Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winter beater

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:31 PM
cnapsys
2nd Gear Member

Default winter beater

hey guys,
I've been looking around online and local magazines for a couple of weeks now.
Instead of getting a 2k junk that would not even hold for this winter I was considering getting an escape for about 7-8k
what do you guys think? would it hold up for a couple of years?
what I was looking at where '01s-'02s with under 100k miles.
I drove a couple yesterday. 1st one had a constant tapping from the engine, the other had the engine all smoking when we got back to the dealer. CEL was on and he had the nerve to tell me it was just a sensor
I was wondering if you guys have any tips/tricks I should be looking for next time I drive one.
What should I be looking for in particular. what should be the top mileage I should consider when buying an escape.

thanks for your help in advance
Old 09-21-2006, 03:48 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: winter beater

I have not been in the used car market for a couple of years, but in my opinion an escape is one of MANY mediocre vehicles that are out there. For 7-8 kilobucks you should have a lot of low mileage mediocre vehicles to choose from, and even some good ones. If you need a compact SUV then that limits your selection, but gosh you have jeep libertys and Honda CRVs and Kias and Hyundais and GM's out the wazoo.
What is the draw to the escape........or are you merely exhibiting brand loyalty (which should be commended ;but Ford lost my brand loyalty years ago. Now I'm an equal opportunity automotive consumer, though with a preference for 'merican cars)
Old 09-21-2006, 03:58 PM
SCS06GT
1st Gear Member

One of my best friends owns an 02 escape. He's had nothing but problems with it. My girlfriend and I though, bought an 06 escape as her daily driver a couple months ago and it's been a great car. I've heard numerous times that the first couple years of the escape were problem ridden right out of the factory and wouldn't chance it with a "worn in" Escape.

If you're going to continue to be brand loyal (which I also highly commend), check out an explorer. I've had two. The first was a 98 that I got rid of with 150K miles and an 02 that I just traded in for my new baby that had 120K. I had ZERO problems with either vehicle and am considering going back to a 98-99 as my winter vehicle.

No matter which way you decide, good luck!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:31 PM
cnapsys
2nd Gear Member

brand loyalty has nothing to do with it. (well...maybe... :-)
I drove a liberty and a crv. the ride in the jeep was horrible, the crv was ok but the price was higher. kias and hyundais are more expensive here (Chicago).
could not find a decent one under 10k
the only thing that made me think of an escape was that it is a cheap car. parts/labor cheaper than anything else I can think of.
explorer? out of the question... already got a v8 and that is enough gas sucking :-)
other compact SUV's that I've been looking for: Isuzu amigo, rodeo, vehicross; jeep wrangler (my fiancee hates 'em too much); mazda tribute (couldn't find one for 7-8k)
let me know if you guys can think of any problems I could spot right away on an escape.
I'm gonna be driving 3 tomorrow and would like to know if there's anything i should look for in particular.
thanks a lot!
Old 09-21-2006, 05:32 PM
BAMFstang
3rd Gear Member

I just sold my 01 Esacape a few months ago. It had 98k on it and still ran like new.

Of course I am the type of person who takes care of their vehicles and does routine maintenence.

It had a few recalls early on since 01 was the first model year, but that has all been resolved now.

It was comfortable and did well in the snow. Overall it is a good winter vehicle.

I let mine go for 8200.00 which was right at blue book at the time.

The key is always to find one that has been taken care of, but that's the real trick isn't it?

On a side note, my Escape was shipped to Moscow. I hear they have some tough winters over there.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:59 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Get a copy of Consumer Reports Auto Issue. They list reliable as well as unreliable used cars. You should be able to get a good used car in this price range. Get a car fax copy of the used car you plan to buy, also.