Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cute little car

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 11:04 AM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

Default Cute little car

Hey guys,

Take a look at this thing. I think it kind of cool. 0-60 in 4 sec, 100% electric. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my gt but
this could be a nice little daily driver.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Patrick

[IMG]local://upfiles/24844/882E6794BB964D56BAEE8E2A4AF65882.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-30-2006, 11:12 AM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cute little car

Crap, forget what I said. I just looked at the price tag 100K [][]

Old 09-30-2006, 11:18 AM
CurtX
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I posted this in off-topic a couple months ago.https://mustangforums.com/m_1692674/tm.htm

I definately love the concept. But I don't like the price which is expected to be at least 100K. Evidently the way of the future and alternative fuels is going, if you don't want to sacrifice style and performance, you'll have to pay big bucks. Otherwise, you'll have to settle for something plain vanilla, as evident by all the current hybrids. It'll be at least a decade before car mfgs will figure out how to make more affordible alt fuel cars with style and performance.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:57 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Here's a yahoo video type report on this car...hope you can see.

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?&v...889183&cache=1
Old 09-30-2006, 01:31 PM
jonnyjon84
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CurtX

Yeah, I posted this in off-topic a couple months ago.https://mustangforums.com/m_1692674/tm.htm

I definately love the concept. But I don't like the price which is expected to be at least 100K. Evidently the way of the future and alternative fuels is going, if you don't want to sacrifice style and performance, you'll have to pay big bucks. Otherwise, you'll have to settle for something plain vanilla, as evident by all the current hybrids. It'll be at least a decade before car mfgs will figure out how to make more affordible alt fuel cars with style and performance.
price is always heavily inflated when introducing new technology, and most of it is to pay off the hefty R&D expenses incurred. Once demand begins to pick up, patents begin to expire, and competitors smell the money, the price will drop significantly, won't be for a while tho (at least 15-20 years).

at this time, i think the closest thing to look forward to are the plug-in hybrids...
Old 09-30-2006, 01:54 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Very encouraging for the future.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:15 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TPony

I was wondering why it looks so much like a Lotus...they're building them! Sweet little ride though.....at the rate they're selling(over 100 so far) looks like the company is in for making a profit ASAP. Considering the look(very Lotus-like) and the type of vehicle it is(sports car) and what things cost nowadays(and for the foreseeable future), I seriously doubt that 100K price will come down, maybe it'll lead to other, less glamorous models to be developed, but they're still gonna have to be light, 2 seater type of cars to get the kind of range(at least 250 miles per charge) we gasoline & hybrid car owners expect. Although I'd gladly buy one to commute to just work & back instead of riding public transportation(I live in L.A.) if they could somehow make the price closer to $20K(I know, wishful thinking!)
Old 09-30-2006, 02:33 PM
jonnyjon84
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

I was wondering why it looks so much like a Lotus...they're building them! Sweet little ride though.....at the rate they're selling(over 100 so far) looks like the company is in for making a profit ASAP. Considering the look(very Lotus-like) and the type of vehicle it is(sports car) and what things cost nowadays(and for the foreseeable future), I seriously doubt that 100K price will come down, maybe it'll lead to other, less glamorous models to be developed, but they're still gonna have to be light, 2 seater type of cars to get the kind of range(at least 250 miles per charge) we gasoline & hybrid car owners expect. Although I'd gladly buy one to commute to just work & back instead of riding public transportation(I live in L.A.) if they could somehow make the price closer to $20K(I know, wishful thinking!)
well chances are the price of this particular model won't be going down, but much cheaper models will be made by competitors. Range will increase as the technology improves (namely energy capacity in the batteries, and the effeciency of the energy use). gasoline will soon be a thing of the past, although diesel fuel will still probably be used (moreso in factories).

these kinds of cars really are perfect for the city... for instance, cab drivers drive around the city all day long and probably don't even add 250 miles to the odometer. i can see the Toyota Prius already taking over Manhattan lol

EDIT: oh and the government will need to force gas stations to offer some kind of "charge station" as well
Old 09-30-2006, 04:37 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I always said that electrical cars will be a hit with the American consumer if:

a. It was affordable
b. It could go fast (more than 60PMH)
c. It looked good
d. The charge could last a long time.

This one seems to have hit almost all, but #1. Imagine a car like that at let say...$20K...I would buy one w/o a second thought. They say we are "addicted" to gas..well mass produce these little ones and see us go cold turkey on this addiction...but then...the big gas companies would have to find and alternate source of profit....
Old 09-30-2006, 09:28 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

I always said that electrical cars will be a hit with the American consumer if:

a. It was affordable
b. It could go fast (more than 60PMH)
c. It looked good
d. The charge could last a long time.

This one seems to have hit almost all, but #1. Imagine a car like that at let say...$20K...I would buy one w/o a second thought. They say we are "addicted" to gas..well mass produce these little ones and see us go cold turkey on this addiction...but then...the big gas companies would have to find and alternate source of profit....
You forgot one thing. They'll have to have an onboard device that makes the sound of a throaty exhaust before we'll buy one. The thing the makers neglect to make known when it concerns these hybrid or electirc cars, is at around the 80,000 mile mark you need to buy and change out the batteries. On a hybrid insight this costs the owner about $2900. So you supposedly save money on fuel but you wind up paying for it in battery cost. You can't trade it in either cause they won't give you crap for it when a battery change is due.