't had the chance to test-drive one yet.

Any other advice is more than welcome, thanks all
Old 09-16-2006, 10:39 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Mustangs - GT or V6? Convertible or Coupe?

Right now ford is having special pricing on left over 2006's, so you might want to consider one of them. Last time i checked they were offering under invoice plus 0% financing for 72 months.

As to the convertible being loud, no way, very quiet when it comes to convertibles. I have had both a 2000 V6 Vert and now a 2007 GT Vert and can tell you they are not loud at all, i mean if you are expecting drop dead quiet, well then stay away from the vert's and the GT's.

Personaly i owned a V6 and now own a 2007 GT, I can tell you the V6 left me wanting more, so i got the GT this time around and have never been happier.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Mike, it doesn't sound like price is the problem in your decision. Hell, get the GT vert! You will be smiling for years!

If you can't justify that, I'd get the GT at least, I've had good experience with ford V8s and the gas mileage on these new cars is pretty darned respectable too. As siggy said, you can probably strike a good deal on an '06.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input, I'm also very happy about the gas mileage, I was worried it'd be like 12 mpg

Price is definitely an issue though, I'm going to be saving for the next 5 or 6 months so I can make a big down-payment. I don't think I can afford a GT convertible, but I could afford either a GT coupe, or a V6 convertible. If I get a new job I might be able to afford the GT convertible, but I'm not counting on that

glad to hear the convertibles are fairly quiet! I'd love to have one, maybe I'll go for a V6 convertible

I tried to find a 2006 model but couldn't find the exact one I wanted, and the dealers wouldn't budge on the price when it was 0% for 72 months, so I was a little put-off. Now the 0% is gone, but they're offering specials on the invoice price. No one can find the model I want though, manual tranny + vista blue

Anyone in the New York (long island) area able to recommend a dealership?
Old 09-16-2006, 11:04 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mike521

Hi all, just found this forum after posting elsewhere, nice to find a mustang specific forum. Anyway, I've decided on buying an 07 Mustang. This will be my first sports car. I have no plans to race, I just want a powerful car. So that said, I'm trying to decide on which model to get, and can use some advice.
Hey Mike...Same boat here!!!!!!
Siggy is right, I've driven them all and the vert while a *wee bit* louder, is not a major difference for a vert.....
Check a Sebring for comparison....you can't even hold a converstaion in one of those travling at 60mph.....

As for V6 vs GT,,,,I am sleepless at night trying to figure this one out.....

Pluses for GT:

I keep my cars forever.
I do all my own work.
Heads and block same metal.
Parts availability better.
The sound...Beautiful.............
The prestige.......

Pluses for V6:

Seriously, normal driving it's not THAT much of a difference.
passing is fine.
Off the line is fine (get a tune to eliminate torque limiter on both GT/V6)
Mileage is MUCH better in heavy foot driving.
The GT mileage dives big time, where the V6 takes a little hit with a heavy foot.
Nature of the beast IMHO.

From what I have seen (2007) the vert V6 equipped is about the same price as the GT coupe stripped.

Goven that choice, I would go Vert.........
You just can't beat the top down stigma......

However, I think I am going for a 2007 coupe/premium with Pony/IUP/auto....

Why?
It's a damm good deal and according to what I have read, less than $1000.00 and a little elbow grease will get me
a car that I will enjoy driving and with low insurance and fuel costs.

for me, I'm looking at $22k out the door, tax included for an x-plan price on a V6 pony auto/IUP/antilok/airbags/stripe/upgraded alarm and leather....

Good price?
Can I do better?
Advice needed!!!!!

Don't be shy

A GT auto stripped would cost me closer to $30.00k

not worth it IMHO......

So reality check....Would I take the GT at $24k...dammmed yes I would.....!

Old 09-16-2006, 11:56 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Mike521 Date 9/16/2006 8:21:13 PM

I test drove the 2006 6 cylinder and GT models. As far as power goes, I think the 6 cylinder was perfectly strong enough for me, and the GT might be overkill. However I've heard that the 6 cylinder models were not as "reliable" as the 8. I'm not fooling myself into thinking I'm buying a mustang for reliability, but that doesn't change the fact that I'd prefer to buy a quality car, and if the GT is better, I'll spend the extra cash. Can I get some opinions on that? Can any mustang (2005+) owners vouch for them or knock them?

