Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration in wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:09 PM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

Default vibration in wheels

I just got 20's put on and right around 55 there's a vibration in the steering wheel...it lessens as speed increases..but sometimes it's worse...i think it's temperature dependent or how i turn...i think it's a tire problem. i got a custom shop to put on the wheels..ive already taken it back there numerous times, they cant fix it. i think ill go back there and tell them to put on different tires.

any of you experienced this? any help woudl be great ,thanks.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Gman13
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: vibration in wheels

probably is the tires. what kind did you get? were the wheels brand new? make sure there is no dent or anything in the rim. Just my thoughts... I put 20s on with no problems.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:30 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

uh, did they even bother to balance them? How about getting an alignment?
Might seem silly but I don't trust any of these shops! The one I went to for some body work didn't even clean my paint on the inside of the wheelwell before repainting the quarter panel!
You need to know what they are going to do when they install the tires and watch 'em like a hawk!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:06 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

The most common problem that leads to this problem is that they were "Statically" balanced. That means that they only put weights on the inboard rim. This will balance the wheel keeping it from hopping up and down but will often allow it to wobble. Wheels MUST be balanced "Dynamically" meaning weights on both inboard AND outboard planes.

The shops won't do this unless you ask because they don't want to scratch the wheels. To keep from using clip on weights that will indeed scratch the wheels, a savvy wheel balance guy will use tape weights just behind the spokes for a dynamica balance.

If there are indeed weights on the inboard and outboard planes of the wheels, go to www.gsp9700.com and find the nearest GSP97000 Hunter machine with a knowledgable person running it. These machines not only do a dynamic balance but also have a pressure roller that can analyze the tire for Road Force Variation(RFV) which are basically stiff spots.

Unless you have worn suspension parts needing alignment to mask the ill effects of same, alignment will NOT correct vibration issues.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:29 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Yep. the below is correct. usually a "road force" balance will get rid of vibrations that the dynamically balance will miss. Of course all of this assumes that the vibe was not there before your 20's were...otherwise you might have a rotor or driveshaft balance problem......
ORIGINAL: MBDiagMan

The most common problem that leads to this problem is that they were "Statically" balanced. That means that they only put weights on the inboard rim. This will balance the wheel keeping it from hopping up and down but will often allow it to wobble. Wheels MUST be balanced "Dynamically" meaning weights on both inboard AND outboard planes.

The shops won't do this unless you ask because they don't want to scratch the wheels. To keep from using clip on weights that will indeed scratch the wheels, a savvy wheel balance guy will use tape weights just behind the spokes for a dynamica balance.

If there are indeed weights on the inboard and outboard planes of the wheels, go to www.gsp9700.com and find the nearest GSP97000 Hunter machine with a knowledgable person running it. These machines not only do a dynamic balance but also have a pressure roller that can analyze the tire for Road Force Variation(RFV) which are basically stiff spots.

Unless you have worn suspension parts needing alignment to mask the ill effects of same, alignment will NOT correct vibration issues.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:38 AM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

thanks a lot for your responses guys. well i did see some weights in the inner part of the wheel just behind the spokes. i took it in for balancing specifically.

now here are some more things i noticed. the vibration gets really bad sometimes, if i take a relatively sharp turn to the right...makes me think that the tire wasnt mounted right.

since this is an 07, and there are the TPSs inside, could that cause the vibration somewho? if they got misplaced?

or could it be the driveshaft problem? it gets really bad sometimes, and not so bad at other times...freaking weird.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:15 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Did they remove the clips on the wheel studs that hold the brake rotors in place during assembly? If not that is your problem, aftermarket wheels don't have a recess cut into them for the clips which causes the wheels to not sit flush with the rotors. The clips aren't needed to hold the rotors on, Ford puts them there to hold the rotors until the calipers are put on but they are never removed.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:22 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

"the vibration gets really bad sometimes, if i take a relatively sharp turn to the right"

at what speed? if this is a low speed rather than a high speed issue, this could be the rear diff/clutch pack problem. You sure it wasn't there before you had the new wheels and tires put on?
Old 10-02-2006, 11:30 AM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

i actually just had the clutch pack problem which i got taken care of. I take these turns at like 40 or 50..I think a right hand turn significantly lowers the vibration afterwards when i straighten out.

i took it in for balancing and the problem lessened a little right after, but yesterday it got really bad. the vibration seems so random..sometimes its really bad sometimes its not.

i never knew about the clip thing. im not sure if they took them off or not. the thing is, this shop has put these wheels on many mustangs (shelby razors) for dealers. i dont know if the dealers have had problems with them..I should ask them.

should i take it to discount tire maybe? would they be able to figure out if it really is a wheel/tire mounting/balancing issue? or back to the dealer? im not sure if the custom shop can fix this problem...

anymore ideas?
Old 10-02-2006, 11:34 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Have them pull the wheels and check for the clips, if they are there I'll bet good money that is your problem.

Quick Reply: vibration in wheels