Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do the old muscle cars compare?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 03:37 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Default how do the old muscle cars compare?

All -

I'm curious as to how our 05-07 mustang gt's compare to a 67 camaro ss 396 v-8, or a 70 super jet mustang, etc. I really want to hear stories of how it feels driving one of those vs. how it feels driving our cars. Acceleration comparisons, traction comparisons, track times, which feels faster, which is faster, top speeds, turning, etc. I want to know what it feels like in my 06 mustang gt vs. driving a top-end camaro or mustang of the late 1960's/early 1970's.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:40 PM
silvermaster92
Banned

Default RE: how do the old muscle cars compare?

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

All -

I'm curious as to how our 05-07 mustang gt's compare to a 67 camaro ss 396 v-8, or a 70 super jet mustang, etc. I really want to hear stories of how it feels driving one of those vs. how it feels driving our cars. Acceleration comparisons, traction comparisons, track times, which feels faster, which is faster, top speeds, turning, etc. I want to know what it feels like in my 06 mustang gt vs. driving a top-end camaro or mustang of the late 1960's/early 1970's.
lets just say,your car is slower.thats a nice and simple way to put it.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:51 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

My brother had a 72 Dodge Charger with a 440 magnum and somebody put 5.13 gears in it before he got it.. it got 4 miles per gallon.. lol.. back when gas was 50 cents a gallon.. then it went to a dollar a gallon and he had to sell it

that thing would move out if you didn't just sit and spin .. ( tires where no good back then )

( I was about 15 back then ) put I do remember the car being a monster...

bottom line.. put some good tires on it and I think it would eat our cars up...

JMO and only that..

Rex
Old 10-02-2006, 03:54 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silvermaster92

All -

lets just say,your car is slower.thats a nice and simple way to put it.
I agree for the most part. I've got a basically stock 06' GT 5-speed, and it is quite a bit slower (0-60) than my 2nd car, a 1971 Plymouth Road Runner 440... of course, the Plymouth is running 10.5:1 compression, Demon 750 carburation, .510 lift cam, Arias aluminum pistons, 3800 stall, MSD ignition, curved distro, and a 3.23 sure grip out back, so it's not exactly a fair comparison!

In all seriousness though, I'd say our cars (stock) would certainly be on par with the '67 SS 396 or similar. I don't think they would keep up in the 1/4 with the Hemis or 427s or 428 SCJ motors. Off the line, I'd say we could take them in stock form.

As for "feel" and all that, definitely our 'Stangs are MUCH better drivers all around, with the exception of accelleration. There's just something about the "feel" of those old cars when you mash the pedal down. And, of course with our cars, there is not the nagging "when is this thing gonna break down / when am I going to have to call a tow truck / I can't drive this thing on the street" thoughts as there are with the older cars.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

60s muscle cars had a lot of torque and a completely different sound and feel. The steering generally sucked (usually no power steering) and the suspension wasn't nearly as good as it is today. For sheer tire burning power and great sound you can't come close in most cars today. For ride, driving and overall performance today's cars beat them hands down. Mileage? Well, how about an average of around 8-12 mpg compared to what they get today.

All -

Old 10-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

No real stories yet, but I am looking forward to getting my *** handed to me by dad's 66 GT350 289 2x4bbl when i go home this month, he doesnt even know about my car yet...
Old 10-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Archion

No real stories yet, but I am looking forward to getting my *** handed to me by dad's 66 GT350 289 2x4bbl when i go home this month, he doesnt even know about my car yet...
On a platter! [&:]

Old 10-02-2006, 05:02 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

These are the kind of posts I'm looking for...direct comparisons.

MPG vs. MPG.
Accel vs. Accel
Traction vs. Traction
Torque vs. Torque
Tire Burning vs. Tire Burning
Volume vs. Volume, etc.

Any stories about driving/riding in one of those old muscle cars would be fantastic.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

ORIGINAL: Archion

On a platter! [&:]

Yeah, but it will be fun racin the old man...

Well there is one story about riding in the car, when i was about 8 i believe, my mom was driving the car, god rest her soul, we were going down I-64 through williamsburg, coming back from pierces pit, (If your not local, you wont get it). This guy in a corvette, i wanna say about a 77 small block from what she remembers, kept screwing with her on, revin the motor, pointing down the road, that standard stuff, we all belive this is the moment she lost her fear of the car, we were doin about 60, she says " I'm gettin tired of this sumbitch, Matt reach down and flip that switch in fron of you, It was the switch that dad had installed for the fuel boost pump, the 2 4bbls would suck the mech pump dry in nuthin flat, she drops it to 3rd, nails the gas breaks the tires loose (in 3rd mind you) I remember it to this day, the sound of all 8 barrels opening up and flowing through that side exit exhuast, it was one of the most beautiful sounds I have ever heard, she leaves this guy sitting on blocks, power shifting it into 4th, and keeps kickin it for a few more seconds, then lets off, and we kill the boost pump. About a minute later the guy catches up to us, pulls beside us, gives her a thumbs up, and then damn near bows his head and falls behind us all the way to Newport News when we got off.

There are others but they are even longer...

Man that is one hell of a car.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:43 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

these are the stories I want to hear :-D

Excellent story, Archion....this is what I was lookin' for!

Quick Reply: how do the old muscle cars compare?