Next I'm trying to decide between a coupe or a convertible. The main reasons I wouldn't want a convertible are road noise and break-in problems. I'll be driving with the top up often enough. A salesman (who claimed to be honest, ha!) said that the convertibles are loud and that it just gets worse as the car gets older. Any convertible owners out there to verify this for me? I heard the 2005+ convertibles are well insulated. Obviously I haven't had the chance to test-drive one yet.

Any other advice is more than welcome, thanks all
Mike521 - Welcome to the forum!!!

I was faced with a similar choice a year and a half ago - GT coupe or V6 ragtop. The price was about the same, and money was a consideration for me. If you look below in my signature, you will see my choice. Although having a GT would have been nice, I have NEVER regretted my decision to buy the 4.0L V6. Top-down driving is great (I had a '98 3.8L V6 ragtop, and the new S197 Mustang is a nice improvement). I drove the car all last winter without any problems (added 200-300 lbs in the trunk for driving in the snow). I've always said that everyone should own a convertible at least once in their life.

Bill Jr.
28hopup
Old 09-17-2006, 12:07 AM
PhotonSabreX

Mike,

Glad to hear you're going to be joining the Mustang owner's circle.

Personally, I'd get the GT.

It's actually better that you can only afford the couple, because (in my own personal opinion), the coupe looks more agressive and stylish.
The gas milage really isn't THAT significant between the two. If you have leadfoot, you're going to be inefficient in either case. The V6 is still a relatively large engine at 4 liters. You might as well get the one that has the better sound and performance to it. I average 22 mpg combined city and highway driving in a manual transmission. That's VERY respectable for a ~300hp V8. You will soon stop caring about gas milage because the GTs sound and drive so great.

I think the GTs just have more style and authenticity in them. Anyone can drive the V6. But when you're rolling in a GT, it's much more commanding of the road.

Also, just in my opinion, I find V6 convertibles to be on the feminine side, especially if you get one in the wrong color.

Whatever you decide upon, sweet. Unto each thier own. This is just my .02.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:14 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

I have to reiterate my vote for the GT. And I am a vert guy.

I have an '88 5.0 vert, but since I bought my '06, I have no desire to drive it. I never thought I would say that, but it's true. It's also true that there is a possibility that I would love a V6 vert as much or more, but I doubt it.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:30 AM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

I am in a similiar situation. I drove the GT coupe with a 5-speed and a V6 coupe with a 5-speed. I liked the sound/rumble of the GT, but the V6 more at home in traffic and was easier to drive.

The salesman I have been working with said he has driven all the different combinations of the new Mustangs. His recomendation is to buy either a V6 with a 5-speed in a Pony package, or a GT with automatic.

I am ordering a '07 Coupe-Vista Blue V6 with 5-speed, light gray interior, and the Pony package. I personally like the lines of the coupe over the convertible.

It all depends on what YOU like. I spent time at different dealers-test drove a couple cars-and looked at pictures of the 05-07 Mustangs on the internet to get ideas. You need to decide on either a coupe or convertible and if you are going to make changes to the exterior and/or performance. If you are going to make alot of changes to it-don't buy a car with all the extras you are not going to keep. Buy a cheaper/less equiped one and then make it your own. I have seem many of the cars here that started as a plain V6 or GT and have been transformed into unique one of a kind hot rods. With different body kits, wheels, stripes, and grilles-you can really stand out from the crowd.

Good Luck.....
Old 09-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

thanks again for all the opinions, it sounds like I can buy a convertible with confidence. That's great, I was looking forward to driving across the country with the top down next summer

so now the choice is between the 6 and the 8, I definitely can't afford GT convertible, so I'll either be saving for a while to get that, or I'll go for a 6. I'm leaning toward a 6 right now, but I do like the appearance of the GT more. will have to think about it, I'll be saving for 3 - 6 months so I'll have time to decide. will be sticking around these forums while I do so!

Quick Reply: 2007 Mustangs - GT or V6? Convertible or Coupe?