Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudest Supercharger!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Skycam1
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Loudest Supercharger!!!

You do know on any of the ribbed belt chargers if you can hear them a bearing is generally going out. The whine you here on a cog belt charger is just air under the belt being squeesed!

I met a guy that had a Vortech that was loud as hell and he loved it at a show. I told him he had a bearing going out and he told me to Fxxx off. He pulled the intake hose off and they trailered it home. About another 20 miles and the fins would have came off. They were just starting to rub. Go to the pro charger that way if anything happens no aluminum gets in the oil. They don't use the engine oil to cool with.

You want sound you should hear this monster. 700 plus HP at 18lbs of boost. The chrome X pipe on the back is the exhaust system. Sounds like an F1 car!!!

John
Old 09-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Fatblazer
1st Gear Member

BUT I hear centrifugal blowers are pretty nasty sounding as are roots style blowers.
I have a Procharger P series. 15 psi. It's loud. They do have the set up for a F series but thats strickly for the drag strip, and you will have to modify the block.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Under load, a larger twin screw blower is the loudest and most impressive. More than a roots, or a centrifugal.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:06 AM
cortc
2nd Gear Member

A roots under load is the loudest... I have a video of a dyno run that I will post when I get a chance that is awesome... It will put chills down your spine...
Old 09-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

A roots under load is the loudest... I have a video of a dyno run that I will post when I get a chance that is awesome... It will put chills down your spine...
Roots blowers tend to make a 'buzzing' sound under load. Screws make more of a 'whining' shril sound, that is considerably more audible from a distance further away. If you take an equally sized roots and screw blower, and spin them at the same speed, the screw is louder. And as a matter of fact, it's not even close. It is possible that your blower spinning at 8 psi is louder than, say, a Saleen series VI at 4 psi.
The biggest reason the screws are loudest is because of the tone. That higher pitched, shrieking tone tends to be audible from further distances away.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:59 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

This weekend I heard a procharger and it was very loud just sitting at idle. I have a vortech and you can barely hear it until it opens up......then it's on
Old 09-27-2006, 11:26 PM
paco_pony
2nd Gear Member

it's a good question. here's my take as a procharger owner.

at idle: centrifugal, particularly procharger has most noise. wouldn't necessarily call it a good noise tho. makes a very noticable, metallic whirr. have had countless people ask what sound was. some knew it was s/c, others probly thought I just needed a new engine or sumthing.

I've heard roots and twin screw at idle and can't detect any sound at idle.

WOT
:I gotta say that the twin screw sounds as awesome as anything I've ever heard under boost. that high pitched turbo-like whine sends chills down my spine!!

i can't hear procharger over exhaust note. but the blow off valve during shift is loud, intimidating and awesome as h#ll! (shupshupshupshupshup, or something like that).

good luck choosing!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:35 PM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

I have the Kenne Bell twin screw. I really do not hear much, but my wife said that it sounded pretty good when I drove past her car on the road. Someone had a link to a video of a Whipple a couple of months ago. It sounded wicked...vacuum cleaner on steroids!
Old 09-28-2006, 01:21 AM
cortc
2nd Gear Member

I have a video of a hybrid roots that sounds like a turbine; it is so loud you can't hear the exhaust... I will try to get it linked up when I get a chance... A few weeks ago I saw back-to-back dyno pulls of a KB, Saleen & Hybrid Roots and the roots was the loudest and had the highest pitch...

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

Roots blowers tend to make a 'buzzing' sound under load. Screws make more of a 'whining' shril sound, that is considerably more audible from a distance further away. If you take an equally sized roots and screw blower, and spin them at the same speed, the screw is louder. And as a matter of fact, it's not even close. It is possible that your blower spinning at 8 psi is louder than, say, a Saleen series VI at 4 psi.
The biggest reason the screws are loudest is because of the tone. That higher pitched, shrieking tone tends to be audible from further distances away.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:57 PM
twinturbomustang
1st Gear Member

VROOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH VROOMM PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH than u hit rev limmiter VROMOMOMOMOMOMMM PSHHH!!!! goddam dude cargasm