Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Ford has a Shelby! Price Astronomical!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 03:13 PM
rasguedo

Default My Ford has a Shelby! Price Astronomical!!!

Took my 05 GT in for a service repair. When I was leaving I saw the Cobra Emblem and had to go in and see the car. Red w/ white stripes interior exactly the same as ours! Now the ticket price was in the mid 40's and the salesman said hey why dont you trade in your 05 for one. I started thinking since my 05 is paid for that maybe it could be a possible thing. Then I looked up at the front window.. Price $46,000 Dealers fee $25,000 total price $71,000... Are they crazy? Do all of the dealers do this kind of stuff? My GT had one price even there Gt500 had one price. Why does the Cobra get a 25,000 price increase? Does anyone know how this is calculated?
Old 09-29-2006, 03:19 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My Ford has a Cobra! Price Astronomical!!!

ORIGINAL: rasguedo

Took my 05 GT in for a service repair. When I was leaving I saw the Cobra Emblem and had to go in and see the car. Red w/ white stripes interior exactly the same as ours! Now the ticket price was in the mid 40's and the salesman said hey why dont you trade in your 05 for one. I started thinking since my 05 is paid for that maybe it could be a possible thing. Then I looked up at the front window.. Price $46,000 Dealers fee $25,000 total price $71,000... Are they crazy? Do all of the dealers do this kind of stuff? My GT had one price even there Gt500 had one price. Why does the Cobra get a 25,000 price increase? Does anyone know how this is calculated?

What the heck are you talking about? There is no Cobra Mustang for 2005/2006/2007/2008. The Shelby GT500 was the name given to this generation (S197) of the SVT Mustang starting with the 2007 model year. The Shelby GT500 has the Cobra emblems on the front fenders behind the wheel opening.......but it is called the Shelby GT500.

BTW, I work for Ford so don't try and tell me that I don't know what we build.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Well, they would call it supply and demand. I would call it taking advantage of the buying public. But, if you are stupid enough to pay that then you really can't complain. If you have more money than you know what to do with, then more power to ya. Me? I'm just supercharging my GT and a few other MODs, which will mean I have something even more unique than a stock Cobra. They certainly aren't cool enough to demand a price like that.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Thats called dealer markup or market adjustment. These guys paying 70 large for these cars are going to kick themselves in the **** 5 years from know when some 20 yr old college kid cops one for 20 something grand. If what the media says is true there will be more of these cars on the road than the teminators and in that case there is no exclusivity. Its a pedestal car to those paying 70k for these cars although fred at Evo is running one in the 10s. But hell for 70k price of the car included you could build a SICK GT and still have change left for a burger and fries.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:29 PM
itsafordthing2
1st Gear Member

yep, dealer mark-up, there was one in fredrick MD and it was marked up 20,000 and SOLD!! crazy...
Old 09-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bascho

What the heck are you talking about? There is no Cobra Mustang for 2005/2006/2007/2008. The Shelby GT500 was the name given to this generation (S197) of the SVT Mustang starting with the 2007 model year. The Shelby GT500 has the Cobra emblems on the front fenders behind the wheel opening.......but it is called the Shelby GT500.

My thoughts exactly, It irritates me people calling it a Cobra, when its not, it is a Shelby, designed in conjunction with Carroll himself. If it was called a Cobra, Carroll more than likely would not be involved as he licensed the Cobra name to ford in mid 70's when he needed the money, hence the Cobra II. I grew up in a Shelby, so thats why it bugs me when ppl call the GT500 a Cobra. Besides, this thing will bitchslap any stock Mustang Cobra on the planet.

ok RANT OFF

As far as ppl spending way too much for this thing is they have too much to begin with, just like when the Mustang Cobra first came out, they did the same thing, and when the Rich little spoiled boy gotta have it first sales peter out, they will lower the price cause they will still need to move them since they are making so many, at least 8000 per run, more than all previous Shelby models combined, it won't really be a rare car by current standards.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I guess we should just ignore posts like this when the # of member's posts is only 11!
Old 09-29-2006, 06:41 PM
rasguedo

ORIGINAL: Archion

ORIGINAL: bascho

My thoughts exactly, It irritates me people calling it a Cobra, when its not, it is a Shelby, designed in conjunction with Carroll himself. If it was called a Cobra, Carroll more than likely would not be involved as he licensed the Cobra name to ford in mid 70's when he needed the money, hence the Cobra II. I grew up in a Shelby, so thats why it bugs me when ppl call the GT500 a Cobra. Besides, this thing will bitchslap any stock Mustang Cobra on the planet.

ok RANT OFF
Yes, yes... Obviously I made a mistake and called it a Cobra. I realize that Shelby makes them. Just a mistake in the excitement of writing my message. I wrote i saw the Cobra emblem and then happened to call it a Cobra. Sorry if I offended any of you Shelby fans! It still doesnt justify a 25,000 dollar dealer markup. I also was not wowed by its looks. I thought it would be much more beautiful in person. Then again I was looking at it close up so it was hard to see the big picture.

Edit: I edited the title to better reflect what I saw
Old 09-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Oh no argument there, its just there are several posts with ppl calling them cobras, It is a beutiful car, I saw one up close at a show 2 weeks ago, i think i had wood for a couple of hours, damn guy had the hood up... no offense taken bro.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:27 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

Ours had one too. I was admiring it, and my wife says "it's only 38,000".. She was looking at the MSRP, I said "no, look here".

She also asked why the corvette was in an inflated bubble (GT).

I mean I guess if you have the cash, it's cool. But who walks into a dealership and says "hi, I want to give you nearly twice as much as that car's worth!"

If you're that guy, buy some stuff from me please. I'll sell you a torch red v6 vert for 50,000.

Quick Reply: My Ford has a Shelby! Price Astronomical!!!