Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 11:00 AM
mikerdrocker
1st Gear Member

Default mufflers

I am looking for Ax back mufflers for a 2007 that are loud but legal. Are the flowmasters good?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:43 AM
06 tgstn vert

Default RE: mufflers

I have (hang on here dont jump to conclusions) SLP's nod the loudmouths just reg. SLP's. Sound great I know that it's a cheap name but didn't like the coarse sound of the Bassani's I had and got these. Try their website youll hear the clip and like it.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

One Word-CORSA
Old 09-24-2006, 01:10 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I've never heard anything bad about Corsa. Everyone who has them seem to be happy with them. SLP loud mouths are stupidly over priced. They are just pipes with no mufflers at all. They have nice tips but there is no way two short peices of pipe with tips and some hangars should cost as much as the SLP's do.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:24 PM
rnail
1st Gear Member

Welcome.

Sound is really a personal thing and many people have different opinions on what would sound good. Listen to some sound clips and go to a few swap meets in person. I too have been looking for the perfect sound - actually obscessing over it. Tried one exhaust which sounded very good, but was a little loud for me and not quite what I was looking for, so I keep looking.

Here are a few of my impressions:

Flowmasters are a chambered aluminized muffler, sound good, slight louder than stock at idle, slight deeper, wide open throttle (WOT) scream pretty good, but not excessive. They don't have as much of the original flowmaster sound, since they were trying to minimize drone which can happen in these cars at 1300-2100 RPM. A few sound clips.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...lers/index.php
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...onytailcam.flv
http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ermufflers.flv

IMCOs are chambered aluminaized and have true old throaty muscle car sound (old Flowmaster), Extremes moderately loud, Pros not as much - tradeoff is more drone.

http://www.grabthepower.com/mustang-promo-front.html

Borla Stingers = FRPP (Ford racing) are straight through stainless type, and have an aggressive wonderful sound, deep, mod loud but not too loud, mod drone. Aggressive scream at WOT. I had these but really wanted something just slightly louder than stock. Really should look into these, alot of people have these and the fit is good.

I have several sound clips on my computer which I can email, and there are many you can search for on the forum.

FRPP "GTA' mufflers. Ford Racing sells these which are standard equipment stainless with X-pipe on the GTH and Shelby Mustang. Slight deeper, slight louder than stock. I have yet to hear a good clip with them on stock Mustang H-pipe.

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...=evilchris.flv

Corsas are slight expensive stainless, straight through design stainless. Not much louder than stock or around town, but really scream at WOT and absolutely no drone. Alot of people like these, but don't expect muscle car sound down low.

http://www.corsaperf.com/mustang.htm

SLP loudmouths - enough said. Straight through desing, Very loud. Wicked.

Enjoy and good obscessing. Richard

Old 09-25-2006, 11:48 PM
mikerdrocker
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone and thanks a lot for sound links (rnail) that really help. Mike
Old 09-26-2006, 12:04 AM
mikerdrocker
1st Gear Member

with the SLP loudmouth do you have to retune or can you just bolt on?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:17 AM
06stangdreamin

SLP is bolt on, no tune required.. If you want to know how they sound unbolt the stock mufflers, its the same sound and its beautiful! Its loud, mean and it scares small children, and cops dont seem to care as long your not regularly powershifting right past them.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:36 PM
mikerdrocker
1st Gear Member

Will the SLP Loudmouth exshaust cause you to fail emissions?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikerdrocker

Will the SLP Loudmouth exshaust cause you to fail emissions?
NO, the Loudmouth has nothing to do with emissions. I have the complete SLP package, Ceramic coated long tube headers, catted X-Pipe, and Loudmouth Axle-backs. Very loud, AND NOT OVERPRICED. They are of the finest material (304 Stainless) and construction. Very fine product. I love them. Yes, they are loud...sounds like a dragster. Just don't drive around town like an idiot and you shouldn't be hassled by the cops. Enjoy the loudness out on the highway, away from town cops; you'll love them! SLPs ARE NOT A CHEAP NAME! THat is bullsh!t.

Quick Reply: mufflers